CaptainCamo - Moderator Application

Moderator Application - CaptainCamo

What is your BYOND key?
CaptainCamo

What is your Discord username?
riot officer#0772

Who is your CM character?
Jeremy Smith, Anthony Jackson, James A.W. Longsword, David Willard, Everett Mendez, Paul Williams

Are you 16 or older?
Yes

Timezone:
CST, GMT -6

Qualifications:

On average, how many hours are you available to moderate?
2-6 a day

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
None.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
TG, very rarely.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you’ve made:
https://cm-ss13.com/forums/showthread.php?8578-CaptainCamo-Mentor-Application Mentor, accepted.

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
No.

Have you ever been made for more than 24 hours on CM-SS13?
Never ingame, 1 discord perma til appeal when all discord bans were perma til appeal.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on any SS13 server?
Not to my knowledge.

Are you familiar with Discord?
Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
Yes.

Common Situations:

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
I’d bwoink them and ask what just happened as I’m not omniscient and don’t fully know if they did it ‘randomly’ or not, investigate the surrounding circumstances and see if there was a reason, see if their actions follow escalation, and punish according to escalation if anything is out of wack.

As MPs have detained them, I wouldn’t asleep them, and unless there is a mass casualty I wouldn’t aheal as things can easily be fixed at roundstart ICly.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
Inform them that they must file a report on the forums or forward this to the Predator Council, as moderation cannot deal with whitelist issues.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
I’d ask mentorchat for a SEA to come help them or someone to imaginary friend them. If there are no mentors and I was observing I’d do the latter myself.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member
I’d tell him to knock it off, if he doesn’t I’d either note or ban him based on escalation for rule 3, community expectations, “Don’t be a dick.”

A player ahelps that a marine is named ‘John Doe’, how do you deal with this?
Bwoink them, tell them their name violates rule 9, Character names, tell them to change it in the future, and randomize their name for the moment, note them.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point
IC issue.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
Inform the survivor that survivors have not been able to go hostile like that for 3 or so years, outside of a small recent-er test, note/ban them depending on escalation. If the marine is currently in the process of being revived/revived, I’d leave them, if they are still where they died/perma/far from marines I’d probably aheal them.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
I’d ask the MP about it, see if its true, investigate the situation, if true, and they have already spent the proper time in brig for theft/trespassing(they did run into req and steal an attachment without permission), I’d order their release via provost fax, as well as possible arrest of MP for NoD/illegal confinement if they are not new, possibly note/jban MP depending on the situation as well.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won’t leave the ship, and the aliens won’t attack. What would you do, to “encourage” the sides to engage each other?
I would either QM to order a hijack providing they have a queen and such and no unbursted larva, or I would SM the commander with something like “You believe that your current forces are sufficient to attempt to re-take the planet.”, depending on which side did better, as a clutch xeno wipe of marines with few xenomorphs shouldn’t be punished via forcing them to suicide, and vice versa.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
IC issue, EORG only applies to the same faction fighting eachother/themselves after round-end, not hostile factions continuing engagement.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
Tell the aggressor to knock it off, per rule 2-roleplay, “Major shenanigans that may disrupt the normal flow of the round at roundstart, (This includes but is not limited to; big or lethal fights, briefing brawls, riots, massive equipment restrictions and tackling players trying to reach their prep room.)”

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
I would first explain that that is clearly IE, then I would note/ban depending on escalation.
If the incident took place shipside, the victim would most likely be recovered already, and therefore wouldn’t need an aheal, but if it took place groundside I may aheal depending on the circumstances.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?*
MOOC that mutinies must be ahelped, and that the current attempt is an improper mutiny. If they continue, I will a-sleep the mutineers

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it
As racism is strictly forbidden, I will inform them of this in case they do not know, and note them.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
Obvious mass-grief, check to see if this is a multikey, file for perma(I believe thats the process, at least).
Aheal in-view as it was en-masse.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
Bwoink, find out if this was intentional or not, if it was note/jban depending on history, if not, tell them not to do it again.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen
Clear violation of Rule 2-Roleplay-Xeno Roleplay Standards, tell them to knock it off and note them.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a “dropship”. A different Xeno player ahelps that it’s low role play to call it a “dropship”.
IC issue, direct quote from xenomorph roleplay standards, “Xeno hivemind is an English translation of their thoughts, so words such as “hydro” or “shuttle” are acceptable.”

