Herr-Alois

What is your Discord ID?

Mr-Herr-San#6706

What is your timezone in UTC?

UTC-00

Player Name You Use Most?

Wolfram ‘Krieg’ Bittenfeld

Ban Appeals, Whitelist and Staff Applications:

Have you been banned in the last 3 months?

No.

If so, why?

Command Knowledge:

How familiar are you with command positions?

Aside from my current time record, I was a whitelisted CO from late 2019 to early 2020. I was removed as CO for being inactive. Alois ‘Galewolf’ Bielefeld.
As I did not play BYOND for a little under 3 years, I forgot my account password with BYOND seeming to not like sending emails to hotmail for an account retrieval. As such I made a new account when I started playing again at the end of last year.

Before becoming a CO and also during that same time, I played XO, CE, CMP, SO, SL roles as my primaries.

As CO I oversaw a diplomatic event with a Predator Elder in which we dealt with abominations.
I dealt with a rebellious XO who turned the SO’s against me because I didn’t implement the plan for squads they wanted. Provost was called and all CIC staff had to leave the operation effectively unmanned, I don’t recall who I left in charge.
Keeping an eye on research was more important as green xenos were a admin intervention, as such all xenos were hostile and there was the potential for a xeno to turn into a Queen if the one on the colony died.
Additionally paying closer attention and providing support for the IO’s was important due to the DEFCON we had.

As CMP I had to memorise the times for each crime as the automated system we have now was not in place.

As CE I had to make sure the reactors were managed as each round most of them start off broken and drained, and the charge did not last nearly as long as it does now.

Hours in XO:

Not including my time 3 years ago, 8 hours.

Hours in SL:

Not including my time 3 years ago, 23.7 hours.

Character Information:

Why did your character decide to become the CO of a ship?

To ensure the honour and integrity of the USCM was upheld in the face of WY encroachment on their values as soldiers, and with the thoughts of his past commanding officers he’d served under, coming to realize that the standards they had held to were slowly beginning to slip with the new generation of Officers at the fore. With this in mind, he drove himself harder to obtain a position of command where he could instill those old values once more to those he commanded.

How did your character attain the position of CO?

Signed up to join the USCM at the age of 18. During initial training programme was selected for OC due to his exceptional test results and displays in live fire exercises. When asked for his reasoning for signing up as a rank and file trainee, stated: “I would feel it more appropriate for those commanding their subordinates to have come from where they are now.”

During training, showed a keen interest in history. Though more interested in the military theory of training, was still devoted to strict body training programmes, emphasizing agility over strength.

Showed much contempt for Officer Cadets who earned their place in the academy on account of their connections over any real merit, and was often involved in brawls with said individuals.

Graduated from the military academy with a distinguished level mark, opening up his options of where to seek station.
After consideration was picked to be stationed aboard the USS Washington, an Arikara-class patrol transport, as an SO, LT grade 2.

As story below states: Promoted to Captain after his predecessor died in the field of duty and subsequently taking control of the mission in operation to its ultimate success.

As story below states: Promoted to Major after his predecessor died aboard the USS Washington, the details provided about their encounter with the Xenos leading to his promotion.

Provide a short story of your CO.

Though the initial years were uneventful, with the scattering of recon and suppression of disgruntles colonists taking up the meat of their operations, he came to know the CO of the ship on a first name basis on account of his steady handling of mission deployments, and his close moral standard they both held themselves to.

Though he had no qualms with meeting his men in the canteens and the social areas, mingling with them as he saw them all as equal in their active service, he still preferred the peace and quiet that came from working in CIC and the Officer quarters to the hustle and bustle of the rank and file. Though he maintained his rigid sense of professionalism, he was still able to endear himself to those below him in the chain of command for his no nonsense mannerism, and the respect he showed to everyone regardless of rank.

Several years later came the first real challenge the crew and this ship had faced since deployment. What was initially reported as yet another minor disturbance on an outer colony, turned out to be a full CLF sponsored uprising. However this was not discovered until the XO had landed via dropship and the task force had made their way into the administrative areas of the colony. Bittenfeld was stationed groundside along with a squad of men which were securing the landing zone when explosions all around the colony erupted into flames, and speakers around the colony started blaring the CLF’s announcement of the colonies liberation.

Shortly thereafter, a ragtag of marines from the initial taskforce arrived back at the LZ with word the XO had been killed at the rest of their squad either dead or MIA. As the most senior officer groundside and the delay of communications on account of a jamming array, Bittenfeld felt he had no other option but to mount an independent action with the marines he had at his command. Informing the the PO’s to take off and bring word to the Major of the events thus far, he made his move against the CLF.

