Medical Reworks

I will preface this by saying I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CODE OKAY?!

Alright, here goes.

Over the past few weeks, I have been thinking about some changes that could be implemented to the medical system in order to make it more interesting, involving, while also making injuries have varying severities that can range from just going to a Corpsman, to needing to go shipside. Similiar to some injuries currently. Here are my ideas.

• Remove IB from Arms and Legs, while also making it less common on the Chest, Groin, and Head. In order to counteract this, Corpsmen can no longer fix IB. A marine will need to go to a FOB surgeon or go Shipside to have it fixed. It would also have an increase to the blood lost over time, and would cause organ damage.
  • Seperate brute wounds into two types. Superficial, and deep. Superficial wounds would come from things like being shot in the armor, slashed by a xeno (Except for things like Ravs and Queen) and can be healed with brute kits. Deep wounds on the other hand would be caused by things like Rav ability (The one where they stand still and charge the AoE attack), getting stabbed, speared, etc. These wounds would need to be sutured first, and then could be healed by brute kits. It could also be made so that superficial wounds can develop into deep wounds for a variety of reasons. Burn damage is seperated into multiple types. Just like brute. Small burns can be fixed with burn kits, while larger and more severe burns will need to be grafted. This would cause for medics to need to use their sutures/graft more often, as well as slightly slowing down heal rates for marines.
  • Revives apply a small amount of damage that cannot be healed, except for with shipside surgery. For example, each time you get revived, you get 10 Brute and Burn damage. But it can only be healed if you go shipside for surgery. (More revives could result in exponential damage, or less damage.)
  • Make shrapnel do less damage, but it can only be removed by a medic with a hemostat and painkillers. Make it also not cause IB or bone breaks.

My reasoning for these proposed changes is as follows.

• For the IB changes, this could stop the meta of Xenos targeting hands and feet to bypass armor, as it would give them an incentive to aim at the chest and groin since it would cause IB, which would be made slightly more deadly.

• For the Burn/Brute changes, it would add a little bit of time for marines to be healed, while not significantly nerfing a Corpsman’s ability to heal injuries.

• Shrapnel Change. Common sense. You’re not going to stab yourself to get out shrapnel. (Also will nerf Hedgehog Rav, and prevent people from softgriefing by shooting shielded ravs near teammates on purpose).

• Revive damage. Would cause for there to be more of a reason for shipside medical to be an actual benefit to marines and be a necessity. Could also make Colony Medbays actually be an important objective besides being something used for end of round larva removal.

By no means do I think these changes are something to be all added at once, or to be added at all. I just think these would be some interesting balance changes that could be implemented to the game in order to make medical more interesting and engaging, while also making injuries something to be feared.

1 Like

Could there be different types of bleeding as well?

Like Vein bleeding or an artery bleeding.

Just a quick reply to this:

For the IB changes, this could stop the meta of Xenos targeting hands and feet to bypass armor, as it would give them an incentive to aim at the chest and groin since it would cause IB, which would be made slightly more deadly.

You cannot bypass armour up to medium - the regular M3 armour has 20 melee defence and they cover legs and arms, and so do marine combat gloves (covering hands) and marine combat boots (covering feet).

There is already an incentive, if you wanted to cause IB, then against a common armour choice of M3-L, it might actually be more efficient to aim for the arms, legs, chest or groin directly, due to how the code (apparently) functions. The minimal threshold of damage to fracture the limbs I mentioned is only 10 higher than the feet and hand organs.

My issue with this is that on some maps it can become tough to get marines back to the LZ, then wait for the Alamo, then get to medbay, just for the marines to perma halfway way. It makes it much harder for combat medics to keep the frontline active if all their patients get defibbed too much and die from heartbreak far easier than the current heart damage from defibs.

These wounds would need to be sutured first, and then could be healed by brute kits. It could also be made so that superficial wounds can develop into deep wounds for a variety of reasons. Burn damage is seperated into multiple types. Just like brute. Small burns can be fixed with burn kits, while larger and more severe burns will need to be grafted. This would cause for medics to need to use their sutures/grafts more often

From my understanding when on the scanner the damage type has brackets its when you need suture or grafting to better treat the wound. So this is already somewhat in although not to a fuller capacity. Also I’d agree with trauma kit then suture (just because of how it works IRL instead of suture then kit it)

good luck coding that

If the damage has brackets, it just means you can use a brute/burn kit on that wound.
If it doesn’t have brackets, you can’t use a brute/burn kit and can only use sutures/grafts to heal that person (assuming they’re dead).

Essentially, scan a dead guy. Kit all bleeding wounds. Is burn/brute above 240? If yes, speedkit all kittable/bracketed limbs until under 240. If no kittable (bracketed) limbs left, suture/graft until under 240.
Once under 240, RM and defib.

Once you kit the wounds, they lose the brackets. Though, once you suture enough, sometimes it allows you to kit the limb again to speed up the process (since speedkitting is much, much faster than suturing)

2 Likes

For the IB changes, this could stop the meta of Xenos targeting hands and feet to bypass armor, as it would give them an incentive to aim at the chest and groin since it would cause IB, which would be made slightly more deadly.

The main reasons that xeno aim hand/foot are because of paincrit happening extremely easily.
[uses med armor values, chest fractures are more likely with light armor]
why would a runner slash a marine 22 times in the chest (it didn’t even frac chest) for them to get hardcritted
vs.
11 slashes to right hand (fractures right arm, right hand)

it takes the runner twice the slashes to crit by aiming chest and if the marine is lucky they won’t even get a fracture or organ damage, that is the reason that xenos aim hands/feet, not due to IB.
The only castes that consistently aim chest are ravagers, crushers, and queen due to their high slash damage making them actually able to break chest consistently and cause organ damage. and even then, ravs can go from 7~ slashes to 5 if they aim right hand and get lucky to get 2 fracs off.

also making IB more deadly means that marines that DO get IB are nearly the same as getting HUGGED due to needing to return to FOB doc/Synth doc/Shipside.

The “deep wounds” requiring a medic to stuture seems a bit unclear, will they bleed forever until tended? or do they just make kitting harder.

while not significantly nerfing a Corpsman’s ability to heal injuries

I do believe needing to health scan, use trama kits, use stuture on specific body parts, put away stuture, and use trauma kits would significantly slow down corpsman healing, especially for newer corpsman players.

shrapnel change is a definitive buff to hedge ravs, every single marine will need to waddle up to a medic who’s in the middle of treating someone who’s about to perma and beg for shrap removal (god forbid they didn’t pop tram earlier and now you damage them)

Revive damage

somewhat already exists in the form of heart damage, although that’s countered by peri, i’d actually support this in place of heart-damage-on-defib because ungas just chug peri and completely ignore the fact that their vital organs are shutting down.

1 Like