johnkilgore

What is your BYOND key?

sapper212

Total Ban Duration

perma

Reason for Ban

Transphobia

Appeal

Yeah, I was in the wrong. I’m known for my shitposting behavior and attitude in the community. There was a discussion in the CM channel, and I made some comments that were transphobic during a discussion of pronouns, not due to a hatred for anyone just because of my ignorance on the topic that was being discussed. I left the discord shortly after because I was suffering from major burnout and kept leaving and rejoining the discord. I was told it was supposed to be a warning yet since I left it was a permanent ban. Once I realized I was banned and what I did I immediately reached out to the person involved and apologized for what I said. I understand that this is a major offense and I deserve to be banned for it, but I ask that you look at my record and see I have zero transphobic behavior in the past and I think a Permanent ban is too much. I have made a severe mistake and for that I’m deeply sorry. I did not mean to demean anyone I was just ignorant and uneducated on the topic. I have decided to educate myself on the topic and completely stop the shitposting behavior.

2 Likes

Howdy! I am both the person who reported Sapper’s initial post in addition to multiple others from that same stretch of day, and the one they apologized to not long after. To make my bias clear: I do not regret a single other one of those reports and frankly would have gotten some minor satisfaction out of seeing their appeals here, and even more petty satisfaction from seeing them denied, because I’m just that lame.

However,

None of those other users - most of which are back - apologized to me or anybody else involved for their behavior. Not just like “I’m sorry”, but went through the effort of finding a middle-man to apologize for them. Hell, most other folks just get right back to their bullshit.

Kilgore, to their credit, did. Nobody else who has made an appeal as a result of having done something wrong by me ever tried to make it right, and as we can see from the report: They didn’t name me, or post a screenshot, so I’m willing to believe it wasn’t just to cover their ass and get some brownie points for this appeal either.

With all of that in mind, whether the offending comment was intentionally malicious or just atrociously worded and misinterpreted: I feel that this last note and ban should be removed and we should welcome them back for the example they made alone.

4 Likes

Sorry about having someone else apologize for me, After I got banned, I had like no other way of reaching out because I didn’t know your discord info. I had one person in my DMs I trusted and was retired staff, so I had them pass the message along. I was going to ask them to give me your discord info so I could apologize over dms to you, but I felt like that would make it look like I was trying to harass you and I didn’t want to do that. I will say it wasn’t organized very well because I was honestly freaking out once I realized what I did, probably should have sat down and made it better worded English class was never my strong suit, so I suck at writing/typing things. But to be honest I’m glad you reported me, the fact is that I was being an asshole to not only you but many others in the discord. I let this sit in my head for about a month so I can think about how I can change my perspective and attitude with interacting with others online. Of course, it’s hard to completely change in a month but I feel like I’m on a good path and a much better mindset. One last little comment, I just wanted to say sorry again and thank you for giving me this wakeup call and actually giving me a second chance. It really means a lot and I appreciate it, even if I don’t get unbanned im glad we ended off on a good note.

much love.
-Kilgore

3 Likes

based on arty’s feedback here, i’m gonna lift this ban for you. i really am glad you’re taking a more positive path here, and i hope we see continued growth

Added appeal:approved and removed appeal:waiting