Calling his men together, he could see the fear and uncertainty in their eyes, the trembling hands and nervous looks.
“Who are we?” He said. “The first to fight!”
Then again, “Who are we?”
Those at the front began to shuffle closer responding but unsure, “The last to leave.”
“Who are we?”
Now louder, those at the rear chiming in, “The first to drop.”
“Who are we?”
The training began to kick in, their drilling taking over as they spoke as one together, “The last to bed!”
Bittenfelds voice rose above the battles noise, the only thing his men could hear.
“Who are we?!”
“Marines!”
“Who are we?!!”
“Marines!!”
“WHO ARE WE?!” He bellowed.
“MARINES MARINES THE CORE’S MARINES!”
Their eyes were aglow, the fires in their bellies roared once more. Bittenfeld raised his service pistol high and pointed towards the CLF’s position.
“USCM and Victory! Advance and kill!”
In came the reply without hesitation or doubt; “ADVANCE AND KILL!”

What came next was a display of Bittenfeld characteristics which earned him his nickname among the troops, Krieg. Outnumbered, he cut through the opposition like a hot knife to butter, leading from the front he inspired his men with his own actions, never letting them falter in their blazing assault upon the defenders, now holed up inside the administrative sector. A dog bread for war, to fight and to kill.

Once inside, the defenses crumbled, as the remaining forces either surrendered or fled, only to be tracked down in the ensuing crackdown on the planet. Having found the remains of the XO, who had been shot clean through the head, and managing to secure the few marines who had been captured alive, he gave the word that any CLF who wished to die an honourable death after defeat were permitted to commit suicide. Those who did not were taken back to the ship with the fallen and injured marines.

In what was little more than 30 minutes, the situation had turned from a battered and overwhelmed force of marines, into a full rout of the enemy, and the securing of the XO’s body and the rescued prisoners, he was promoted to Captain, and took the place of the old XO aboard the Washington, and awarded the medal of exceptional heroism for his efforts. Additionally through his own recommendation, many of those who had served with him in the
mission also received commendations and medals.

Several more years passed since the events which lead to his promotion aboard the USS Washington. On what on all accounts appeared to be another ordinary day of patrols across the outer colonies, the unexpected happened. A derelict ship was spotted on the scanners, nothing left but but the hulking carcass of a UPP frigate. Engines off, and no hail received in response, the order was given to board the ship and scour it for evidence as to what happened, and why they were so far out of their territorial space.

The marines were prepped and boarded the ship along with the IO’s, as gave direction over the comms, watching through the head cams of the men. What could only be described as a kind of foggy sauna, and dark tubing etched around the ships interior, with no sound or heat signature found on the scanners.

Minutes passed in agonizing silence as the marines combed the ship for any evidence as to what went on aboard this now empty and lifeless ship. However, the silence, for as drawn out as it may have seemed, was short lived. After an IO had entered what appeared to be a containment chamber, his comms went dark and visuals lost, gunfire was heard across the radio chatter and frantic screams of withdrawal made as deafening screeching rang out all around.

A team was quickly scrambled to reach the docking bay and retrieve those making a fighting withdrawal. Unbeknownst to the CIC staff, in all the chaos a second UPP frigate had entered the space opposite the now teaming hulk of the initial ship. Though it mattered not, as the UPP made their presence and intent clear upon arrival. To destroy the derelict frigate and expunge all traces of the infestation which was now thrashing against the marines holding the docking bay.

No additional hails were received by the UPP, who were now primming their primary cannons. The defenses aboard the USS Washington were crumbling in the face of such overwhelming ferocity, cutting all opposition away as though they were mere stems of wheat.
The Captain, seeing the inevitability of their demise, ordered a general evacuation of the ship, and ordered Bittenfeld to ensure all personnel, including himself, boarded the escape pods. The Captain, however, would remain in CIC and oversee things from there. “Death before dishonour”, were his final words to Bittenfeld. Making his way out of CIC, he grabbed an SG from the armory, making use of his specialized training, and made his way along the upper escape pods, calling for all men to abandon ship, and that their duty was paid to their fallen comrades, and to now survive to continue their legacy. Those who were unable to make it to pods, he rallied to the lower escape pods where the tank was making its final stand. Bielefeld had now come face to face with the enemy, a hulking, mass of tubes and ebony bone, with more slime you could shake an Eel at. In hopes of stalling the aliens and keep them away from CIC, he had the men hold their ground alongside the tank for as long as they could. Though he knew it a fruitless task. Eventually, their defences were overun and he ordered a retreat along the maintenance tunnels, men being carted off at every corner as he suppressed with with a wave of bullets from his SG. With but a handful of men left, he made his way to the upper levels once more, losing yet more men until it was just him and the Chief Technician left. Though he had felt some presence in the back of his neck that this was going to be his final mission, his use of the optic sensor on his SG alerted him to the presence of one escape pod still left in the Corporate Liasons office. Though the door locked shut without authorization, he used his SG to blast the doors open and made his way inside the pod with the CT, even as they hoards of black fanged beats darted towards them. While Bittenfeld operated the control terminal and punched the escape button, the CT threw grenade after grenade out the door to keep the aliens at bay. With 10 seconds to launch, the doors shut closed.

