40mm Shotgun round

Okay so out off all the weapons in the Marine’s arsenal the weakest one has to be the M79 Grenade launcher which borders on useless due to poor ammo choices and providing no real benefits over throwing grenades. so i propose adding 2 ammunition types for the M79 to replace the hornet and star shell that being the M576 and The Bee hive round these two ammo types would change the M79 from a grenade launcher to a short range high damage shotgun.

M576 is a normal Shotgun shell loaded with 00 buck which would act as an upscaled shotgun shell with a higher pellet count and spread then the base shotgun and MOU but a much shorter range. whereas the Bee Hive round would act as a larger Flechette round. This would be the ultimate risk vs reward where if you get a good meat shot off on any smaller Xeno it would put it into crit but if you miss your round would probably end. you are trading capacity and flexibility for raw damage. your ammo count would also be limited due only having around 20 shots where with M37 and Mou you will have an easier time staying supplied over the course of the round.

why are you using the M79 in the first place beyond griefing other marines with the baton round

2 Likes

@SubjectD9341

1 Like

I honestly think the buckshot PB we have is more then enough. If we make it an even BETTER buckshot PB monster, then you KNOW its gonna be the new secondary firearm that gibs runners.

1 Like

I sometimes just carry a nade satchel full of batons to bonk all the xenos. Bad at it, but i find it hilarious.

In all seriousness though, if you just want to buff the M79, give the launcher changes.
Being able to only load one nade at a time is already a huge disatvantage compared to the M92.
So why not allow people to put S4 scopes on it? Would be a HUGE buff. And honestly i would love to see the impact that has.

Generally runners get gibbed when they already fail to make the stun from their pounce that’s just how it works just backliner Xenos are entirely based on risk vs reward

I’m not but I would if it was a big ole shotgun

m79 is not useless (big yap)

m79 baton slug is not bad. it’s not amazing whatsoever imo, but it’s still not bad.
In terms of support weapons it’s one of the best.

There are much worse guns in the game then the m79
Calling it useless means you just dont know how to use it or havent given it a fair shot

Imo it’s better then m37 slug because cancelling abilities is useful. Big bonus, you can use shotguns too.

examples

yapping -- benefits to hedp

And for HEDP you can juggle xenos using a m79 with quick reloads. It is one of the more powerful ways to play rifleman since u can just lob a nade and get kills gauranteed.

The m79 is really just as good as the gl’s weapon.

You can tertiary weapon a HEDP m79 as a rifleman, and just draw from grenade pouch to quick reload. i wish i had clips, but it’s basically the same as GL spec grenade juggling so you get the picture. m79s are cheap and just easy to grab, so just having it in an offhand makes your grenade pouch more useful.

Benefit is it’s faster then UGL and still lowers the grenade timer to 2 seconds, and also since reloading is a main part of it you just have to worry about the capacity of your pouch or belt, not the capacity of the gl. The benefit of the m79 is still a LOT better then handthrowing nades. Even if u cook handthrown nades, you still risk a lot by holding it in hand (a xeno stuns you at any point? its over!). You also can’t easily juggle with handthrown nades - and it also multiplies the risk of 1 stun, since you’ll be cooking multiple nades at once.

Ofc if your bad at quick reloading it’s still useful, although not AS useful. But quick reloading is not nearly as hard to learn nowadays with inventory keybinds.

yapping -- batonslugs

With baton slug you can quick reload too, in order to suppress a ton of enemies at once. If you like shotgun slug’s utility, then baton slug does the same thing but heavier, and you can go immediately into ur shotgun.

(But buckshot pbs do NOT stun immediately after a baton slug stun. You have to wait for them to get up if you want stun. It still deals full dmg tho so it’s 100% worth it if you time it well… But it’s very difficult. Usually easier is just baton slug into mk2 since m79 baton slug also displaces. Or baton slug into mou flech.)

The problem compared to normal shotgun slugs, is that it’s harder to hit. However, if you do hit it it’s way stronger (in terms of debuffs), and you can reposition enemys with it. The IFF mode is even useable in some situations.

I prefer offhanding the m79 tho because it’s just a practical tertiary weapon imo.
After the grenade pouch capacity buff, if you’re not lazy, m79s are a great way to use your nades more effectively by just having it offhand. Or you can load it with a baton slug and just use it as a combo starter/anti-warrior tool.

It comes with the normal drawbacks of off-hand tertiary weapons but it’s still a fun loadout. Good to get used to offhand weapons too. Just keep your magharned weapon in your main hand - your tertiary weapon in your offhand, and wield whichever one is necessary.

Hornet shells suck, I agree.
Baton slugs are not bad tho, and in general the m79 is not as bad as you think it is.

But yeah the hornet shell is the worst weapon in the game imo. I’d rather use m44 over it any day of the week, and the m44 rn sucks dick.

(m44 getting buffed soon tho (maybe))

[BALANCE]Increase damage of standart revolver ammo from 55 to 72. by Huffie56 · Pull Request #6123 · cmss13-devs/cmss13 · GitHub

GL shotgun shell sounds cool tho. Given the high potential firerate, it’d be interesting gameplay wise

1 Like

M79 is the best GL in the game (if you have a good supply of grenades)

2 Likes

Yes, but I don’t want something that deals more then 250 damage the normal buckshot PB already does.