IsProbablyCatto - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Application - IsProbablyCatto

What is your BYOND key?

IsProbablyCatto

What is your Discord ID?

cuddlecatto

Do you usually play a specific character? If so, who?

Sam ‘Mid’ Jones, Esper ‘Fem’ Foster, (FE-M)

What whitelist applications have you previously completed?

Yautja (Accepted, old forums)

Synthetic Info:

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play:

Harry

What is your Synthetic’s Personality?

Harry is the every-marines’ best friend. Always there to keep morale high, stress low, and to see everyone at their fit and best! Harry is best brought along for those stress-filled, longterm patrols around our most distant star systems. Those long stary nights are hell to a marine that just wants to go home; but with Harry there as a strong, metallic shoulder to lean on, it’ll be over in no time!

All telemarketing aside, Harry fits as a Counsellor or childhood friend to keep marines spirits high to ensure they stay at peak fighting form. He keeps a calm and approachable demeanour that aims to let grief-striken privates open up about their woes, his synthetic and logical nature aids to convince them that his suggestions are the best way forward.

How will they react to the different ranks of the USCM, what would they talk about in a one on one conversation? What are their interests? What is an advertisement logline that could be written for them?

As described above, Harry is more patient and engaging when talking to lower enlisted. He tries to bring up personal topics such as family at home, hobbies they’re looking forward to pursuing, or even just their favorite cassette. Harry aims to be their closest friend, someone they can count on for anything and fix any problem. Trusting Harry is his main goal, as he knows whats best in any situation.

When speaking with upper ranks of command, from department heads to even the Major themself, Harry takes a more conservative approach. Appearing as more robotic and order-focused as any human would expect from a synthetic, helped along by the public perception of the widely popular Working Joe series. As they interact more often he tries to be more personable, warming up to their command structure like any marine would. Many officers may prefer strict, by-the-books order and action, many prefer relaxed conversation like Harry is a part of their department staff.

Harry’s interests focus on people. Their likes, dislikes, interests and histories. How they react to pre-operation orders or how loud their warcries are for canteen pizza. All of this helps him changes his answers, tweak his behaviour, ensuring he’ll always be the most effective and know just what to say. Seeing marines happy, healthy and active is his job, and the closest a synthetic can feel to pride in their work.

“Harry is always happy to see you, you AND you! A perfect people pleaser to keep everyone at their finest form.”

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?

The idea of whitelisting for synthetic has floated around my head since i’ve started playing CM. The interesting roleplay that comes from a cold and emotionless robot attempting to mimic human nature but only succeeding just enough to trigger the uncanny valley effect. Programming ensuring they’re pure on intention, yet always bring mistrust as there is a sense of dread you can never truely shake. Disposable yet survives the worst conditions without a fault just so humans don’t have to risk it. Seeing players replicate that in 2D spacemans where their strongest tool is the windows visual studio code pop-up textbox I saw in college really surprised me when I first started. Above the roleplay aspect I love playing support, Doctor, Corpsman and CAS being my strongest roles. Keeping other players’ rounds going and hearing friendly greetings over comms when they recognise me is why I keep trying to get better.

As for why I should be whitelisted; I believe I have the game-knowledge and good intentions to play synthetic, the experience gained through my other whitelist of understanding my tools and being trusted to use them well, as well as the (for lack of a better term) name recognition that backs it all up.

…Also please I need something other than labcoat vs snowcoat as fashion options.

What is your most memorable interaction with a synthetic?

I was spawned in as a combat correspondant by an admin to the W-Y ship for the chemistry ERT, assigned to get the latest info on their discovery of two potentially industry-leading chemicals soon to be in production (DNA disintegration). Over 20 minutes of light RP later, the ERT shuttle is hijacked and lands filled with xenos, slaughtering the two security officers as my great journalist cowers away in a locker. Once the xenos clear out of the area and take the shuttle back to the hijacked almayer, two synthetics quickly take their place, discovering me crawling out of my hidey-hole. Quickly informing them of the two missing officers, the synthetics rush and save them seconds before they fully permaed, allowing us to take the rest of the round regaling our tales from colony side as well as encourging my newly traumatised journalist to push this terrifying story to print.
Unfortunately its been a few months so I don’t remember their names, but it certainly is a round thats stuck with me for a while.

Another honorable mention is a round yesterday where I got to be Second Lieutenant Wiggles’ K9 handler, saving marines throughout Fiorina with some very terrific robotic dog overwatch.

Synthetic Character Story:

Skills:

Engineering:

I’m pretty confident in cading dos and don’ts, comtech and MT duties and their encounters i’m practiced with. APC repair, cade repair, airlock and vendor wire functions. Definitely know enough to get by.

Command:

Certainly my weakest area time-wise. Know my way around overwatch consoles, OB and AA. Assumed an “expert” by an XO, as little faith as that gives!

Medical:

Absolutely my strongest area. Can fix any mix of injury and surgery. Surgical speedruns are a favorite passtime. Confident in working through several mounted bodies and triaging accordingly, ordering marines to CPR or corpsmen where to focus. Only place I haven’t experimented with are personal chem-mixes.

Requisitions:

Another strong area, solo CT operations are another favorite. Metal and ammo always welcome, mortar shells on big open maps, claymores for backliners, radios for comms outages. My second favorite role outside medical!

