Ban the Usage of 'Jamaican' in Reference to Yautja

Accuses others of doing something racist. Assumes all people from Jamaica are black… assumes all people who live in Jungles are black.

Isnt this the same movie where the invisible alien blows someone’s head off with a shoulder mounted laser weapon?

7 Likes

Frankly, this is probably a better argument than my appeal to historical context. Whether or not you enjoy the racist jokes stemming from calling Predators “jamaican” because they have dreadlocks, it’s just LRP and overused.

Is there anything stupider than USMC marines encountering a terrifying cloaked hunter-alien on a xeno-infested planet and immediately yelling “JAMAICANS JAMAICANS THEY’RE COMING TO SMOKE OUR WEED” over comms? Personally, I can see how it’d be immersion-breaking, and annoying.

You don’t have to ban it because it’s racist (you should though), but it’s without question a LRP dumb meme that shouldn’t appear ICly.

7 Likes

everyone just collectively ignore their opinions, policing what marines say on a battlefield with literal fucking aliens is beyond dumb

2 Likes

I dunno, I aint use the word because I rather find some goofy gimmick to react to them, but I do think its fine to say, aint no harm in it, you aint actively hurtin no-one, I mean if I saw humanoid creature I would probably be just as creative in naming and call em somethin goofy like that but eh, either way I dont say big deal however this goes

1 Like

Good point on that generalization. We wouldn’t wanna exclude 2% of a population: Good on you for watching-out for a minority group you aren’t a part of. You’re the only ally in this thread, and more people should take your example!

I also agree they’re putting way too much emphasis on a movie ostensibly about a man who didn’t value human life to the point of being nicknamed “The Meat Grinder” finding great success within the US Government before he assembles a team of macho buff soldiers to massacre communists in the jungle (this is presented as action entertainment): something Arnold’s character wouldn’t have done if the US Military didn’t lie to him about in order to recruit him to the military. Then, a big macho man with better technology than these soldiers comes and massacres them in the jungle (which is now presented as 'Horror). Wondering why all of this is happening, a woman local to this non-white-majority country then explains that due to increasing global temperatures, an invasive species is causing harm to her nation.

Like, when was anything made by people who saw the false promises and failure of the military in the wake of Vietnam and the utter failure of Operation Eagle claw before ramping-up into the Regan and Bush presidencies political? Green Day? Robo Cop? Alien? Doubt it.

5 Likes

so spamming sussy amongus everytime I see a red runny vent is fine? this is an RP server that has RP standards.

4 Likes

I think it is quite insensitive, this was a long time coming. It is so strange that IC I’m suppose to have a response to “theres Jamaicans running around”. Like wouldn’t some of the marines be Jamaican? No shit shirlock.

3 Likes

I’ve had to remove a bunch of off topic and meme responses. This isnt acid goop. Please keep the responses on topic and not shitposty

The yautjas have dreadlocks. Jamaicans have dreadlocks. Thus marines who don’t know what Yautjas are call them “Jamaicans” because that’s an (almost) universal concept is both easy to both understand and to scream panicking on the radio instead of yelling on each single encounter “Humanoid alien with appendages on their head wearing tribal armor and fishnets”.

That’s something regular people do, give nicknames to stuff when they need a common and easy “designation” to call something under stress situations. It happened a lot during WWII, with soldiers of every side giving sometimes goofy nicknames to enemy weapons/vehicles/types of munitions yada yada.

That’s literally all of it, no marine who yells “Jamaicans” in an correct MRP setting are implying jamaican people are two meters tall giant tribal honorbound murder aliens.

If you think there is a subconscious or hidden malicious reason players call the yautja “Jamaicans” and start to go on a weird tangent about racism and discrimination, you may have spent too much time on twitter.

9 Likes

In my opinion. The issue here is similar to the old issue we had with first contact rules for Xenos. The community, unable to use their proper name or even an in-universe code name (like XX-121) are forced to use nicknames, and the community coalasaed around ‘Jamacian’ a long time ago. I’m not a huge fan of the term but the only way we can move away from it without banning it, which I disagree in doing, is to make knowledge of the Predators an IC thing or associate a codeword/phrase with them.

2 Likes

I mean people see a half transparent humanoid and go “;JAMAICANS ARE ON PLANET!!!” Before even seeing the pred uncloaked, it’s full meta knowledge that people use the callout of to ID it.

Having a “correct term” would be the better way of handling it. Isn’t XX-121 just the call tag in aliens lore of unidentified alien? We just need really anything to replace it for “un-ID’d humanoid alien”

Edit: nvm just googled, xeno/xenomorph was aliens generic term for unidentified species

3 Likes

Lol ofc Laurencia Beck’s player would say this OOC

4 Likes

I know, I have been saying it for years, if only more people would listen to me and follow my example. I guess I am just more in touch than others thank you for noticing. I definitely wouldn’t want to exclude the minority OF the minority. That is minority squared right there. By ignoring them you are a superracist.

All kidding aside lets get back to the real issue. Figuring out what 300 people who play a niche 2d space game about a movie that came out 35 years ago should nickname the fictional alien race that has dreadlocks. IE very serious business.

Whoever moved this into Acid Goop had the right idea.

