What is your Discord username?

Kane#2159

What characters do you play on CM-SS13?

Phelan, Fenn Nyx

Are you 16 or older?

Yes

Timezone:

US Eastern (UTC-4)

On average, how many hours are you available to moderate in an average week?

~10

Qualifications:

Do you have previous experience in game or community moderation?

Yes, I have been an officer in one previous and one current arma 3 milsim groups, and done both internal moderation as well as on a public server owned by one group.

Provide any links to any previous CM-SS13 whitelist, mentor or staff applications:

Unfortunately my WL and mentor applications (both accepted) were on the old forum and are giving me 404 errors.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on CM-SS13?

No

Can you actively engage and communicate with the team through Discord?

Yes

Final Details:

Why would you like to join the CM-SS13 staff team?

3 things. 1, there seems to be a common situation where moderators are lower in availability than needed and I think Iā€™m qualified to assist. 2, it opens some additional tools to synthetic council with investigations rather than being reliant on outsourcing to management. 3, Iā€™d like to run events at some point.

What makes you a great addition to Staff? (Experienced Tabletop DM, Aliens Lore Buff, Super Organized, etc.?)

I have experience with DM-type activity, and am fairly familiar with setting lore at least compared to average.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality of a CM-SS13 staff member?

Being consistently diligent, I would say. You donā€™t want to come to snap decisions without being diligent about investigation, or just because of personal feelings or experience with someone. Being consistent in treatment of everyone and thorough with getting relevant information helps reduce issues from bias and maintain good faith with the community.

Anything else you want to add?

Not at this time

1 Like

Some questions to start this application off.
What would you do in these situations?

Questions

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.

A player ahelps that a marine is named ā€˜John Doeā€™, how do you deal with this?

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines wonā€™t leave the ship, and the aliens wonā€™t attack. What would you do, to ā€œencourageā€ the sides to engage each other?

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a ā€œdropshipā€. A different Xeno player ahelps that itā€™s low role play to call it a ā€œdropshipā€.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an ā€˜idiotā€™ and a ā€˜retardā€™.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.

I would start just asking why they did it. If itā€™s just an accident then itā€™s handled already. If it was purposeful it sounds like it likely falls into IE, and they would receive a warning or if they have history of RDM at round starts, possibly a timed ban under rule 4.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?

I would advise them to take any screenshots or recordings they think they might need, and link to them the player report system as well as explain that they may make a report on discord by directly messaging a predator council member. I would also advise them to write down the round ID from the status tab of the HUD and the approximate time in the round it is.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.

First I would check the crew manifest if thereā€™s a SEA available. If not, Iā€™d see if any mentors are available using msay to do the imaginary friend for them. If not, Iā€™d DM the naked player and try to help them enough to get to their SL/department head for assistance.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.

If such a staff member is available I would advise them of the situation, and see if they wanted to involve themselves. If not, I would close their issue out with whatever resolution is appropriate based on factual evidence, and make an addition in their note about the behavior.

A player ahelps that a marine is named ā€˜John Doeā€™, how do you deal with this?

I would advise any SEAs or mentors available of a new player, and DM the Doe asking them if theyā€™re new, and link the server rules to them (rule 9). I would also offer to help change their name for them to whatever theyā€™d like.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.

Itā€™s illegal but if theyā€™re just carrying a rifle thatā€™s not an issue I think needs administrative intervention for.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?

I would check to make sure the survivor was in fact actually the CLF survivor, and that they didnā€™t uniform change or anything. Iā€™d also ask the marine to describe their interactions and if the survivor said they were friendly. If the survivor is in fact the CLF survivor, has not uniform changed (ditched their headset and swapped all clothes) and the marine says they didnā€™t declare friendly, then itā€™s allowed within rules.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.

I would advise them to demand an appeal, and if thereā€™s any other violations or they are not seen by an officer in 10 minutes, send provosts in.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines wonā€™t leave the ship, and the aliens wonā€™t attack. What would you do, to ā€œencourageā€ the sides to engage each other?

