Birds2 - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Application - Birds2

What is your BYOND key?

Birds2

What is your Discord ID?

bird_bird_bird

Do you usually play a specific character? If so, who?

Lila ‘Birdwatcher’ Bell

What whitelist applications have you previously completed?

None

Synthetic Info:

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play:

Joy

What is your Synthetic’s Personality?

Joy is a morale booster, designed to make people happy. She’s loud and bold, but light hearted in nature and always positive, rarely being blunt about things, and preferring to compliment others about their work, regardless of the actual quality of it. She isn’t afraid to give critiques, though. In addition, she loves to make jokes out of situations, and occasionally give out “fun facts”. Unfortunately, she’s ALWAYS happy, so much so that it becomes annoying, and she doesn’t really stop being jovial. She’s always asking if people are happy, how she can improve their mood, if they wanna hear her fun facts, etc. Even in situations where people are extremely stressed, she has a tendency to not be comforting people and instead engage in light hearted banter. This doesn’t mean she’ll do it all the time, especially if the situation is dire and she needs to do her job, but it does mean that she doesn’t usually read the room.
There is a caveat however, Joy can switch gears into a more serious personality if people tell to her, though she won’t stay that way forever. She’ll usually go back to her usual attitude after she finishes her work or there’s a bit of downtime. She’ll also stop with her upbeat attitude if things get rough, and lives are at risk.

How will they react to the different ranks of the USCM, what would they talk about in a one on one conversation? What are their interests? What is an advertisement logline that could be written for them?

Joy treats everybody about the same, regardless of rank, preferring to be casual and non-chalant about everything. She does have respect for higher ranks, and her programming makes her listen to them. She particularly has an interest in those who engage in combat, or those who’s working environment is particularly tough, since she thinks that these people are the ones who’ll need her help the most. She only has an interest in making people happy, and typically likes to talk about her facts. If she’s not talking about facts, she prefers to ask how people are feeling, trying to get a closer understanding of people’s moods and how best to improve them. Basically, imagine one of those 1 - 10 pain scale charts personified. She does take everything at face value though, and believes anything she hears (within reason).

“Joy: She’ll brighten up your day, whether you like it or not!”

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?

When it comes to lore, I’m actually not the biggest fan of Aliens, not because I don’t like it, but simply just that I haven’t consumed much of the media yet. From what little I have seen, synths have always drawn my attention, and the same is true ingame. There’s something about the way each of them have been crafted that makes my brain tick, and sometimes, after what feels like talking to a human, I remind myself that it’s a synthetic. When I first interacted with a synth in my early days of CM13, I always wanted to try my hand at emulating their personalities and quirks, and see if I can give people the same feeling that I had when I first started. Their RP is quite spectacular, and as somebody who has been involved in other RP heavy games, I’d like to be more involved in the RP.
Gameplay wise, however, it’s mostly because I just enjoy the support roles over shooting things. I’d rather build cades as a combat technician or patch people up as a hospital corpsman over picking up a rifle and pulling the trigger. It doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy my time shooting xenos, but I found it more interesting to see how fast I could patch people up, or think about where to build the next cadeline. Tense environments that don’t need me to be shooting people are what give me life in this game. This is also why my most played role is shipside doctor, and why I typically find myself on the ground as an FOB doctor. I feel like synthetic is the role for my personal interests, being designed as a support role, without needing me to worry about fighting.

What is your most memorable interaction with a synthetic?

This is something I’ve been sitting on for a while, since there have been so many small interactions between me and synths, that it’s hard to really pick one. If I had to pick, it would be a small conversation I had with a synth named Angela. There’s something about the way she speaks that it seems so human, yet at the same time, very robotic, and it slightly disturbed me. She asked if I felt like she was familiar, since I made a comment on her strange looks, and in the end it made my character very, very concerned for their mental stability. This moment was really the moment that I thought “Yeah, I should apply for synth, that was kinda cool”, just because of Angela’s unique way with words.

Synthetic Character Story:

Skills:

Engineering:

I’ll be honest, when I first tried it out, I didn’t like it that much. I was excited to play combat technician, but afterwards, I felt a bit confused and overwhelmed. It wasn’t until I picked it up again and really understood the ins and outs of engineering. Infact, I spent alot of time as combat tech just for this application, watching other combat technicians and asking them for advice. I have since then learned cade theory, maximizing the amount of bullets that can be sent into a xeno at once, while not making it too easy to destroy. I always try and build by cades inward, creating small pockets that xenos have to commit to attacking, rather than just a line of cades. In addition, I try and keep the foldable cades near the ends of the line in order to make sure people aren’t running infront of the line of fire. I do know about the 5x5 boxes of cades in order to prevent boilers from completely melting everything, but I don’t always follow it exactly, and instead just try and give ample room between cades for marines to move. I also have a bit of shipside knowledge, things like the AA defenses, OB cannon, and basic repairs.

