BEs should be audible throughout the Almayer

It’s one thing to get that “so and so has been Battlefield Executed for crimes” announcement, but imagine hearing the roar of the Mateba booming through the halls and thinking “oh shit, who fucked up?”, and the resulting anticipation and cinematic tension of waiting to hear who just bought a one-way ticket to dead chat.

Now imagine that during a stressful situation like a budding mutiny.

I think this would do a lot to reinforce the Mateba as a symbol and, in certain situations, enable its use as a source of terror (imagine your SL gets called to CIC and you hear the shot ring out, or a situation where you never get that followup announcement).

Initially I was thinking any shot from the Mateba should be heard throughout – could be a way of knowing if the CO is in trouble – but hearing mag dumps could get old, and I imagine that might be tougher to implement than tying it to the BE. And it’s a bit less shocking if you hear it every evac.

I think rule of cool beats lore justification here, but if we need one, could be that (whether this is known to the Marines or not) the ship loudspeakers are actually playing it. Maybe COs figured out they could hold down record on their command tablet while executing, or maybe this is ARES picking up on it and piping it through the ship. Also gives us an out for making a groundside exception if we want (or if we can’t, uh, colony speakers or marine headsets?).

Thoughts?

20 Likes

2 Likes

His onto something

5 Likes

let this man cook

also when a squad mutinies, put them all in a firing line with blindfolds on so they hear the shot but dont know who was hit.

4 Likes

Roman style decimations should be permissible. A random marine from a squad is selected and the rest must beat them to death. Morale will be restored.

5 Likes

Taking this serious for a moment.

I barely remember an extremely long time ago, likely 2016 or 2017, that our audio system allowed for sounds to be heard across the map.

So explosions and orbital bombardments would be heard no matter where they were, the sounds of gunfire would ring out in the distance, maybe even the screams of people would hollow out in the night.

I believe the system was removed due to performance reasons, same as many other stock SS13 systems like atmo.

I’d have to wonder if a return of this system is possible nowadays due to improvements to the server and code base? Either way you could tie the BE into it to allow its sound to be heard across the map, for dramatic effect.

3 Likes

Incredible idea, make it faint but audible, maybe a small message like ‘You hear a faint shot in the distance’

2 Likes

Yes, just yes.

1 Like

This sounds hilarious, so I put it up on GitHub already.

4 Likes

Oh wow. Thank you so much!

I’m so glad this struck a chord with folks. Y’all kick ass.

4 Likes

YES

1 Like