This is a copy from the PR on github for those who don’t use it. I have taken some feedback into account from a few people who have weighed in on the matter and come up with this concept.
The concept of this PR is to find a middle ground between the current eggsac carrier and the pre #4459 eggsac carrier.
This PR will make the following changes. (From this point “normal weeds” can be substituted for “off hive weeds” Placing eggs on hive weeds is unchanged.)
- Eggsac carrier can once again place eggs on normal weeds.
- Eggsac carrier can only place 4 eggs at once on normal weeds.
- If the Eggsac places more than 4 eggs on normal weeds, their oldest placed egg will die. No hugger release.
- Eggs placed on normal weeds have a maximum lifetime of 5 MINUTES after which they will die. No hugger release.
- Eggs placed on normal weeds have a 1 MINUTE life whilst the carrier is further than 14 tiles away from them.
- If the carrier dies, all of their sustained eggs die.
Eggsac carrier at the moment is in a bit of a poor place and has gone from being very strong to quite poor. Considering the limitation of having to place only on hive weeds.
The majority of feedback I read against eggsac carrier was with the quantity of eggs able to be placed, as well as the locations they can be placed in, all across the map and with impunity.
This PR aims to address those concerns to make the eggsac both less infuriating to play against while still being satisfying to play as a frontline support or as a stealthy trapper.
Eggs can no longer be placed all over the map because of the 4 egg limit off weeds, so the carrier has to think where they want to impact the map. The carrier also has to stay within a reasonable distance to where they are impacting with their eggs which localises their impact to their immediate play area. The carrier also has to be more reactive to current events as they cannot place an egg which then becomes useful 30 minutes later.
Killing the carrier also has a small reward as in addition to removing a xeno from the game, the eggs they are sustaining are cleared. If a carrier is supporting the front and dies, the marines don’t then have to clear X number of eggs AFTER the kill.