Establish Predators as Known Threats - Moving Past First Contact

Title.

There’s prescedent in the movies:
Predator - Dutch has his first contact, but Anna establishes that Predators have been visiting for years and Latin people know about their records.
Predator 2 - The CIA has tied Predators to a series of incidents including the first movie, recognize them as aliens that hunt people, have observed their technology and prepared countermeasures to stealth and vision tech.
Predators - They’ve been abducting people for years, though there’s no evidence people really noticed or were able to send word back.
Prey - Predators have been visiting Earth for centuries, and some of their visits have been included in folklore, paintings, and carvings.
The Predator - Humans have observed, documented, and collected not only evidence of Predators, but their hunting patterns, live specimens, and full-on reconstructions of their technology. Also nobody would shut the fuck up that entire movie so it’s fair to say that hundreds of other people learned about them.
Alien Franchise The USCM have had notable encounters with extraterrestrials from Xenomorphs to Arcturians and beyond, based on your pick of movies, games, comics, and books. As Predators couldn’t avoid detection from just eyes, and repeatedly failed to evade cameras, there’s no doubt that their documentation has continued into the 2100s. This includes evidence of them in seemingly unrelated missions, firefights with them, and even co-operation and romance :flushed:.

CMSS13 - Beyond the fact that they’ve been in the game for the better part of a decade, we’ve also seen how tired the tropes of deploying a full battalion armed to the teeth to see why a distress call on a planet that probably doesn’t have any bugs on it before some Red Dog kills someone alerting Marines to a Rhino charging their lines before they find a bunch of black goo leading to a Screecher.
Beyond that, we’ve also seen the adoption of full-on Pred-hunting loadouts and cliques, despite my inability to find that one collage someone made of like, 50+ different instances of a robusto covered in glowstick goo while wearing predator masks. It’s safe to say that nobody’s keen on maintaining the illusion of First Contact anymore.

As we’ve seen with moving beyond First Contact with the Xenomorphs is that none of it carried the implication that each crayon-muncher now had a Xenology Doctorate and honorary degree in Metaphysics and could map-out the evolutionary history of the species or the precise cooldown and exploits for each strain’s abilities: It simply enabled players to call a Spade a Spade, a Runner a Runner, and to avoid having to find justification for bringing certain loadouts to the planet or evac/AA guns/defenses on the ship after hijack is announced.

Similarly, all this would meaningfully change for Predators is . . . being able to tell people to not derail a mission over the 7-foot boogeymen with plasma weaponry who hunt humans for sport, or if they’re shot at, or if they’re insulted. People could still hunt them, they could still hunt humans, command could confidently announce “Predators/Hunters identified on-planet: Maintain focus on Hydro and keep your distance” rather than “Unidentified Alien Organisms of Dubious Caribbean Influence Spotted” and even open-up more roleplay for people who are aware of these threats and want the glory of killing one, the pay-off of collecting their gear (“Huh? Why’d Laser Bigfoot break onto our ship and slaughter the entire research department? I’m stumped . . . literally”), or potential for diplomatic outreach. We don’t know that they’re Yautja with Predtonium Engines and Combisticks or whatever, but can still recognize Hunters with Advanced Technology seeking to hunt worthy combatants.

11 Likes

AVP franchise: literally every time someone sees a predator in any of the games they don’t know what the hell it is(This was summed up perfectly in a review of AVP 2010 where the reviewer mentions he’s been waiting for someone to say “It’s a predator, we’ve encountered them like fifty times how has no one documented it?”)

So clearly the marines don’t know what predators are in AVP, even though they’ve been seen like five billion times and there’s an entire wing of the CIA dedicated to it so it makes no sense either way, clearly W-Y and UAAC must know it exists given they literally have entire divisions for it but grunts in all the games don’t seem to so it would make sense for the marines in game not to know, I think it should really depend on if High Command bothers to send something like “Oh yeah here’s an entire document about the weird dreadlock mask wearing skinner people that we kept classified from the general public”

4 Likes

The OWLF are also a thing, who are basically entirely dedicated to hunting preds and keeping them secret IIRC.

6 Likes

Make it so that only SOs and above (and the CL) know what a Predator is to some extent, while the basic grunt can call them that, they wouldn’t know any extra information. But then again, it may be used for meta purposes so…

2 Likes

While I don’t think they’d be telling the Mess Technician or survivors right away, and I doubt it’d be part of basic training, I can’t help but feel “There’s this whole species that randomly shows-up, kills entire platoons in minutes, and sends the survivors back home missing limbs and covered in plasma burns” that would be important information to have for command, medical, and senior enlisted. The US sure didn’t tell all of their troops about the merits of the Viet Cong or Taliban and their nation’s proud history, but when people started coming back to base missing legs they did make an effort to let people know they should watch where they step so they don’t blow their squad up with an IED.

I actually really like that, lol. Reminds me of Warhammer 40k’s Guardsman’s Uplifting Primer, where all the info the grunts get amounts to about this:

That information disparity could lead to some fun conflict in the round, with Marines knowing Preds can go invisible and have powerful weapons, but only Command knowing that they will violently retrieve gear at all costs and whether or not to tell marines to do it anyways.