I wish you fools (not necessarily you Arty just replying to you on this slowdown) would stop trying to ban everything you find offensive or distasteful. Half your characters look and behave like clowns… and yet I do what an adult does when I see something I dont like… I ignore it and move on. Stop trying to get everything banned and new rules set. Stop turning to BIG DADDY MODERATION to shut people down (while you also bitch about how they are all groomers and you hate them).

Crimson please focus you efforts on getting unbanned so you can play CMP again. I miss the chaos of Beck rounds and shittery from that. Policy Shitttery is way less funny or fun.

5 Likes

Thanks for actually responding to the content of my post! I’m happy to reply to your concerns.

While about 90% of people in Jamaica are black, it’s very true that not every Jamaican is black! There are hundreds of Chinese, East Indian, and White Jamaicans!

That being said, when people refer to dreadlocked aliens as “jamaicans”, they aren’t talking about White Jamaicans with dreadlocks… and they aren’t talking about Chinese Jamaicans with dreadlocks… Frankly, it’s pretty silly and disingenuous to think so.

As for the jungle part, well, I’m sorry to be the one to have to inform you that one of the many harmful stereotypes people believe about black people. I don’t want to extend my bibliography, so I’ll leave it to you to research certain disgusting terms like “jungle bunny” and “jungle fever”.

Very good! I’m glad that you know which movie we’re talking about, otherwise, this would be really embarrassing.

These are pretty much the only actual points against banning the racist term. Though I would argue that if information about Predators is not supposed to be IC, then calls of “jamaican” over the comm SHOULD be met with:

“What? What do you mean Jamaicans? Like, from Jamaica? Wait, you mean an alien? Why are you calling it a Jamaic- it has dreadlocks? MARINE, DESCRIBE CLEARLY WHAT THE FUCK YOU ARE SEEING! IS IT ARMED?!”

Instead of:

"Oh sweet, I’m gonna honor duel it! Careful, it could be cloaked nearby.

I quite enjoy goofy nicknames, but “we can’t think of anything better” is a fairly poor excuse to use a nickname that’s just literally the name of a group of people (a group of people who tend to be on the receiving end of racist jokes).

Frankly, I think that if we all mushed our collective brain cells together, we could probably come up with a better term for Preds (Hunters, Cloakers, Stalkers). Hell, honestly, just calling them “Dreadlocks” would be better than “Jamaicans”. It’d probably make more sense ICly too.

2 Likes

If anything, someone being LRP gives us a reason to rough them up and send them back to the FOB with X number of fractures and IBs. Probably the funniest and best time I’ve been called Jamaican was when a marine built up to it by talking about me being a native, resembling his friend, and then nicknaming me Jamaican—boom fun RP moment with the funny haha joke name.

Also I 100% agree with Gysilian, this comes off as you being offended by the term when it (as of my knowledge) hasn’t caused an issue or legitimately been used with malicious intent against someone. It’s a funny meme name for an MRP-level server, it was never that serious, and bringing racism to it kills off the joy and fun in a community.

1 Like

Just call em UPP Infiltrators. Damn commies never learn to go away. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes
  1. Who the fuck is going to notice the dreadlocks first?

2. Even if you do, screaming “JAMAICANS” over comms is just gonna make people think that you’re freaking out over some guy.

3. Why would our marines even associate dreadlocks with Jamaica? If you’re from Earth you likely grew up in a shithole similar to a 40K hive city, and if you’re from the colonies you’re not exactly doing much better on the “knowledge of Earth cultures” scale. On top of that, the internet got blown up long before any of our characters were even born (except maybe Gramps), so the odds of even a single person on the Almayer knowing about Jamaica is extremely low.

4. No seriously who is going to fixate on the dreads instead of the fact that there’s a 8 foot tall humanoid that can go invisible, has a translator that can speak english, and is wearing fishnets, light armor, and a ballistics mask (closest thing I can think of), which are all much more obvious and important parts of what a pred is.

3 Likes

From what I understand, all marines (in-game) know about Yautjas are vague rumors about them? That’s why I centered my argument over a “nickname” of sorts surging around those vague rumors to easily call em. Dreadlocks are literally one of the most distinctive characteristics preds have.

Otherwise, if it is first contact, yeah, it would be totally r- I mean, d-, I mean, stupid to call them Jamaicans, that’d just confuse people more than anything.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call letting folx call them “Predators” as a major shift, nor “Hunters” or “Stalkers” or similar. They’re meat-eating large creatures that prey on people. I wouldn’t exactly say that calling the things that Run really fast, or the frontline Warriors, or the ones that hurl Boiling acid by their names gives away the sense of deep in-character knowledge of these creatures and their society.

As a matter of fact, we all agreed that needing to call-out Red Dogs, Rhinos, Screechers, was so stupid that we changed the rules around it. Not calling them “Predators” at this point is about as old-hat as having First Contact with Working Joes, and you know if a bunch of people insisting on calling them "Waltuhs"because they’re White and Bald and are Bad when they Break that’d get stale fast.

Ultimantly any decision, if any, regarding this is likely going to be within the purview of the Yautja Council and the Senator, since this is more their area of policy dictation.

I wouldn’t personally be against allowing Marines to have a very surface level understanding of Predators, and that the name ‘Predator’ is the actual human nickname for their species.

But any knowledge should be kept to 'We know they exist, they hunt people;.