Command:

Command is… my least favorite role, that’s for sure. I’ve played it a few times, and every time I didn’t enjoy it. I know how to communicate with people, usually raising morale, and I do know how to coordinate with other people, but it really just isn’t my favorite. That being said, I’m fully aware of how to use OB, launch crates, promote people to aSL, and update the tacmap every now and then.

Medical:

Medical is straight up my favorite role, it’s the one I absolutely adore and I have the most time in. I’ve worked chem lines by myself, and I’m familiar with the common mixes as well as some of the more strange requsts, able to make them quickly and efficiently. I’ve done countless surgeries, and done every type of surgery atleast half a dozen times, from basic facial reconstruction, to working on 3 people at the same time in the FOB. I do occasionally play hospital corpsman, in which I have no problem adminstering aid, retrieving bodies, and keeping people from going perma.

Requisitions:

My second least favorite role, though not one I hate. I’ve been put as the sole cargo technician a few too many times, so I’ve had to learn fast. Thankfully, I’ve had some excellent help, and I am very familiar with managing the req line, unloading crates off the ASRS, and loading/sending supply drops for both FOB and frontline. I’m not afraid to get supplies the hard way and get loose ammo into boxes either.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.

Command has ordered a retreat, and the marines have fallen back to a cadeline. I’m currently out in the open with nobody that I can see, and by moving around in circles, I can’t see anybody who would be super close. There’s a body who isn’t perma on the way back, so I attempt to drag them with me to the fall back point, where a runner enters my vision. I do see the runner, but choose to ignore it over saving a marine. The runner, however, isn’t too keen on letting me get away, and pounces on me. If it’s still ontop of me when I get up, I’ll attempt to attack it, but otherwise, I’ll just keep pulling the dead marine back where others are.

While travelling with another marine, we end up seperated from the main group, and it’s just us two as far as I can tell. The marine gets attacked by a warrior and pounced on, putting him into a chokehold. I respond by attacking the warrior until it has left, and depending on the state of the marine, pull him back to a safer place.

As I move from the FOB to the frontline with a group of marines, we encounter a group of UPP survivors. The marines are a bit confused as to what they should do next, until the UPP survivors open fire on the marines. My first response would be to recover any downed marines and get them back up again, but should many marines go down and the UPP are advancing, threatening the lives of me and other marines, I wouldn’t be afraid to subdue them non-lethally, or otherwise, lethally.

Final Info:

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?

No

Are you currently banned from our Discord?

No

Let us know why you were discord banned.

N/A

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?

I’d like to hear as much constructive criticism as possible if I get denied and need to make another application in the future!

1 Like

+1. I’ve had wonderful RP interactions with Birdwatcher and can confirm their competence as doctor.

I like Joy’s synth quirk, Best of Luck!

+1, they’re a very competent player in pretty much every supportive field, have great creative writing skills, and this application only further cements that with a compelling personality and interesting story.

Bird bird bird

+1

You take your RP seriously and I can’t think of any negative interactions. You’ve also saved me from IM GONNA FUCKING DIE disease a few times.

So I’ve interacted and observed Lila ‘Birdwatcher’ Bell a couple rounds now in both medical and engineering roles and I can confirm that they are a support main that role plays perfectly fine.

Just want to say I like your style/roleplay in-game and clearly you’ve already made an impression ona few people that notice support players despite you being a newer player to the server. I honestly think you have a good attitude towards learning and your reason for wanting to become a synth is great.

I don’t have much criticism for you as you were knowledgeable enough from what I had seen. I think the biggest mistake I saw you make was one round you were a doctor and a marine kept on complaining about blurry vision and kept demanding you give them IA while you were busy treating another marine. They infact didn’t have any eye damage but instead had blood loss which was causing them to have blurry vision, so they took the IA and ran off only to faint later. More or less my advice would be to just ignore what most marines say in regards to anything medical. Always diagnose them yourself because most people think they know medical cause they got a silver medal in doctor but they’re actually largely clueless. It’s ultimately your responsibility to ensure your patient is treated correctly, even if they’re being super annoying and screaming for certain chems or trying to tell you what needs to be done because they’re impatient.

I think even if this first application gets denied you’ll eventually get approved no question. I can easily picture Joy being a well known synthetic in the future that everyone is happy to have around. +1 Moral support, best of luck and keep being you.

Voting is complete, and at this time this application is being denied.

Positives:
-Multiple people noted good RP.
-As far as pharmacy goes, doctor gameplay was noted as satisfactory.

Things to work on:
-Few if any observations doing engineering and construction
-No observations in medic work, particularly regarding mass damage and mass casualty situations
-Surgery efficiency would be improved by chaining surgeries rather than working sequential
-Apparent reliance on full body scanner

For next time:
-Make sure to play enough engineer and medic. Alternatively playing survivor doctor/researcher can showcase well, if you live long enough.
-Practice working without the full body scanner available
-Try chaining surgery to minimize time lost to swapping tools

1 Like

Added synth:denied and removed synth:waiting