6 Likes

I just finished playing the new Rogue Trader game and used that as my influence, the average Guardsman really has no clue about a single thing but war… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve always been in favor of predators being a known threat. I despised the ‘first contact’ rules of old (regarding xenomorphs), and I think the obliviousness to predators is similarly mechanical (though not nearly as bad).

9 Likes

Making Predators a known threat, and keeping their knowledge down to the absolute minimum of “we know they exist”, “they cloak”, and “they hunt humans” would not have any real impact to how the game goes outside that now we are not doing the same clueless chicken dance every time they appear.

9 Likes

+1 current way just causes new players or other people who let it slip to get an admin pm anytime they dont call them “jamaican” or “hunter” etc etc

2 Likes

I think SO is still a little too low of a rank to know about it, i think the roles that should know are: CMP(they have access to multiple UAAC security files, someone would probably have wrote something down about invisible skinner people) ASO and IO’s (They’re apprantly part of some Anti W-Y Intel squad so they’d probably have got at least some files about the pred temples) XO and CO (they are above ASO and CMP so they both should both have access to the files about preds) and CL depending on the map (E.G the CL knows if it’s on LV-624 and New varadaro because the reverse engineering division was there to study the preds but they don’t know if it’s Solaris Ridge because there’s no pred gear on the map)

1 Like

This is a thinly veiled stepping stone to resurrect the “dont call predators Jamaicans” nonsense.

Because the second it passes and marines know that predators exist, you will be right back here again to push to remove the need to call them anything but.

If I am mistaken then by all means… lets do it. PROVIDED you agree that we can still call them Jamaicans if we want to.

6 Likes

Why would they be called an LRP term if people don’t have to make up stuff in order to call out preds if it’s no longer their first contact (even tho Jamaican for seeing a full cloaked person made no sense in the first place)

That’s like exclusively using “;RED DOGGY MAIN ROAD!!!” for runners in the current ruleset

3 Likes

Thinly veiling stepping stones defeats the point of stepping stones. You’re supposed to step on them.

If there’s a nice, clear path on the beeline between A and B, instead of some nonsensical distraction on the side, then all the more power to the people calling the-things-that-prey-on-people Predators.

I also fought a far less infamous war on UNGA Juice because I was here in 2019 when it was called Quick Fix and I still had faith in humanity, and we see how that turned-out.

3 Likes

I think it’s a good idea, I’m so tired of being wordlessly PB’d in the ass every time I try to talk to a marine and RP so anything different is a plus in my book. Maybe them having IC knowledge will open more paths.

6 Likes

You guys literally have no soul. Why can’t you just RP not knowing what these guys are? It’s really not hard, HOLY SHIT CLOAKER!!! WHAT IS THAT THING??? SHOOT IT!!!

People really are like “erm why is CM RP so shit/dead???!” The community making posts like this is why.

Restrictions on knowledge etc does not restrict RP, it makes it better.

6 Likes

because thats literally all the rp is its JUST WHOA WHAT IS THAT!!! AAAAAAH IVE NEVER SEEN THAT!!! its like rping hijack theres only so many ways u can pretend the alamo has never left before.

5 Likes

I think personally that command is more than capable of simply telling people not to mess with the unknown threat. It’s a matter of whether or not people will listen which would not whatsoever in my opinion, be impacted by the knowledge or lack there of we’re allowed to use in game. I think the roleplay standards people have in regards to interaction with predators gurantees that whatever direction is taken will show minimal impact to these standard, except for making the ‘ceiling for misunderstanding’ higher

In this, I mean that at the current moment a person citing out pred honor code or something and getting a resultant HPC is rare. Fairly rare.

If we make predators known? I would not be surprised to see that become more common, as people may associate basic knowledge with predators as to knowing the honor code. Yes, there’s a real punishment for this, but how many times people getting HPC’ed until we’re back where we started, begging for honor code to known to marines so people stop getting aggroed whenever they’re dumb and cite honor code?

Overall, roleplay standards and the ability for people to roleplay are what hold things back. Anyone capable of really roleplaying would be able to wrangle out a fun duel or interaction with a pred, it’s not the fault of anyone else or the context of the roleplay, that a person literally can’t help but insult a pred and get attacked for it. First contact or known threat, doesn’t change the players, just the context in which they act in and I feel the context was never really the issue.

In addition, I feel citing lore is in poor taste. Not because it’s inherently bad but because lore arguments just don’t add much. I feel it’d be better to focus on ‘What benefit does this bring and is it worth the change?’ - Lore is absolutely fluid in CM and our homebrew lore is distinctly different to Aliens already- after all the benos we have here are literally psychic which is a coinflip iirc as to whether or not thats true in various depictions of the Aliens universe(s)

1 Like

I absolutely and completely agree.

1 Like

because the current state of pred RP is people who shout 'JAMACAIN NEAR ME HEP JAMICN" when they see someone moving by at max speed while cloaked and its deemed as ‘not lrp’

4 Likes

The state of pred RP if they were a known threat would be the exact same thing. There’s no point to the change in my opinion besides wanting to change how we refer to predators and a fair few people don’t want that and it’s not the subject of this post. What is - is making predators known threats. Which I think will not improve the roleplay around them. The players are the same whether or not you change the setting and context they’re playing around in.

2 Likes