What is your Discord username?

Hermotimos#8876

What characters do you play on CM-SS13?

Herm Timos

Are you 16 or older?

Yes

Timezone:

EST

On average, how many hours are you available to moderate in an average week?

20+

Qualifications:

Do you have previous experience in game or community moderation?

Moderated multiple RP communities in other platforms, biggest one having over 3 thousand members in it’s discord server.

Provide any links to any previous CM-SS13 whitelist, mentor or staff applications:

N/A

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on CM-SS13?

No

Can you actively engage and communicate with the team through Discord?

Yes

Final Details:

Why would you like to join the CM-SS13 staff team?

CM has been a unique community that I have been following for some time now. Its unique gameplay and roleplay aspects make it one of the more niche communities in which I have participated. That, combined with my predominantly positive experiences moderating RP communities, leads me to believe that this could be a quite enjoyable and interesting experience in the long run

What makes you a great addition to Staff? (Experienced Tabletop DM, Aliens Lore Buff, Super Organized, etc.?)

I have experience setting up RP events and scenarios in the past. Currently, I serve as the lead Seaman on a USCG ship, where I am responsible for a group of 10 individuals. Having served in the military, I am no stranger to working in groups. However, if necessary, I am also fully capable of performing my job on my own if needed

In your opinion, what is the most important quality of a CM-SS13 staff member?

Approachability and problem-solving skills

Anything else you want to add?

No

20+ hours a week is a full-time job in some places.

At least a part-time job in most places.

This makes me worried that you intend to take on an unrealistic workload, and will burn out rapidly upon joining staff.

The discord stuff I am more interested in, could you give me some more info about said server?

As for a quick rule question, what is your understanding of I.E.? When can I.E. rules be ignored?

Could you give me three examples of I.E.? One where I.E. rules can be ignored, one where I.E. rules have been broken, and one where combat has happened, but I.E. rules haven’t been broken.

Now that I think about it, 20 hours was an overstatement. Based on my current schedule, I will adjust it down to 10~ hours a week.

The RP community you asked about was ‘Phoenix International.’ The game was a group-only RP experience based on the Primal Carnage universe, developed on Roblox from 2020 to 2021. Its gameplay was a blend of RP and TDM aspects. Half of the community assumed the role of a security company tasked with recapturing escaped dinosaur specimens after a facility-wide shutdown occurred. The other half of the community played as the dinosaurs, each with their own behaviors and rules. The dinosaurs’ mission was survival (as the game included survival mechanics) and evasion of capture. The game shut down in mid-2022 due to development issues. If you’d like more information you can find videos on YouTube, some of which have over nine thousand views

As for a quick rule question, what is your understanding of I.E.? When can I.E. rules be ignored?

I.E., or Improper Escalation, is when a player applies unnecessary force against another player without a valid RP reason. It’s similar to how use of force is managed by law enforcement and military forces in real life.

I.E. rules are situational and depend on how the round is progressing and how the players are interacting with each other. These rules can be bypassed if the RP situation allows it. I will list an example of this in the next question

Could you give me three examples of I.E.? One where I.E. rules can be ignored, one where I.E. rules have been broken, and one where combat has happened, but I.E. rules haven’t been broken.

WHERE I.E RULES CAN BE IGNORED: In an HVH round, a riot is happening somewhere remote. Marines are deployed as peacekeepers. The CO is on the ground with the marines when they suddenly find themselves surrounded by an angry mob. As one of the marines retreats, he notices that the CO is being beaten and dragged away by the mob. The marine instructs the crowd to release the CO, but some of them actively block the way and tackle the marine. He unholsters his firearm and opens fire on the individuals attempting to stop him

ONE WHERE I.E RULES HAVE BEEN BROKEN: A marine has been reported running around naked inside the Almayer by the CL. A brand new MP proceeds to track down the mischievous marine. As the MP searches the CL’s office, the marine suddenly jumps out of a closet and starts hitting the MP. The startled rookie reacts by firing on the marine until he falls dead.

COMBAT HAS HAPPENED, BUT I.E RULES HAVEN’T BEEN BROKEN: As the XO gives the evacuation order, Alpha Squad rushes to reach the Alamo, their squad leader battered and nearly crit. As half the squad boards, with the xenos hot on their heels, the PO takes off, leaving most of Alpha behind. The Alpha Squad Leader slams on the cockpit door, cursing at the PO. The PO exits the cockpit and tells the SL to be quiet, which escalates into a heated argument. Finally, the PO has had enough and tackles the SL. The SL doesn’t stay down and counters with a punch. The PO answers with another punch, and given the severity of the SL’s wounds, he fears he may lose consciousness. The SL pulls out his boot knife and warns the PO to stop. The PO goes in for another punch, but the SL responds with a stab. Shortly after, MPs arrive on the scene to detain both of them.

If you’d like more information about P.I. and my role there I can send you some pictures and information in DMs.

I’m happy with the answers to my questions.

In scenario one there was an active threat to life, the CO was unable to defend themselves, and it was an event, all things that can cause I.E. to be ignored.

In scenario two the MP has escalated from fists straight to lethal force and has failed to use any of their non-lethal weaponry, of which they have plenty. You could also argue that it was a rule 10 mandatory obedience of ML (for MPs) break.

In scenario three you show how combat can escalate from shared melee to shared deadly melee.

Clearly, you understand one of our harder rules to understand. And while complete rule understanding isn’t needed before you begin training, a keen grasp of them is.

I’m happy that you’ve addressed my concerns surrounding the amount of hours you can dedicate and some quick Google searches confirm the existence of your previous experience in online spaces.

Phoenix International also appears to be a totally normal, quite fun looking, Roblox game: Phoenix International | Primal Carnage Wiki | Fandom

All of this is to say that your application shows an understanding of our rules, prior experience in moderating online spaces, and a realistic approach to being staff for CM.

+ 1

Hey there! Thank you for your application. On review, everything looks good to me, so I am glad to welcome you to the team!

Please make sure DMs are open, I’ll reach out to you via Discord to get you set up with perms and your trainer.