MsLoveShacker - Moderator Application

I decided to look at your discord sent messages and wow. You clearly have a power complex issues and need to be the center of attention. Why would I mention this at all? Because it’s just confirming what everyone posted.

When you lose a round you blame everyone but yourself, blaming XOs or anyone that you can. I’ve seen this in game as well constantly from you

No I do not think your characters are abrasive IC, I think you are abrasive as a person from what I’ve seen you type and how you act

Your note history is pretty clean but your WL CO and mentor history is not. Robotic potato has mentioned that above. The mentor stuff isn’t that big of an issue, but you received a heavy warning for a poor BE already.

I suggest you take a step back and evaluate if you really want to be staff to better the community or if you’re just attracted to the power that comes with it

I’ll also be contacting the CO council about some of the stuff I posted here

5 Likes

Heya! Sorry for taking so long to get back to you but lets just get right into it, first up your answers.

• This answer is fine. Most situations like this are very context dependent. In this case its worth considering taking action since the player is trying to get other people to shoot the MPs. Since its so highly context dependent it’ll ultimately be a judgement call to take action or not, factors to consider are if MPs are actively trying to arrest the player or if they just gave up the moment the marine ran into the DS along with other stuff like if stuff is being disrupted due to it or not. (For example the dropship not getting launched because of what the player is doing). Like I said it will be a judgement call in the moment but it is 100% worth looking into further, especially since it might spiral into something worse quickly.
  • This is fine, do remember that for verbal warnings like this you should ideally still be placing a note so someone doesn’t get 1000 verbal warnings for doing the same stuff over and over again by different staff members. You’ll also want to consider if they are a new player and might wanna point them towards our rules or help them out with stuff like a quickstart guide if they need it. (We also do have tools to rename players both in round and to change their name preference for future rounds)
  • This is correct, players don’t get to pick and choose who handles situations involving them. However tools like msay to communicate with other staff members can be useful in situations like this. There have been plenty of situations where I have asked other staff online something along the lines of “I’m not going insane right?” or “I think I’m being reasonable here?”. There is no shame in asking for a second opinion even if the ultimate decision is still up to you since you are the person who actually did the investigating and such.
    Basically your answer is fine but if a player is being particularly stubborn in their opinion that you are judging something wrong its never wrong to take a step back and try to look at the situation from a different perspective or to ask for a second opinion just to be sure.

So getting into more general stuff, I've tried to do my homework on both your notes and your discord conduct.
To start off with your discord conduct I only see you having one warning from a while back and it isn't for anything major, so no issue there. I've also looked more generally into stuff you said on the discord since it got brought up and personally I don't see anything bad enough to exclude you from staff. You're pretty active on the discord. You do sometimes get into discussions with people but I really don't see anything that is too concerning.

You have some notes and while you didn’t have any 30 days within applying for mod you did receive one while your application was up. I’ve looked into the note along with the situation surrounding it and while I believe that the note is deserved I don’t think the situation was bad enough to torpedo this application over. Your note history is also fine in my opinion. I will however paraphrase what was once said as a comment on my moderator application:

Please make sure you follow the rules as staff, since if we don’t respect the rules, no one does.

I do have some personal concerns that I did want to mention.

This is something that you mentioned and its in line with how I’ve experienced interactions with you in the past.
There isn’t anything inherently wrong with being informal and it can often be pretty pleasant. There is however a time and place for that stuff and as a staff member you really do need to sometimes be serious, frank and formal.
I won’t pretend that the staff team is full of people sitting at their computers in fancy dresses and suits discussing stuff like we’re in a court room, quite the opposite in fact as stuff like msay is filled with informal stuff regularly. BUT there are reasons that being formal is so important to me, its to do with communication between staff members and players. You have to realize loads of context and intent gets lost in basically any communication over the internet. While messages like this “Run. You lose these. Run before you are lynched.” can be full of good intentions it can also come off as disrespectful, hostile or as if you’re not taking someone seriously.

Now none of us are saints and sometimes something like this slips through, I for example don’t look back too fondly on some of the PMs that I sent in the past and I always try to improve on that stuff, but stuff like that should be the outlier and not the standard.
So yeah you will need to be able to be formal and your default should be at least semi-formal when doing moderation duties.

Now I also wanted to mention that, and this is going to be very blunt, this application doesn't come off like you're taking it seriously or like too much effort was put in it. I know that that is a very subjective opinion and I cant point to one specific thing that gives me that impression, but that is just the general "vibe" that I get from it.
I know that you probably did put a lot of effort in and that you do probably want to be a moderator but that is just the impression that it gives off as a whole, and that isn't a good thing in my opinion.
I say this because if you aren't taking an application like this seriously I can't really trust that you will handle ahelps or other issues that players have seriously either.

Right so to just get to the point already since this response is too long already:
When I was considering this application and whether or not to give it my support I was on the fence whenever I thought about it. There isn’t one really big issue that I can point to as being too bad but there are some small points that don’t sit right with me. The fact that you did get a note, (even if it isn’t really a major one) your responses to some of the other peoples questions not being great, you not being a very formal person and the general impression that I get from your application.
All those things wouldn’t be any objection to me normally and I think that most of them can be fixed in training, but the fact that they’re all together in this application does mean that any support that I would give would be conditional.
So instead of giving some half hearted conditional support I will be giving your application a -1.
I have faith that if you want to you will be able to make a new application that I can give my support in the future. I think that if you put some extra effort into your next application, and you make sure to stay free of any bad notes of course, it will probably be a good one.
Just make sure to not get too discouraged. I would like to see you become part of staff and I do think that you have it in you.

1 Like

if i can get mod with so many glaring issues then they can aswell, i know this player to be responsible and honest, furthermore i see no issues in their replies to handling situations. +1

Noted, and Thank you for the constructive feedback.

I think this comment is more insulting than supporting

8 Likes

Isn’t the admittance of having glaring issues directly the opposite of what the community needs when referring to staff members.

8 Likes

Hi there! So, I apologize for taking a bit longer than the ideal to resolve this. There was a mix of feedback to consider, but overall, I think this is a net positive, and I’m pleased to accept your app and welcome you to the team.

Please make sure you have DMs open so I can reach you to get you set up with perms and training.