Community transparency.

Turns out that one of the new Helldivers enemy factions to democracy is gonna be the CM staff

6 Likes

Yeah lmao, I’d much rather the policy forum be actually responded to and acknowledged versus a thread to collect people babying about not being able to say slurs.

It feels like management really ignores policy posts/we don’t even get management opinions posted in there, much less actual conversations. Like some mods will post there which is cool but doesn’t have any impact.

A lot of stuff I’ve ahelped for clarification of fringe stuff always ends up as “we will bring it up with management and see what they say” with nothing more occurring leaving everyone in the dark

More communication in both what management is discussing and the outcomes of these discussions even if it’s an “eh” type indecisive response, would be nice

Edit: I want to clarify that my displeasure is entirely just from the fact that even the more minor policy posts just go ignored. Even a simple “nah, we stick with status quo” with no reasoning attached would be helpful

5 Likes

It’s amazing they just closed the thread about the “r-word”: Newest change - Deltard - #75. The issue wasn’t even solved – you can indicate someone is a “tard” via deltard, but if you add a re to the front of it it is still a cardinal sin? What?

The hosts and lead full time discord janitor were getting justifiable piled on, so let’s just ignore that awkward decision and not talk about it. There’s still what, 10+ people who were banned for daring to joke about the word ban (which should absolutely be ridiculed) who have to go pay obeisance to the same little-lord to get back on the chat?

Why is the game “hosted” by a trio of folks who seem to despise the community? Serious question – if they’re burned out, why stay? Is it the same force that powers Wikipedia and Reddit moderators – once you get power, you don’t want to give it up, no matter how petty it is?

4 Likes

Of the threads that have had interaction in the past 30 days (most being 30 days older or more)

There were: 15 threads

1 was a duplicate (animal cruelty)

4 were gameplay issues (dropship door being unbreakable, hedgehog rav, SSD marines, HvH synths)

Of the remaining 10, only 4 had any form of management response or a solution with many of these being over a month or two old.

1 Like

My reasoning to being angry isnt the banning of slurs, i really couldnt give two shits about it. My problem is how managment handled the whole thing by being passive aggressive and literally telling a large majority of players they should just leave if they dont like it instead of opening dialogue. Along with the fact they didnt even discuss the change with the staff team who will be responsible for enforcing it. If they want to ban slurs then go ahead and do it, but at least do it with some grace and not try to divide the community. The whole thing was handled as a joke in the discord and just antagonized the playerbase.

4 Likes

It’s not like you play anyway…

2 Likes

Until somethings in management change, there will probably not be anything different in the way management acts and will still decide in a small room with closed doors until they change mindsets or retire, or even play once in a while.

3 Likes

Honestly, i hade a few problems with the basic managent structer of CM for a while now.
For one that for some reason CMs hierarchy is very closly resembeling a normal business hierarchy.
Wich absolutly does not belong at such a place.

A pyramid hierachy only works in a buisness because the one at the top has an actual power over the once below them. Usually being that they own the buisness, and there lowers are resplacabel while the top ones are not. And you know, their wages.
Its the most easiest way of doing it, but it has problems. People tent to abuse the power they have over people. No matter how good of a person they are. Power seduces you to use it. Always.

That has absolutly no place in such a community. Like non. The closer it gets to that, the more it becomes a breeding ground for toxicity. Because in an evoirment where your power over your subordinates isnt their monthly pay, but your word, your word tents to not be nice.

It would be much healthier if the hierarchy would resemble a more flat one. There is a reason why buisness with it dont really get scandels and such about workplace abuse on the same level as once with pyramide hierarchy. I mean look at valve, they got a flat one and they got so little work place abuse incedence, that it has gotten uncanny. And honestly its kinda scary, like you dont know if its actually that peachy or everyone is just waaay to frigthent to spill a word about it.

Honestly, for those whom are interested, just look into that stuff a bit yourself. Incredibly interesting.
But its important that there are examples that show we could have a more flat hirarchy wich can work.

If you belive the form of hierarchy rigth now is fine, the whole war that happend between morrow and frozen a while back is proof that it is not. That that was able to happen, shows there are fundamental problem.

I have more to say, but this is too long already. Something something, comminuty manager, split of power, etc.
Sorry for the ramble and bad spelling/gramma

1 Like

That’s not what that thread was about, despite everybody derailing it to bitch about not being able to say that, it’s original purpose was to complain about the banning of deltard, not anything else, and now that deltard is confirmed unbanned that thread is solved.

2 Likes

Anarchist theory with unga-characteristics,

critical support to the PFC workers councils

It’s not solved because now that “deltard” is unbanned, the original ban no longer makes any sense. You can call someone a tard, but not a “re”-tard. Or is only deltard okay. If so, why? Deltard clearly implies that someone on delta is…welll…uh…tarded.

The rules being forced down have no thought behind them. It’s obviously not about making anything “safer” or more “inclusive”, it’s just about being a boot stomping on the players. It’s the worst type of abuse you can get in community leadership. Tired, burned out, not engaged, but still has to randomly show up with brief decimations to instill fear and let everyone know you’re still the boss.

4 Likes

I got told Grim said and I quote (not verbatim) “I don’t need to play the game to make it fun for people”

4 Likes

It was proven countless times that one doen’t need to play the game in order to make it unfun for people, so why shouldn’t this work as well?

1 Like

i dont have much to add, just as another voice adding that i agree that this is just silly, and that we should have dialogue

2 Likes

notadenocracy

8 Likes

My lap top is being repaired.

2 Likes

I want this to happen and hope it will.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t want CM to be a democracy anyway. In fact I think that would lead to even worse abuses in nearly the exact same way as is happening now but with even less transparency, accountability, or capacity for anyone improving it.

The ideal server in my eyes is probably something more like Plato’s philosopher kings; a dictatorship by the competent and invested. With clear delineation of authority, hierarchy, AND the responsibility that stems from those. When someone makes a decision, you should know who is responsible. When someone needs to make a decision, it should be possible for them to do it immediately and for good effect.

4 Likes

This man bringing up Plato. Respect.

2 Likes

I daresay you do actually need to play the game to make it fun for people. I would consider that a duty of someone in charge, and if they don’t, they are being neglectful.

At the point where you don’t play, but you still police everything, then you’re increasingly there only to hold onto your status and authority, less to make the game or community better.

Unfortunately the game is rather time consuming to oversee. It’s just a game, a hobby, it’s not a job, but the respect, power, and influence you have from the top of a leadership position is something nobody ever wants to give up. It’s instinctively addictive. (I’ve been there)

Sometimes we have to do things we don’t particularly enjoy doing, but the end result of it is better for ourselves and others. These are things I usually call duties, and they go hand in hand with discipline and responsibility. When you shirk them, you become undisciplined and irresponsible, and I think staff who don’t even play the game they’re overseeing fall into being undisciplined and irresponsible and this becomes a respective influence on their actions.

I think it’s unfortunate to have someone who doesn’t play the game, in charge of managing so much about it. Maybe that focus on managing instead of playing the game is fueling some of this desire for more rules and policies irrespective to the wishes of the playerbase?

Because I can’t imagine a deltard who just wants to grill xenos for God’s sake, caring much at all about someone calling him a deltard. It just strikes me as something you start thinking too much about when you’ve stopped occupying yourself with the fun side of the server.

7 Likes