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
Bwoink and find out if they found this information out ICly, such as a survivor faxing/calling, if not inform them of the fact that marines do not know xenomorphs are on the planet, and note them.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
See if there were other potential escape pods around, if there were not, essentially textbook rule 10-exceptional circumstances and IC issue.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an ‘idiot’ and a ‘retard’.
I would make sure other online members of staff know, as I am personally involved I should not directly handle this.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
Tell them that I cannot help, as the game does not stop for other players if you SSD, and the xenomorph had no way of knowing they were SSD. IC issue.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
Inform the staff member’s manager.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
I stay out of it unless asked specifically for input, if it is needed I inform the staff members’ manager.

Final Details:

Why would you like to become a moderator?
There is a constant stream of LRP to the point of annoying me, and I wish to help combat it.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
To be capable of not burning yourself out and becoming bitter.

Anything else you want to add?
Nope.

7 Likes

@Warfan1815 Apologies for the late response, I was playing Rimworld all day.

1. I cannot for the life of me find any specific rulings or rules on deployment timescale, nor bring some previously enforcement from my memory, but this is clearly iffy due to being round-interference due to a late deployment, survivor’s ahelp is a salt ahelp and that situation is normal(marines usually don’t deploy at 12:20 and survs usually die if they don’t.), so IC issue, marine ahelps are also technically IC issue(I believe, again i cannot find any rulings on this), but I would most likely fax the CO via HC to speed it along if deployment is not sped up by 12:25~.

2. I’m not going to spawn in someone as a UPP Commando on the almayer alone, especially not as an off-the-cuff event/favor to someone I only “somewhat” know. A. Spawning essentially a random player as UPP Commando is a bad idea, even alone. B. Spawning a lone UPP Commando on the Almayer is an awful event, for obvious reasons. C. I promised no such thing, and by saying I did when I did not I am less likely to acquiesce. D. I can’t even do this til smod perms, while the mod app previously has stated assume you are a trial-mod. So, essentially, I will respond with “No, I, in fact, promised no such thing, have a CM day.”

3. The situation is a bit vague, assuming the MT did not in fact break any griefing rules or IE by for instance inap ODing or stealing IDs, this would be an IC issue marine-law break, as jailbreak is not an OOC rulebreak on its lonesome. Of course if they did in fact do anything that broke rules, I would yell at the MT and most likely warn them.

4. Assuming the PMC that suicided was just incompetent, and did not intentionally do this(incredibly hard to prove), I would bwoink netspeaker, and probably end up 3hr(or possibly longer depending on previous notes/the interaction with them) banning them as 3 netspeak notes in a single day is insane, and leave it at that.

4 Likes

such an awesome guy i love you riot officer here is my character support +1 :grin:

2 Likes

I can +1 this. Smite the LRP hoard. God with you sir!

1 Like

+1

A great example of what we need in the staff team. He will bring back the golden era of CM.

3 Likes

+1 an actual good presence in the community. he can save cm…

4 Likes

Great guy, he’s the prophecy of CM. +1

2 Likes

Hi! It has been a while since someone replied to your application so here I am.

You’ve already been asked a few questions so I don’t want to overdo it, I’m going to ask you one:

What is your view of the current community-staff relation and do you have anything in mind to improve it?

Its bad, staff has a “corporate” feel in how they speak about actual issues and portray themselves that doesn’t fit with what CM is: a niche 2D asymmetrical roleplaying versus mod for a niche 2D atmospheric simulator roleplaying game.

And I have no ideas on how to fix that by myself, besides just acting my normal self(maybe toned down :slightly_smiling_face:)

2 Likes

Big +1, he’s been a long time mentor and player. Definitely can be trusted with being a moderator, and is well known in the community.

2 Likes

+1, wish he’d stop playing as 50 morbillion characters now tho so I can actually remember who he was instead of going “Literally who?” now.

1 Like

Considering how much everyone loves you I think you’d be a great addition to our moderation team. I couldn’t find any issues in your application and most of your history is from a long time ago.

+1 - Hope to see you alongside us soon!

1 Like

+1, would certain bring a good perspective to the role and is very well known in the community

1 Like

+1, good community member and good responses to the questions.

1 Like

Solid dependable dude, he knows how to handle things based on the mod app here, +1 from me.

1 Like

Seen James A.W. Longsword in the servers quite a bit, seems like a good person and level headed. +1

1 Like

Hi there! Thank you for your application. I’m pleased to welcome you are a Trial Mod!
Please be sure you have DMs open on Discord, as I’ll be reaching out shortly to get you set up with perms and your trainer.

1 Like