Remove Hijack. Or Make It Optional

Everything to say has already been said in this topic…

Hijack is a core gameplay element and if you dislike the game mechanics incentiving FOB stacking, you’ll find that you are:

1. Free to do otherwise and pursue RP oriented goal in a cinematic end of the ship
  2. Actively encouraged to do otherwise due to Hijack Objectives
  3. Not going to get a radically different experience by just going to next round
  4. If all else fails, already free to “skip” it for yourself by cryoing, no need for additional mechanics

Yes Hijack objectives aren’t magical against the TDM FOB mentality but they’re there and underrated…

We could also remove the ship entirely and have people start with their loadout on the planet which i consider to be almost on-par in terms of concept break, but at that point in both cases it’s simply not CM anymore

1 Like

“Just stop playing the game bro”

That’s a very poor form argument.

Hijack objectives serve to reinforce the TDM mentality, not to mention you can just early evacuate. 99.9% of the time Marines are going to FOG siege the hijack up. What I am advocating for is giving Marines and /or Xenos more agency on if they want to engage with the hijack experience at minimum.

As I’ve said, I feel hijack is a net negative for groundside since it encourages both sides to be conservative in the final FOB fight. Its why we get Marine evacs where >90% of them leave, or where Xenos are skittish and extend a FOB fight for longer because they don’t want to die. If we had no hijack, everyone would be throwing everything they had, including their own bodies, to the fight.

I suppose we’re just going in circles now so I guess I’ll leave it at that.

What about the other three points and how is skipping hijack different?

Hijack is anything but cinematic, I will almost never actually fight in any of the holds (because my character, Steve, knows how unlikely escape pods are to be recovered and doesn’t expect lifeboat hold to go better than FOB), usually I bet on ERTs and try to hitch a ride with them, and I’ve never felt like the ship is falling apart, just that it’s the same old hijack again and I already know the routine.

1 Like

The fact you get Marines who “save” equipment for hijack instead of using it groundside strikes me as a massive red flag and another reason to support my argument.

Hello friends and hijack lovers, made an account just to post in this thread and notify Shartpoint or whatever that if he pays someone to remove hijack I will make it my life goal to buy out the server, community ban him, and reintroduce hijack!

As it stands, distress signal has virtually no variety in gameplay. Marines will hold the FOB. Xenos will attack what is essentially a FOB. The Marines will either win successfully or all die. The marines may call an OB which will either just be helpful for the Marines, or backfire and will either all die, explode the hive and win the op, or meander around till they evacuate after the marines win/die. Rarely the Marines may NUKE the Xenos, but this is merely an extension of the FOB defence, and may often not feel earned.

Oh no, a mechanic in the game that actually makes you not want to be an LRPing unga marine and have basic life preservation. This is so sad and bad!!!

Okay lets also remove nuke since apparently nobody cares about minor wins (ME I care) and it’s basically an extended fob siege too. Yay!! I love removing variety for the sake of turning the game into shitty pee pee poo poo realistic shooter #6. Just go play Squad or arma 3 or something

Really? Because you apparently just want the game to be over as soon as the groundside battle is done. Or instead of a 20 minute kickass hijack do you want a 20 minute CIC gooning session where you larp that you’re sad and not actually seething?

Ok, I accept this, but on the condition that every time the queen gets into the Alamo they have to check with me first before they can decide to not hijack :smiley:

are you trolling this literally happens in the alien movies
Here let me summarize 80% of the alien movies for you cause maybe you havent seen them
“Lol i’m gonna go to a planet that has aliens on it.”
“Wtf! There’s aliens on this planet??? Get back to the ship!!!”
“OH MY GOD THE ALIEN IS ON THE SHIP WE’RE DOOMED!!! GET OFF THE SHIP”

“just remove stuff I don’t like bro” is the same exact thing as “go play a different game”. You literally want to play a different game(mode) and you are telling me such in this post

Now, if you could give me some other games that have you retreat into a spaceship and fight for your life to escape an impending threat, that are also in large-format multiplayer PVP scale, I’d go play them and I wouldnt have to be here typing up this nonsense RAGING MY BUTT OFF…

Conversely I can give you like 500 multiplayer pvp games where you go shoot a thing to try and kill the bad guy and roleplay as le ebic soldier and win on a planet

"“BUT THEY WONT BE ALIEN!!! !!! ! !!! !!! !!! !!!” HIJACK IS ALIEN!!! !!! !!!

8 Likes

I’m simply proposing a system where the queen can decide to hijack or not. I’d rather remove the system but I do accept some people may like it.

Also, I would suggest you review the movies since you seem to be lacking in knowledge. My issue with this is the fact in-universe our Queen is piloting a dropship to attack a Marine warship, which is an insane scenario akin to a pair of rabbits taking control over a Hercules transport aircraft and piloting it to crash on a American aircraft carrier.

and before you say “oh but they shutdown the servers” you can still play it if you know how to.
and if that’s too hard go play it’s cousin supremecy for battlefront 2 2017

1 Like

oh man i’ve tried but they’re all EU servers with terrible ping for me and are literally always dead when im on, the recent revival you are hinting to basically immediately died after everyone got done with their nostalgia trip.
i loved this game i have the box for it still at my moms house but i lost my password. i even try playing with bots from time to time but they dont seem as smart as they did when i was a kid

i did like that battlefront 2 mode but im not a star wars fan and the cutscenes when the dropships fly into the ship instead of actually flying aggravate me and RUIN my IMMERSION.

been a while but these modes both lack an escape mechanic i think dont they? you kind of just are defending the ship then oops the tickets went down instant loss. they dont have that roleplay factor

also you cant nerd emoji react me and then go “erm actually these two EA games have spaceships…” because the actual point was there is MORE games like distress signal than there are games like HIJACK
i think YOU sir are the actual nerd emoji right now and im gonna react with one to your post shortly…

this has to end in a draw though otherwise it will also serve as killing hijack. ive legit seen COs nuke the planet with like 6 bugs left. and if it ends in a draw who wants to bother when they can get a guaranteed minor by making an attempt to get onto the ship.

also another issue with this is that it is giving complete control of a significant part of the round to occur/not occur to a single person. i dont really know if one guy should just have an instant end/win game button because he feels MEH, I Can’t win or I can’t be bothered!

so then ok they can deny hijack and marines can deploy again. OOPS marines lost again after redeploying what now? I know what now… we just dragged out the round for probably 2 more hours is what now. thank god we didnt have a 20 minute hijack!!!

all the aliens in the movie outnumbered the marines and were much much weaker than they are in cm too i mean the game isnt entirely faithful but hijack is a very good attempt in my opinion to be faithful to the overall theme and structure of the movies
BUUT it is a little silly and contrived yeah okay… just pretend ares is EVIL (it is because ARES is admins and admins=the overarching antagonist) and sends the dropship down and the queen isnt stupid because its from the engineer things that were really smart and could definitely pilot dropships.

like bub in day of the dead when he remembers how to shoot

2 Likes

Also you asked for examples of games where you need to retreat to a spaceship and fight for your life never specified they had to be good or anything.

Actual fair points for this one, though i will still nerd emoji you for the first half

Remember of Ice V2 CO/XO throwing meta of picking up LZ2 to lose as fast as possible ?

This is how these kind of choices in this environment end up working.

I’m not really fond of it personally…

From what I can tell from the Rabbids franchise, this is probably something that either has or will happen.

2 Likes

If you want a super generic TF2 style “We spawn over here and they spawn over there” TDM where there’s no alternative features aside marines shooting at xenos, there’s so many other games you can play.

1 Like

We have that, its called Whisky Outpost. Also, I’d appreciate if we don’t denigrate our arguments to some strawman attack and claim I’m anti-roleplay or akin.

This is not a player control problem, this was a map problem lol. Most players were happy to go LZ2 and frankly sometimes LZ2 worked pretty good.

Not an issue. Player control is a huge part of this game and SS13 in general.

player control, or
“i’m a special whitelisted high ranking boy/girl and my own personal feelings are that I cant be Booooothered with this SLOG FEST and I’m going to enforce this on EVERYONE in the server because i have 3000 hours and ive done every roleplay scenario backwards and forwards and cant get off ss13 to save my life”
control?

we already have player control in regards to hijack its called cryoing. why do you guys care so much about removing content that only happens when marines lose to begin with??

honestly if a queen is mad they know they’ll lose hijack they should be grateful the marines FUCKED UP AND EVACCED IN THE FIRST PLACE TO GIVE THEM A GUARANTEED MINOR!!! and if “no one cares about minor victories” then maybe thats the real issue

3 Likes

No i mean, literally, it was a common and fully assumed thing by a lot of these players to blitz land LZ2 and effectively order suicide push to end the round faster because they didn’t like the map. I’m all for player agency, like really I am, but that’s exactly what i forsee happening if you give hijack skip control to Queen/aCO

1 Like

I feel a critical difference is the outcome.

A CO/XO ordering marines to use a terrible landing zone is going to result in a elongated and boring round for the entire server.

The Queen or the CO/XO choosing not to engage with hijack will immediately end the round (sans 3 min timer). This is AFTER the main round has played out which has likely lasted 1 to 3 hours already.

The worst case scenario for a bad FOB pick is the main round is boring as everyone dies. Whereas the worst case scenario for the Queen or CIC not choosing to go with hijack is the round ends AFTER the core game has already been played out.

There’s no real possibility of either side griefing or causing the round to be boring for 99% of the server. If anything there’s a chance for one side to avoid a boring or griefing like scenario where one side can skip a impossible situation (10 marines versus 40 xeno hijack, or T1 hive being forced to hijack a marine force that evacuated 90% of its forces as examples).

Queen is a non-whitelisted role, CO is usually dead groundside by the time hijack happens, so yeah, player control.

What if we do a vote every time hijack happens to just end the round? :thinking:

1 Like

TRUE!

4 Likes