What is your Discord username?
Crimson#8122

What characters do you play on CM-SS13?
Laurencia Beck, Eleanor Tudor

Are you 16 or older?
Yes

Timezone:
EST

On average, how many hours are you available to moderate in an average week?
10-15 (about 10-15 rounds) a week. There will be fluctuations depending on what I have going on in my life.

Qualifications:

Do you have previous experience in game or community moderation?
Yes, I have ample experience. I have been moderating communities for coming close to a decade now. I have moderated forums, different games, and different communities. I am currently a head of staff for a non-SS13 community. I started as a moderator years ago. I helped rebuild the system to be more autonomous, so it does require some of my time, but not much. It granted me a great understanding of staffing structure and enforcement and how to handle situations even though they may not be cut and pasted from SS13. I have been a moderator for various Discord chat rooms as well.

I have also volunteered as staff in SS13 previously. I have been an administrator on three different servers:
Persistence SS13 - Administrator (appeal management, staff training, maintenance of server like opening and closing, ticket handling)
Runtime Station 13 - Administrator (ticket handling)
Estrella Station 13 - Administrator (staff training, maintenance of the server, ticket handling)

During my time as a staff volunteer, I received one SS13 report. It was from Persistence SS13. The report contained complaints about me playing Veggie Tales songs on the music bot Rhythm off YouTube, which our Discord used at the time. I got reprimanded for playing the Veggie Tales songs.

Aside from those servers - I was also a part of the women’s management club for SS13, Girl Power 13. Unfortunately, it was hacked and dismantled by the Host of Estrella station at the time. I have contacts for all previous positions, except the head of staff position, since I am the contact for such.

Provide any links to any previous CM-SS13 whitelist, mentor or staff applications:
Ahana - Moderator Application - #37 by ScarletReign (Denied)
Mentor Application - Ahana - #40 by Crimson (Withdrawn on Acceptance Terms)

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on CM-SS13?
Yes. And this ban was over a year ago.

Can you actively engage and communicate with the team through Discord?
Yes.

Final Details:

Why would you like to join the CM-SS13 staff team?
I wish to help push an RP-friendly atmosphere. I presented ways on how I would positively correct behaviors that were problematic in my last report via IC means, while both contributing to the atmosphere and restoring it. As a part of this, I would be excited to help assist or run events one day, when the time comes.

I also recently ran into some transparency issues. I had yet to see a glare of any until recently, but I ran into them nonetheless. I would like to help make the staff team a more transparent figure so that players know what should be going on. I can’t say for certain what everything should look like, as I can’t see from behind the scenes, but things that would be appropriate for the player base to have access to I will voice internally where possible.

What makes you a great addition to Staff? (Experienced Tabletop DM, Aliens Lore Buff, Super Organized, etc.?)
I’m comfortable with working in a team, delegating and being delegated to, and working colaboratively with others.

I am a fast learner as well, and can easily reapply any skills that are taught to me, and I think this would be especially useful during the trial moderator phase as it would quickly reveal if I’m a good fit or not in staff.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality of a CM-SS13 staff member?
While I believe the ability to improve upon oneself is critical to being staff, I have come to believe that rationality is most critical.

Staff should be able to walk through their actions with themselves, or others, and determine why, if any, courses of action they took were beneficial or not, or at a minimum, be able to back actions with reasoning(s).

Anything else you want to add?
There are a few things I’d like to address beforehand as I’m sure they are going to be brought up and I’d rather they just be accessible from the start:

1 - Recent inactivity. I have been playing in less active amounts recently. This was due to a couple of factors, such as kickstarting a business, raising a puppy, and tax season being due. This period of inactivity is over.

2 - Mentor Application. I did not feel the sanctions were fair as they were not being applied equally to everyone, solely me.

3 - De-escalation abilities. I submitted evidence of myself working on this to staff already, and anyone is welcome to observe me while this application is up. I believe they’re at acceptable standards now or past them.

Edit: For transparency, I have received a recent Discord note. However, I was not being malicious or trying to be disruptive and I apologize if I was. I was just trying to get an answer to my question because the Vice-Host had told me the situation needed to be investigated and there were wrongdoings, and then an advisor ruled it an IC issue completely. I took it constructively, and make a policy feedback forum bit calmly and rationally because it was not my intent to cause disruption in #staff-help and I believed it was something that players should probably know.

Howdy,
Not to be an ass or anything, however it hasn’t even been 30 days of now since your last mod application let alone the mentor application were denied.