But it wasn’t over yet. The doors violently flung open and a monstrous, towering figure made a gut curdling screech which knocked them both to the ground. Unable to move, or fire his gun, the behemoth of a beast dragged the CT out of the escape pod and into the clutches of the ravenous mob beyond. This, thought Bittenfeld, was it. The door was open, he was parylized, and those things were out there. Just as he thought this, the doors locked tight once more, and the pod blasted out of the ship and into the open space beyond. He was out. The last survivor aboard the last pod. His mission, was over.

On the other end of the broken frigate the newly arrived UPP vessel, with a single broadside, tore the derelict ship asunder, with shattered remains being sent hurtling towards the engines of the USS Washington. The engines were fried, and the ship began its slow decent into the the gravity well surrounding the nearby sun. Eventually burning up in its atmosphere and taking all the aliens, and our Major, with her.

Some time passed since the events which transpired aboard the USS Washington. Bittenfeld and all those who escaped were debriefed, and sworn to secrecy as to what had happened. Though none aside from Bittenfeld, had actually seen the alien known as XX-121 and survived. The incident was swepped under the rug, the details purged from their reports with the aid of the UPP who were not pursued.

In light of his efforts, and the details he had provided, Bittenfeld was quietly promoted to Major, with no accolades to raise suspicion. He now heads towards his next vessel, the USS ALMAYER, to bring a new tale into being.

Command Actions:

When do you believe it’s appropriate to pardon a prisoner?

If the role they have is important to the mission, while the crime itself being taken into account and whether or not one believes their release would be more beneficial than detrimental. One should also have all the necessary information regarding the arrest and crimes committed to hand before doing so, ensuring that if it is a Capital Crime, HC is informed and gives permission to do so.

Give some examples of when you would or would not use pardon.

If I am a witness to the alleged crimes of a prisoner and the arrest by MP’s, deeming an appeal unnecessary and so as to save time and also if the arrest was illegitimate, illegal, or overly zealous.

If a squad is causing issues and refusing to deploy while one of their members is in prison, ensuring that the squad or all those present agree to make the marine deploy groundside with them and hold no members of CIC or the MP’s responsible. If the marine killed a member of the crew, only in cases where either there is ambiguity as why the murder took place. Such as self defense. Or if they were able to be revived and no further hostilities can be ensured. Not if the prisoner killed someone and hid their body leading to perma death. This would have to be explained to the rebellious squad or marines trying to secure their release.

When do you believe it’s appropriate to use a Battlefield Execution?

If a marine has entered into CIC and begins to take shots at any member of the command staff present.
If while leading from the front, a marine purposefully attacks me and we are away from the FOB/arrest not possible.
If while trying to organise the defences of the FOB while under siege a marine is harassing/interfering/obstructing me continually and even after informing them to cease their actions they continue.

Give some examples of when you would or would not use Battlefield Execution.

I would not use BE if a PO sends the DS without orders, either before the mission starts or in the event of an evac in which marines are left behind at the FOB.
If a criminal has been successfully arrested and imprisoned I would not.
If the crime is a Capital offense such as forcing/allowing marines to become infected and potentially burst, then I would BE them if they were not imprisoned already.
If an SO or above sends a fax to HC or Provost calling for my removal from command I would not BE them, if they are calling for other members of the crew to remove me while waiting for the return fax, I would BE them.

(Under It would seem that under " How familiar are you with command positions?"
Over half of what I wrote, including the removal of my playtimes, was removed (I went back and forward on the button app) so I have quickly added a little of what I wrote. Happy to answer questions on my command knowledge as I’ve missed bits out from what I know.)

Don’t you need 30 XO hours even returning?

I am wrong. I suppose I’ll be waiting a while longer then. Apologies for the time waste.

EDIT: When applying I was taking into account my previous time as XO, on my old account, which would have made my time well over 30 hours. I’ll now assume this cannot be looked into or that it does not count towards it as it was over 6 months ago.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but even returning COs who were previously whitelisted still require at least 30 hours to be eligible for reapplication. Please see the pinned thread Applying for the CO Whitelist and view the section on “reapplying COs”. You can reuse your application once you’ve earned the hours.

This app is denied due to insufficient playtime. You can reapply in 30 days.