IsaacExists - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Application - IsaacExists

What is your BYOND key?

IsaacExists

What is your Discord ID?

isaacexists

Do you usually play a specific character? If so, who?

Eliott ‘Scavenger’ Tireman

What whitelist applications have you previously completed?

None.

Synthetic Info:

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play:

Kai

What is your Synthetic’s Personality?

Kai is an incredibly perceptive and over-analyzing Synthetic with a knack for remembering finer detail, whom speaks in such manner with a proud tone. He is known for his ability to describe events, procedures and otherwise easily forgettable details with ease, and definitely enjoys doing so! With that being said, he tends to hang out more with science personnel whom can tolerate his over-the-top explanations.

How will they react to the different ranks of the USCM, what would they talk about in a one on one conversation? What are their interests? What is an advertisement logline that could be written for them?

“If you need a business partner, or perhaps a science buddy, there’s no one better to accompany you than Kai, a synthetic unit with a knack for progression.”

Kai is not only obedient to authority, but also respects their place and their inputs. His valuable insights and collected data could be of major use to them, and they perhaps have realized that when purchasing him. In terms of topics during conversation, there’s no doubt Kai would attempt to bring research into the mix, whether it’s a relaxing coffee break or a full on scheduled work hour, Kai won’t miss an opportunity to interest his listeners with the wonders of science.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?

Out of every whitelist possibility, I feel I can amplify the roleplay nature of the server with Synthetic the most. Granted, I’d probably have more fun as a Predator, but the Synthetic whitelist calls to me. First off, being able to play as Kai whom I have artwork about and a great mindset for could be a lot of fun to expand upon in the actual game. I also really enjoy the Synthetics purpose, prioritizing assistance to the people rather than combat, it’s exactly how I like to play support in other games. But most of all, the true reason I wish to become a Synthetic is due to the fact I’ve always had a knack for robotics, as my father is a robotics engineer and it’s one of my great interests. That is why you should whitelist me as the next synthetic unit for the USCM.

What is your most memorable interaction with a synthetic?

As I recall fondly, being a corpsman in the field of LV-522 Chance’s Claim and suffering heavy casualties on the frontlines, a great synthetic unit by the name of “Holiday” was joined at my side. Us two were the primary two medics out on the field (Before I got decapitated) and we took care of many marines side by side. It was pleasurable to be able to roleplay with them and express my character as well as assist the team in a great effort.

Synthetic Character Story:

Skills:

Engineering:

Incredibly. I know proper electronics usage, walls, windows, airlocks, APC repairs and constructions, as well as how power is spread throughout the Almayer, as well as proper and user friendly cade management. I am familiar with the comms towers and the generators you’d find groundside as well.

Command:

I’ve played quite a few rounds as Staff Officer and am not afraid to communicate, give orders, manage a surplus of Marines when necessary, but Command is definitely not my strongsuit. I’m more of an assisting sort of person rather than a take charge, but I definitely have it in me if necessary.

Medical:

I am very familiar with Medical, but I require practice in a few key parts, such as limb replacements and being able to fluently work with ease. When it comes to medicin usage and proper diagnosis, I am an expert, but my surgery could use some work as to be quicker at it. I’m familiar with the steps required to fulfill any surgery however.

Requisitions:

About as familiar as one can be. I’m great at managing our resources and money, and making the best out of what the Almayer can offer at the start of a round. Playing as a requisitions officer, I managed the communications with command, the sending down of supplies and also the basics of manning the reception all fluently. There’s nothing about requisitions that I’d deem necessary to work on at my current skill level.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.

Synthetics have strict programming guidelines that forbid them from fighting in most cases, and especially not in a lethal sense. However, it is possible for a synthetic person to utilize non-lethal means of pacifying individuals until they disengage, through scenarios such as attacking you (The synthetic) or an innocent whom you are near and wish to protect. There is a boundary, however, that a synthetic may not cross; It cannot be reckless with their self as they have a primary rule that their self-preservation comes first. To keep this short, someone’s being hostile, primarily disengage, but if necessary, utilize non-lethal methods to subdue the target. No guns, no explosives, only certain melee weapons.

Final Info:

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?

No.

Are you currently banned from our Discord?

No.

Let us know why you were discord banned.

N/A

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?

Thanks for reading. =)

1 Like

What’s the artwork?

Hey man thanks for applying!

My worry with your synth quirk is its usability in game. Being over analytical is cool, but I was hoping that you would show how you would do it in your story. Unfortunately, I didn’t really see it. The dialogue in the story is really unrealistic in most situations in game, and so my worry is that you’ll abandon the quirk and just go to “default synth” cardboard dialogue. Is there a way you could show some examples of what Kai would speak like in game?

Why do you have art work for a synth that you don’t have yet?