I know I’ve kept my talks and opinions of your apps in conversations rather than on the forums, but I don’t think that constantly repeating these applications will help your situation with the community.

You need more time in my opinion to build up more of a good reputation with the community.

4 Likes

I’m not going to bring up your past here as I see you as someone who wants to do good. As a person, I like you most of the time to give you a friendly howdy out of the game. My main issue with you, in general, is that I find you to be pretty robotic, and I don’t see your roleplay very much beyond your mechanical knowledge of military law. (With what you do deal with on a round-to-round, I don’t think this is entirely your fault either. But again, I’ve known you for almost two years, and that is the most character-defining thing I can remember about you.)

So, while I have listed my concern with you. I do have to ask when you say you wish to push an RP-friendly atmosphere. What exactly does that mean to you?

Edit: For context. I am looking more for examples and how you would go about it.

1 Like

It hasn’t been even 30 days. -1

4 Likes

For the same reasons in my previous post (fresh from a month)

Re-applying so soon with no consideration of what was said in your previous attempt also paint a negative image of your motives, I’d suggest thinking about it.

3 Likes

Please let me know what ideas you have here that I can see. I’m not really sure what you’re talking about with the “in conversations” portion… because I don’t recall ever actually speaking to you. You are also free to reach out in DMs.

For RP ICly: In MP roles it is a bit harder to RP, as you’re a bit more restricted. I’ve used some extensive RP as CL or other roles. I have recently been focusing on MP because de-escalation practice was needed and I accomplished such. I’ll see if I can play some non-MP roles a bit to showcase more.

For Pushing an RP Atmosphere: Pushing an atmosphere to me requires a total effort. This goes from OOC resolution using IC means, to being able to construct an idea of a realistic-fiction scenario, into a 2D videogame.

For some examples, say grief. Someone was murdered, and needs to be revived. If possible, here, I would rather edit the variables of the damage here (if that’s allowed for staff to do), and make it easier for a doctor/medic to revive someone, rather than just aheal them and magically stand them on two feet. Of course, if there’s no choice, then an aheal is appropriate in my mind. But little things like this add up over time, and I think small impacts like that would be beneficial to the RP atmosphere.

Another example might just be larger in general. Maybe an event is ongoing, and a few troublemakers arise trying to derail it. Instead of them magically stopping because they got hit with a bwoink, it might just be better to incorporate it into the event by having a warrant for their arrest transferred/faxed, or just ignoring it. If they’re being malicious or edging into grieifing territory, then yes, OOC resolution will probably be needed and IC resolution may not be applicable, but I think it’s better to nudge players into a positive direction with a positive atmosphere to engage in, rather than leave them out and punish non-malicious individuals if not necessary.

There are no current restrictions on re-applications, so I took the four weeks and worked on what was commented about previously the best I could. Other feedback is welcome.

Please read my “Anything else you want to add?” tab and reply with your thoughts on it, as I did consider what was said about my previous attempt and worked towards improving it.

Don’t know where the rules went here in this forum, but as far as I know, these apply.

It’s been less than 30 days, which even if this rule was nuked, would be a massive red flag for me along with all the issues that roam around you.
With your recent inactivity I haven’t seen anything of how you act, so, I don’t have anything to add from last app to this, really.
This, mixed with you jumping the gun on the time, makes me extremely uncomfortable in giving you my trust and putting my neck on the line with a positive vote.

1 Like

It’s not about rules as written, but its about manners and reading the room.

Like cmon, now you look like you’re desparate to become a mod.

6 Likes

Honestly, you are competent, without a doubt. I don’t think anyone can fault you for not being able to comprehend the vast amount of rules (arguably some archaic ones, too) And I personally think your ability to grasp rulesets is far greater than your average CM player.

But that’s about as good as I can say for now based on previous experiences and hearsay.

While I personally have not encountered an issue from you in game or OOC, you have to understand that a staff position is also a position of community trust, and that’s a major factor in my own opinionated decision to agree or disagree with a staff application. Unfortunately, the previous replies and experiences other members of the community have stated as of recent apps are leading for me to heavily disagree -1 for the time being.

You know I genuinely believe that you could have done more good using your skills to grasp rulesets for the greater good of the community, for whatever that’s worth in anyone’s mind reading this. Your reading comprehension is a nice skill to have. I wouldn’t waste it trying to rule-lawyer a BYOND game and making people turn against you OOCly.

1 Like

Tsunamico is correct in that the forum rules from previous forum still apply. I will get them transferred over to this forum ASAP, but they’re still in play.

Denied as under 30d since last application.

2 Likes