What do You Think are the Best and Worst Events?

I am a big fan of events, from the controversial WO to the Zombies and Brain Parasites. But I wanna know what people think are the best and worst of the bunch. Heck there are probably events that I don’t know about, like a Pred vs Human event.

3 Likes

One really fun one is the battle Royale on the almayer with every squad being a team and fighting, I really enjoy those. I’m not a big fan of some of the PMC events as they usually are just nothing happening until PMC get the order to kill marines and marines get wiped.

2 Likes

Any round where it involves everyone is good, as opposed to it just being based on the ALMAYER. I wish we had more that took place on the colony to make it interesting for the general players.

I like the events where we come up against a hostile UPP vessel. They board, and ARES takes commands from the XO/CO on how we are to respond with a number of armaments. It’s best when they also send UPP groundside too.

Last time this happened a few weeks ago while I was XO, and we got boarded by Xenos, UPP, and Predators all around the same time while the USCM held inside CIC. We were evacing just as the UPP land forces arrived at the FOB and they got annihilated being caught between us and the Xenos. CO dealt with the actual combat command while I directed ARES in ship to ship combat. Honestly can’t believe we survived, with the hijack timer running out and CIC littered with the dead and wounded.

2 Likes

Active Colony RP events are the best.

4 Likes

Good events are very hard to do. I think its actually better to involve fewer people. Like even just a GM making things interesting for the CL or reporter by giving them some interesting objectives or interacting with them.

Smaller scope is much easier to organize and keep track on what’s happening and limits the amount of interference in the round that not all players will be happy with. The more people involved with an event the more certain you can be that someone is going to hate it.

So keep it to just like, little interesting things - CL has a family member in the colony and he wants to personally find them/their body with his single bodyguard. Reporter collects evidence ‘proving’ the aliens were created by weyland yutani; that sort of thing.

1 Like

CIC type only events suck for the majority of the player base since they straight up miss them unless it is declared early in the round (i.e. before LZ and briefing set). Best events are either Major zombie/UPP events/Independence Day events, or minor CL events that draw players in. The Royce “just happened to be in the neighborhood to steal research” is pretty lame imo as a lifeboat takes an unknown time, pods take unknown time to recover. More weird “space is dangerous and unknown” stuff events are always welcome - stupid “happenstance interventions” are unwelcome personally.

3 Likes

Tank event a few months ago was pog

2 Likes

CIC events are the worst events since they not only effect just a few people, but they likely detract from CIC’s ability to command the ground forces which negatively affects the Marines performance and makes them feel abandoned. Of course conversely these kind of events would likely be the easier kind to implement and CIC/ship personal would likely be more willing to engage in roleplay.

3 Likes

Do the staff still do thanksgiving events? I remember there was a thanksgiving turkey controlled by an admin which was in the main hall to bring us “blessings”. I was CO in CIC and so didn’t even get to see it alive as the marines butchered the thing within minutes. However it did return in ghost form to tell me it knew of some intel which could be used for HC to give us OB’s.

2 Likes

I feel this too. During a 4 hour soro round there was a UPP invasion of the ship, causing panic in CIC which led to marines heading ship side leaving the remaining marines to be rolled ultimately leading to xeno victory. CIC events are fun and interesting but often just a detriment for the actual ability for marines. Maybe add a new Naval officer role to help smooth over CIC events so SO and XO can still command during?

2 Likes

The two other major events I remember happening once while CO, was one where a Predator Elder came aboard diplomatically to get us to help them take on a hive of abominations. They gave all the marines predator mines and myself their own sword. That was interesting and got everyone involved. Predator died horribly and so did I.

Another one was where various members of the crew spawned as their regular role, but were synths and had to keep their identities secret from a event squad who scanned everyone. Those of us who were synths did not know who else was one, and while I was in CIC everyone else were slowly found out and got killed. Aden Cooper was one of my SO’s, and when he found out the event squad was trying to track me down after finding out I was one, he tried to defend me. Ending up getting executed via firing squad.

4 Likes

Corporate Liasion antagonist events are fun. Maybe a bit of cult rounds there and there. A bit of explosive and ERT teams.

6 Likes

Bring back loyalty injectors. I wish to relive the days of injecting all the heads of departments and the XO so I can take over, simply by saying it’s a microchip enhancer. Works every time.
Condition being that if they manage that, they get an ERT to back them up.

6 Likes

Hard yes. The RP potential is sky high.

3 Likes

A big problem with events is that marines are here to shoot things. All problem resolutions if left to your average marine player, will be shooting things until they are dead.

And a lot of events don’t really take that into account. People will leave planetside fighting xenos to fight UPP because, well, how often do they get to shoot UPP dead instead of xenos? Fighting UPP is WAY more interesting and novel and fun the same way whiskey outpost is the first 5 times.

And on the admin side of things it is really easy to create events where people shoot things to death, and very very very hard to create narrative events that require good writing and creativity and subsequently - effort.

I think it would be useful to have an event-framework that reduces the amount of effort involved in creating narrative focused non-deathmatch events.

How much time is saved by having pre-set PMC squads that can be spawned rather than having to create individual PMC mobs from scratch, for example? The more lego pieces available like that, the faster an admin/GM can create a narrative in the round and the better it can be adjusted and designed beforehand to be balanced with the regular game structure.

7 Likes

I had an event round where there were groundside CLF and I lowrolled Xeno without knowing. It spawned about 5 or 6 of us as human that spoke only xeno so synths understood us, but not the marines’. I went into maint and got a firefighter suit and a toolbelt to RP as a ‘foreign contractor’ and was jumped by 3 marines’ who shot me after about a minute trying to talk because they couldn’t understand me and their chat didn’t even come up for me as Xenos don’t get to hear anything they say unless greeno and the synth wasn’t willing/didn’t realize they were needed to play translator.

I got revived in medbay and didn’t want to pick a side in during highjack (olus I got no reply in aHelp so I didn’t know how they’d rule it), a couple of the other xeno spawns took up arms to help mariens while I cryoed

3 Likes

Borers are nice whenever we get them

1 Like

Best events.
Zombies
WO
Colony RP

Worst
Greenshifts on the ship
Any events that involve command staff having a meeting while everyone else fucks around until they draw too much MP attention.

6 Likes

Honestly. The maps are structured so well and have so much stuff in them, that dropping 40 survivors in there for RP is a blast.

3 Likes

The only time I was infected with a borer, myself being an SO, and everytime I tried to alert people to the fact I was being controlled people just… didn’t understand.

Me while there are MP’s talking to the XO: “I am being controlled, I need to be arrested!”
XO: “Uhhuh?”
Walks off and leaves me alone in CIC

Later

Me talking to an MP and a marine in research: “Something is inside my mind controlling me, stop me, shoot me!”
MP: Walks off.
Marine: Actually gets it and when I was possessed again they shot me after the borer tried to leave the area.

5 Likes