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.

Synthetics can perform combat in defense of themself or USCMC personnel; without the use of firearms, or other indirect weaponry such as CAS, Mortar or OB. A couple scenarios include:

A hysterical MT attacking them with an axe. They can subdue the threat as they’re protected by marine law, such as disarming their weapon and cuffing them with zipties.

A xenomorph is attacking wounded USCMC personnel who struggle to fight back. The Synthetic can defend the personnel with melee weaponry until the threat is neutralised or retreats.

Final Info:

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?

N/A

Are you currently banned from our Discord?

N/A

Let us know why you were discord banned.

N/A

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?

Synths get all the cool PRs so I gotta jump ship while I can!

This dude plays with a bright fucking purple UI it is insane. Anyone who can suffer through that consistently and still be a fantastic medic and doctor has gotta have what it takes.

+1

I’m confident in their mechanical skills.

This man knows what he’s doing, (for the most part) and is active in the community. Gimmick is relatively common but there’s really only so much you can do especially in the terms of a round.

+1

council approve this man now or I will come back to your ranks and scrap you guys for parts.

1 Like

Easiest +1.

Catto is familiar with every support role + RPs well, morover formed yautja council. I have no doubt he is competent enough to be a good synth.

1 Like

Forgot to throw one of my lesser known characters I haven’t used in a while, “Laele Vrinn”. Apologies!

1 Like

+1 Sam is really fun to talk to on discord and is a eeally good player in general and i think would be a really good synthetic

I keep seeing Sam ‘Mid’ Jones around as a Hospital Corpsman and Doctor. They definitely have what it takes.
+1
Enjoy destroying Xeno pushes one cade at a time.

As an applicant you seem to be a good match.

I just dont think your quirk is quite refined enough.

I see where you are going annd what you are aiming for…

Perhaps pick a former occupation. Maybe you were a guidance counselor or gym coach for a middle school. Or a psychiatrist. Or a radio DJ…

Something positive and charismatic.

It will make it easier for you to stay in character and react. And ultimately be a recognizable synth.

1 Like

Oh, my bad! The synth’s job/role on a ship is a counsellor, hence keeping marines at their best so far from home. Me having to clarify to people in DMs should’ve tipped me off to make it clear…

I think you are a reliable player, however your personality is generic and extremely unwieldy. I do not think that your quirk will be especially usable in game. I think you will struggle, outside of your friends, no one is going to want to sit and talk about their characters feelings. Moreover, if you’re the USCM synthetic no command personnel is going to want you shipside talking to marines about their feelings. I think you should go back to the drawing board on your personality and pick a new one entirely. Think about characters from media that you like and make a synth version. Dale was Black Dynamite. Patrick is literally Patrick Bateman. Many of the best synths are just that, pre-existing characters made into a synth. I think you should withdraw and come back with a more robust personality/quirk.

For these reasons -1

1 Like

They are not an inbred moron, and they have proven they can follow some set guidelines, honestly seen worse quirks [personalities] so you can roll with this but it’s down to you see how you can fit it in- say give me an example of what you’d talk about to a marine during groundside FOB surgery.

During FOB groundside surgery my usual go-tos would be “How’s the frontline?”, allowing the marine to talk about how they got their injuries facing down a ravager or bodyblocking a crusher to death. If they’re wearing headphones from their walkman I usually ask their favorite tape and what they’re listening to now.

Given Harry’s personality; asking how their family is doing back home, whether they’ve written faxes or letters and if they need help writing them. Finally asking what they’re looking forward to after the operation is over, giving a jovial “I’ll see what I can do!” towards their food cravings or wishes to play boardgames they have shipside.

Hi IsProbablyCatto and thanks for your interest in the Synthetic Whitelist.

Your Synthetic’s personality is unfortunately quite limiting due to how it may be easily compared to other Synthetics - ie most Synthetics try to keep morale high, and maintain spirits. The counselling part of your Synthetic would be the unique aspect, however it is considered weak. This is because based on the way you described the quirk through your story and in writing, it is very sluggish and doesn’t mesh well with 9/10 interactions in a normal CM round. Your quirk would require persistence in rounds which would require you to find the same person multiple times a day, thereafter spending a lengthy amount of time to get into serious counselling. We believe this is the number one inhibiting factor of your application, and would recommend you either change your quirk or dial it back where it may mesh well in a round of CM.

I noticed in your motivations of being a Synthetic they don’t exactly align with your Synthetic’s quirk - possibly meshing something into this category would be fruitful.

Your story as mentioned, showcases a good RP potential but we believe the dialogue is simply too sluggish and unrealistic for a standard round of CM. A method we recommend for you to try is at least a few lines of dialogue which may represent a round-to-round encounter in CM.

Experience answers were fine, though they could have been elaborated more.

Generally speaking we were able to observe you well in Corpsman and Surgery but we wanted to see a bit of commtech. This however did not hold you back due to the vouches you had.

This is unfortunately denied but you can reapply in 28 days due to time dilation(11/4/23). We recommend you be observed in commtech and corpsman. But above all else, rework the quirk to something better meshing with ingame!

Best of luck! :slight_smile:

Added synth:denied and removed synth:waiting