The art work I’m creating is an animation of the story which was posted in the google document, and it showcases my synthetic in a viewable sense. I spent many months preparing for this application and so making artwork of the character, in which I have created in the character setup screen, allowed me to more-so imagine sitting next to them and having a discussion. I’m aware of the fear that many whitelist holders have about synthetics degrading their personalities over time and I promise you with wholeheartedness that I have thought about it too many times, and I do not believe I missed the mark with the story, although I respect your insight into it. But for further clarification and perhaps some assistance, I could provide some examples here:

-Scenario 1
MP: “Kai, can you tell me why this laboratory is covered in blood and bullet holes?”

Kai: “Hm, had my arrival not been incredibly late, I’d have a definitive answer. However, I’ve come to a thesis. After the initial testing of the blood lying on the ground I have determined the type to be A- which only Lieutenant Alex possesses, along with another type, O+ which none of the researchers carry. The bullet casings match closely to those of the 9mm VP-78 rounds, of which the pistol I recall in Lieutenant Alex’s shoulder holster approximately 1.39 hours prior to this moment. The table is flipped, there are shattered beakers, and clear signs of struggle elsewhere. An assault of sorts likely occurred here.”

MP: “You got all that just by looking at the place? Damn, well alright.”

-Scenario 2 (Synthvivor)
Corporate Liaison: “I’ve had just about enough with these damn terrorists causing a ruckus on our colonies. Do you know how they’re getting those weapons?”

Kai: “I’ve hypothesized the cargo shipments from last week have been modified or otherwise marked inappropriately. The estimated intake would’ve been 4 cargo containers, with standard weight protocol, however, the weight in which we received had been significantly heavier, approximating 1.3x the kilograms which was initially expected. The quartermaster of our colony had always been shifty, with a tendency to check around himself whenever he checked a box on his clipboard. The colony director had spoken plainly about his attitude at the meeting last month, in which I was in attendance for briefly. I suspect that a smuggling operation could be a possibility but the data is inconclusive, perhaps an investigation could be in order.”

Corporate Liaison: “Could be… Anyways, let’s focus on the task at hand. How long would it take you to clean up this mess?”

Kai: “Approximately 2 and a half hours from the beginning of the procedure. With proper tools and chemical supplies, 1.8 hours.”

Corporate Liaison: “Yeah yeah just hurry up will you?”

And as a final note for the reply, I’m curious as to what doesn’t stand out in my story for the personality. I would like to say this as nicely as possible so I’ll chalk it up to a Big Hero 6 reference: “I fail to see how flying makes me a better health companion.” - “I fail to see, how you fail to see, that this is awesome!”

So all I can really say is believe me I will not abandon the quirk. And that’s all I can do, until given the chance to showcase it to you firsthand in-game, all I need is that chance. =)

Hi Isaac and thank you for your interest in the Synthetic Whitelist.

We felt that the first part of quirk was a bit too convoluted for regular gameplay - ie you would not be able to apply it in most scenarios. It would be fantastic if you could be stuck in research but chances are as a Shipside Synthetic you will have a plethora of more important things to do. Instead, you can opt for keeping this as part of your future personality but having something stronger in its place that you could apply round to round. While roleplay is vital, something as dialogue based as yours which would take 10, 15, 30 seconds to type out may be too sluggish for both you and other players.

We felt your story could be stronger, there were also some weird holes in the plot where it’s unknown how Kai was found - yet they found him on a ship. Kai states he’s on a ship but doesn’t state which ship - it would likely be plausible that the team that recovered Kai in the first place would know at least where they found him from. I think that your RP of being overanalytical here was conducted in a unique and interesting manner, but I still probably would not recommend it to be the base of your Synthetic’s personality just because it’s difficult to pull off in the fast nature of situations sometimes.

I like your reason for wanting to be a Synthetic! It is great to hear about your passion here.

In the future I would like you to state actual scenarios for your combat answer, ie “If a runner were to approach a downed marine and I was nearby…” etc.

Your experience answers were OK but you should definitely elaborate more if possible. In addition, frontline triage and combat surgery are key aspects of what Synthetics are known for. There is no higher skill when it comes to medical assistance, so make sure you are well knowledged and well experienced in this regard!

Overall, perhaps the biggest hurdle in your application here was the lack of support and vouches. It would be fruitful if you play more Corpsman, field surgeon etc to get known out there. Since you enjoy RP a lot, it should help you create a memorable character that people like, especially since you’d be in medical positions. During our observation period we were unable to find you playing human support roles.

The application is unfortunately denied but you may reapply in 23 days due to voting dilation(10/11/23). Before you do that I highly recommend you get some more experience in those support roles! Best of luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Added synth:denied and removed synth:waiting