DOOMETERNAL - Staff Report: Enforcement Action Taken - stalkerino

DOOMETERNAL - Staff Report: Enforcement Action Taken - stalkerino

What’s your BYOND key:

DOOMETERNAL

Round ID:

Your character name:

Nickolas cruz, or maybe Nikolas, one of those, just check the logs.

Their BYOND key:

stalkerino

What are you reporting?:

Enforcement Action Taken

Description of the incident:

Note is as follows:
Rule 9 - Note: Player joined as Nickolas (u guys can dig into the logs to see the name idk) Cruz, was confronted and they said that it was randomly generated. Was given the benefit of the doubt.

Now, I first want to say that the moderator definitely made the best judgment with the given context of the situation and their knowledge at the time of the note. However, because I am innocent of intent and the note content is particularly egregious, I do want it removed. I almost always run random names when playing as a marine and rarely fiddle with them, the day of the incident was no different. That round started as usual for me where I spawned in as a marine and deployed without incident, I think someone mentioned my name looked spanish or something but it didn’t click for me at the time as I think something else was preoccupying me. I was very oblivious to what my name was connected to, and like I said, I usually run random names and just didn’t catch it. For the duration of the round until the admin pinged me during the match I wasn’t really cognizant of the issue and once I was asked why my character was named Nickolas Cruz, it clicked for me. I know should have been more vigilant on my part, but still, I would like this note removed. There seems to be a discrepancy in which Nickolas was used, I don’t remember modifying the name or not, I don’t think I did, but even if I did, my intentions were DEFINITELY not to reference the you know who, and if it were that I would not be making this appeal for the note as the moderator was very lenient.

• edit: remembering now … I’m farily certain it auto-generated nickolas cruz and I actually fiddled with the name removing c, which happens to be the exact name of that guy. Definitely not … on purpose to reference the guy… check the logs to make sure please I hope i’m not planting false memories, really sorry either way.

Evidence:

Look at the list of first and last names that can be generated
Nicholas
Nick
Nickolas
Nicolas.
although i’m pretty sure there was no c in my character’s name

4 Likes

Hi Wilson, as I said on discord I am not part of the rules enforcement staff so I will not be making any decisions or opinions on your report.
But since this is code related and I responded to your question about this in the development channel on discord I just wanted to make sure the context is clear for the staff member that reviews this report for you.

The code which handles the generation of random names is found in names.dm which converts the text files provided in the OP into lists which get “picked” from when a random name is chosen.

This is the proc which generates a random name

This shows that there is a possibility within the code that the name Nicholas Cruz or Nickolas Cruz can be generated.

Heya!
I dont think this report is too complicated so I’ll resolve it really quickly.

The name you were using ingame was “Nickolas Cruz”.
Stalkerino contacted you about it and from what I can tell the entire interaction went fine and the exact note that they gave you was this:

Stalkerino has edited doometernal’s Admin notes: Rule 9 - Note: Player joined as NIckolas Cruz, was confronted and they said that it was randomly generated. Was given the benefit of the doubt.

I can understand that you feel uncomfortable with the note but it really isnt a punishment at all, just like stalkerino told you in PMs its for recordkeeping. I believe you when you say that it wasnt intentional and the note reflects that. The note is just there so a future staff member would have a reference point if you, for whatever reason, were using that same name again or using a similarly not allowed name.

The note is there for staff members to communicate that something happened and that you were told to please not use that name without needing to DM every single staff member (retired or active) to ask them if you were told to not use that name in the past.

Anyways while I get the initial reaction of “I didnt want to do that, why am I getting noted for it?!” it really isnt a big deal and Stalkerino did the right thing in placing the note.
So I’ll be denying this report. The note will stay in place and no action will be taken against @stalkerino . Like I said the note is just there for recordkeeping, not as punishment. Just make sure to not use the name again and there really shouldnt be any consequences for that note.

Added report:denied and removed report:pendinglogs