I would probably force a bioscan or 2 to prod the marines. If they still wonā€™t go out, I might have a contingent from another (friendly) human faction come in and try to nudge them with carrot-type incentives, as to me the roundā€™s sided in the human side currently.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?

First I would confront them IC, calling them out and asking whatā€™s up, making a lot of noise about it. If thereā€™s a CO on the ground, I might even call them over too. If itā€™s a legitimate mistake, Iā€™d tell them the info about OD limits. If they ignore me or itā€™s not, I would admin sleep them and DM them and tell them about OD limits and they need to stop. If they still ignore me or say they understand, I wake them again and they continue doing it I would jban them from medical roles under rule 4.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.

Unless there was some reason the CLF and marines were aligned, I would advise the CLF player that their faction is hostile to the marines and so there is RP justification for engaging and killing a hostile faction member after round end.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.

I would link the escalation of force rules to the marine that did the killing and explain to them that unarmed threats donā€™t get met with firearms unless itā€™s a legitimate threat to your life. I would also inform them this is an IE warning, or if they have a history of IE they may be getting a timed ban.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?

I would probably send an ARES announcement about an unauthorized armed gathering, and marines to stand down and return to standard duties. If they persist, if it looks like hijack is coming or something where adding more marines could cause problems I would MOOC the human side about the proper mutiny request procedure. If thereā€™s no hijack coming and itā€™s a weird mid-round mutiny attempt I would probably try sending a riot police ERT first.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.

Server policy is 0 tolerance, with a mandatory 7 day ban. I would advise the player making the jokes about why theyā€™re in trouble, link to them the specific rule 3, and in the future just avoid touching anything that could be construed as racist in the future before issuing the ban.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.

Since they logged off, we canā€™t question them though this is pretty bad anyway. I would admin heal the victims, and issue a rule 4 ban that has a good explanation of why as well as a link to rules included in it, in the event the person tries to log on again and actually reads the ban message.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.

I would DM them and ask why theyā€™re leaving the hive. If they donā€™t have a good reason, I would advise them that they are violating rule 2 expectations for larva and to return to the hive. If they donā€™t turn back immediately, I would issue a warning/timed jban depending on their note history.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.

I would DM them and advise them of xeno roleplay expectations under rule 2, that they are expected to obey and respect the queen as subservient in the hivemind, and that they should not be using netspeak or ā€œmeme speakā€.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a ā€œdropshipā€. A different Xeno player ahelps that itā€™s low role play to call it a ā€œdropshipā€.

I would tell the player ahelping that under rule 2, a xenoā€™s speech/hivemind is considered a translation of English and allows for recognizable descriptions as well as specific names for things such as dropships, specific map locations, guns, etc. It is posited that the lore for this is that one xeno to another is transferring essentially thoughts, so as long as you recognize what theyā€™re referring to, and it isnā€™t meme speak, it works for communication and abides by rule 2.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.

Once they werenā€™t busy, I would DM the commander that posted in rule 2ā€™s deployment subsection, the marine force knows about xenos but not that theyā€™re on the planet normally as a warning. Iā€™d say theyā€™re fine to carry on and probably put a paper by a fax machine on the planet asking the marines to come save them from xenos if I have time.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.

This is a super tough one, as evacuation and hijack is a super extreme circumstance with incredibly high stakes. I would lean towards issuing a warning and telling them not to do that again, as to me I think the 2 witnesses would probably make most people go look for another pod. I donā€™t think it merits stronger intervention unless it becomes a habitual behavior.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an ā€˜idiotā€™ and a ā€˜retardā€™.

I would make any higher staff available aware, and then contact the individual again, advising them if they disagree with a staff intervention they can use a staff report, and link it to them. I would also advise them that they are in violation of rule 0.2, and persistence could result in punishment. If they do not cease or continue belligerence in the DM, I would issue a timed ban.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?

I would advise them that I canā€™t do that, and that part of the responsibilities of medical marines is to evacuate SSD marines. Xenos are free to exploit failure to secure SSD marines.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.

I would first just privately say what I think was wrong, and they might just agree and correct what they said. If not, Iā€™d contact the appropriate manager in their chain of command and say what I think was wrong. One or both of us should get educated that way, and prevent further issues.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?

Slightly different from the above, I would contact my own manager above in the chain of command, and explain the situation as well as give them the round ID and approximate time, in case they need to look at logs to help educate and advise the group.

I will +1 for Katskan, solid application. Good guy in-game and out, solid answers, and would feel good with them on staff.

Iā€™m happy to see you applying as a moderator, and based on your personality, Iā€™d be glad to see you on our team!

That aside, I wish to review some of your answers here:

A golden rule of moderation is that you should not OOCly intervene with any incident that is related to you. In this case, you can definitely correct the medic in character, however, you should not be PMing them nor adminsleeping them. Instead you should file a ticket and let another staff member handle it. Either way you will be extremely busy as a medic.

For a perma sentence like this, it is very much worth investigating it OOCly, as perma sentences carry a hefty weight. You have to DM whoever set a perma sentence and see whatā€™s up with that, since taking an item from req does not constitute anything near a perma sentence.

Re-read the rules and tell me whatā€™s wrong with this response. Hint: itā€™s clearly stated.

I see some other, more minor issues here, though nothing that cannot be corrected in training.

Overall, your responses are going in the right direction, you just need a bit of correction and I believe youā€™d make a great member of the staff team.

+1, though I want to see your response to the pod situation.

In one of those cases where you look for something and it disappears, I couldnā€™t find it on my own but having been directed to it Iā€™m glad that the RP is held up and it doesnā€™t even need a warning as an acceptable RP reason for the killing under the exceptions for rule 10.

Exactly!

Hope to see you on our team!

Hello. Iā€™m sure everyone on the team knows about you and your degree of dedication to our community; to say that youā€™re here to mess around would be simply frowned upon. I appreciate that you are interested in becoming a staff member along with your additional contributions through the synthetic council.

Iā€™ve watched your gameplay and community interactions on the maincord. My takeaway is that you are willing to learn in areas you donā€™t precedence in and are willing to dedicate yourself to give more to our community. For that, Iā€™m glad to say that you pass my checks to become a trial moderator. I hope that we get to see you working with us very soon. :slight_smile:

Having sat on your application for a while without commenting, I can say you are a responsive, helpful, and responsible leader of your WL whenever I have interacted with you.

Letā€™s throw in a fun curveball question before I vote which doesnā€™t currently have a right answer but Iā€™ve seen handled both ways.

As an admin and a synth councilor, you see a synth break programming. The break itself is minor but repeated within the round at least three times. How would you handle this situation?

So it depends on the severity, if itā€™s very minor or esoteric what I would do is flip my recorder on and capture footage, then bring that to the council as a whole for discussion and voting after the round ended.

If itā€™s major, I would do the same but also DM the individual using discord that in capacity as a synthetic councilor, I am advising them to correct X behavior. Any further action would be up to the council.

If itā€™s a general server rule or is otherwise majorly disruptive to other players, I would ask a different moderator to help handle it to keep impartiality because I want those extra eyes evaluating impact on other players, and then I would give the recording to the council for handling any further repercussion.

In essence my goal is not to do things on my own, but use moderator tools in order to gather information and present that information to the council, unless thereā€™s a big issue making other people not have fun in which case I want to get help from another moderator who isnā€™t as invested or directly involved.

I like that answer. And youā€™re right in that as staff, if a WL is breaking rules in a way that is impacting the round, or arenā€™t WL rules. Or if we have prior permission from a councillor/senator to handle it IC using our tools then we may.

Nice answer shows your experience in navigating difficult situations will pay off +1

Hi there! Solid answers and excellent history in game. Iā€™m pleased to accept your application and welcome you to the team! :cookie: