What is your Discord username?

Kola5060#0284

What characters do you play on CM-SS13?

Steve ‘‘Chompa’’ Mann

Are you 16 or older?

Yes

Timezone:

GMT +3

On average, how many hours are you available to moderate in an average week?

Qualifications:

Do you have previous experience in game or community moderation?

I’ve been a mod for alotta MILSIM groups.

Provide any links to any previous CM-SS13 whitelist, mentor or staff applications:

My only other app was a mentor one (I can’t get the link).

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on CM-SS13?

Nope.

Can you actively engage and communicate with the team through Discord?

Yes.

Final Details:

Why would you like to join the CM-SS13 staff team?

Because I wanna help out the community and I’ve had great experiences with different staff members (Firecharge, Warfan, etc.)

What makes you a great addition to Staff? (Experienced Tabletop DM, Aliens Lore Buff, Super Organized, etc.?)

I love helping people out and I can work well in a group. I’ve also learned how to organize events and handle administrative tasks. I also have an understanding of what it takes to keep a server running and I am able to juggle different tasks.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality of a CM-SS13 staff member?

Being patient and working well under stress are two of the most vital qualities. Another important quality is being bias-free, you need to put aside any personal experience with a person if you are dealing with them in a report/ahelp. I also have an understanding of what it takes to keep a server running and I am able to juggle different tasks.

Anything else you want to add?

Thanks to anyone who reads and comments on my app. Any criticism is welcome.

1 Like

Bumping this for you because it’s been six days, I would like to see the input of other staff members before I offer my two cents. -/+1 from me at the moment.

In the meantime, I think it would help if you were to answer a few of these questions and give your best response. They’re copied over from the old moderator application format.

A player ahelps that a marine is named ‘John Doe’, how do you deal with this?

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won’t leave the ship, and the aliens won’t attack. What would you do, to “encourage” the sides to engage each other?

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a “dropship”. A different Xeno player ahelps that it’s low role play to call it a “dropship”.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an ‘idiot’ and a ‘retard’.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?

Heya! Thanks for the reply.
Here are my answers to the questions

• I would PM them and tell them that the name ‘John Doe’ is in violation of rule nine and that they should change their name for the next rounds, and I would ask them what they wanted to change their current name to if they dont reply or they respond with another name that violates rule nine I wold give them a normal name.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.

• I would PM them to investigate why they are carrying a rifle, maybe there’s a reason for it. If they get armed before hijack that would be in violation of rule six. If they weren’t meta-preparing then I would leave it to the MP’s and only stop the MT if they start shooting people for no reason, etc.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?

• I would PM both sides. If it turns out that the survivor was hostile outright to the marines then no notes would be placed on them. If the survivor tried being friendly but then betrayed the marines then they would get noted/banned depending on their note history

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.

• I would message both players and ask about the charges of the marine. If the MP really put the marine in perma for taking a random attachment then that would be Malicious Compliance and they would be noted/banned depending on their note history. It is possible that the marine was lying about getting put in perma for ‘‘only taking an attachment that was laying around’’.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won’t leave the ship, and the aliens won’t attack. What would you do, to “encourage” the sides to engage each other?

• I would do an ARES Bioscan to show that there are only 4 aliens and announce something that recommends they push out and kill the xenos. Maybe also a QM announcement to encourage the xenos to push out.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?

• As I am directly involved in this situation I would ahelp for another non-biased moderator to investigate the situation and note/ban the medic depending on the outcome of the investigation.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.

• That does not count as EORG as hostiles can be shot at and killed after round-end.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.

• If the marine used their fists to beat the other marine to pain-crit then that would be proper escalation. If the second player was new I would note them and inform them how escalation works. If the first marine was punched once or twice and responded with deadly force then they would be noted/banned depending on their note history

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?

• I would announce via MOOC that they need to ahelp to mutiny. If they continue to storm CIC then I would start sleeping them and applying notes/bans depending on the note history of each marine.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.

• If slurs were used then everyone who said them would get seven-day bans. If it was done IC and not targetted to anyone in particular I would warn them about it and apply a ban if someone has already had a warning about rule six.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.

• I would aheal everyone that got wounded and apply a very severe note to the perpetrator.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.

• I would PM them and see if they’re a new player, If they are then I would explain that they should stay at hive as a larva. If they were experienced and just frontlined to die then I would apply a note/ban depending on their note history.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.

• I would PM them and inform them that the above is LRP, I would note/ban them depending on their note history.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a “dropship”. A different Xeno player ahelps that it’s low role play to call it a “dropship”.

• It’s not LRP to call the shuttle a dropship as specified in rule 2. ''Xeno hivemind is an English translation of their thoughts, so words such as “hydro” or “shuttle” are acceptable.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.

• I would inform them via PM’s that the marines don’t know that xenos are groundside and apply a note/ban depending on their note history, though a ban is very unlikely.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.

• I would PM both players and investigate. If the xeno’s were nearby and there weren’t any more spots in the evac-pod then no note would be applied.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an ‘idiot’ and a ‘retard’.

• I would warn them to stop insulting me and would apply a note/ban depending on their note history. I would also inform them to make a staff report if they think they didn’t deserve the warning.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?

• Players can be hugged while SSD, this is an IC issue.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.

• I would inform said staff member that their information is incorrect and provide them with the correct information. I would then message their manager depending on the situation.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?

• I would tell them to discuss it with their managers.
1 Like

• I would PM them and tell them that the name ‘John Doe’ is in violation of rule nine and that they should change their name for the next rounds, and I would ask them what they wanted to change their current name to if they dont reply or they respond with another name that violates rule nine I wold give them a normal name.

Don’t forget that you’d also apply a note for a breach against rule nine, though this may vary depending on how new the player is. If you investigate their information and confirm that they’re not an alt, and that they have very low playtime hours, letting them know about the roleplay policy with names and leaving it off with a simple warning would probably do just fine. I try not to tarnish the record of a spanking brand new player right off the bat if I can help it, but that’s just me.

• I would message both players and ask about the charges of the marine. If the MP really put the marine in perma for taking a random attachment then that would be Malicious Compliance and they would be noted/banned depending on their note history. It is possible that the marine was lying about getting put in perma for ‘‘only taking an attachment that was laying around’’.

Should take pretty much any ahelp with a grain of salt; a proper investigation is always necessary, and I’d personally say that that especially applies to Marine Law-related issues. Overall decent answer.

• I would announce via MOOC that they need to ahelp to mutiny. If they continue to storm CIC then I would start sleeping them and applying notes/bans depending on the note history of each marine.

I’d personally send another MOOC after sleeping those involved as well if it comes to that, just because you’d be surprised: sometimes people just aren’t looking at chat and see MOOCs, but typically being admin-slept will grab someone’s attention hard enough to make them look at the chat bar because they’re wondering what’s going on.

That being said, be careful about the discipline you administer to those involved in a mutiny; sometimes a newer player can get drawn into it just because they aren’t really aware of the rulings related to mutinies and to them it just seemed like some kind of fun shipside thing was going on that they could partake in. Being able to view peoples’ playtimes is a miracle worker!

• If slurs were used then everyone who said them would get seven-day bans. If it was done IC and not targetted to anyone in particular I would warn them about it and apply a ban if someone has already had a warning about rule six.

*rule three, community expectations is for racism and bigotry-related issues

• I would aheal everyone that got wounded and apply a very severe note to the perpetrator.

This should definitely result in something worse than a note. That being said, I would personally provide a link to the forums and the means to make a ban appeal post in the provided ban log so that the next time they try to log on – if they do ever try to log on again – they’ll be able to easily understand how they can appeal without having to join the Discord server and ask, but that’s just me.

Sometimes discretion can be a key factor in these types of ordeals. Every now and again, you might genuinely have the clueless new guy who just found out how to fire a gun and immediately thought to start blasting his nearest compatriot; other times, it’s your run-of-the-mill griefer who’s just trying to get permabanned so he can never join the server again. Most of the investigative techniques related to discerning the difference comes with training, so eh.

Decent-ish answers for everything I didn’t mention, in my opinion; I’m going to remain neutral on this application for the time being and wait to see the shared thoughts of other staff members.

Thanks for answering all the questions I provided.

Heya!

So, GGs on coming here to apply! We want to get to know you a small bit! Why don’t you tell us something that you enjoy of the game! And, because I’m an eBent lover, tell us about some event that you personally enjoyed!

I love the CM community, there are some amazing people here and I have made alot of friends in this community. It’s always been fun hanging out, playing and coding with these people. There are some bad apples, but they can change.

I personally liked the MST master-chef event that was hosted by Firecharge some time ago. There was alotta fun RP with the other chefs and the food critics that were sent to review our food. It was pretty chaotic and I loved it.

One of the best events was the Sunbather events hosted by moonshanks. I liked it because there was alotta conflict with some CLF spies and dog RP : )

3 Likes

Hello, it’s been quite some time since this application has been put up. I do not believe that there are specific concerns to draw about your understanding of the community, and our server rules and regulations.

What I will draw attention to is your professionalism and interactions. I’ve seen you on the maincord for months-- you are intuitive with speaking with others and having a good time. But even with joking and memeing, you need to be able to put on a serious face when it comes to handling important matters and topics as a staff member (tickets, meetings, discussions, etc.).

How would you respond to this concern?

Sup! It is true, I do like making jokes and posting some memes on the server, as most people do. In all honesty, that’s who I am, the funny friend. I can certainly put on a more serious face and do what is required of me when needed, though.

2 Likes

While I enjoy hanging out with you in VC and playing rounds with you.

I have repeatedly noted LRP or borderline LRP behavior from you, especially in roles like MT and CE.

As Amber noted, I too question your seriousness when it is needed.

Where do you draw the line between OOC/IC RP?

How goofy can a character become before it is an issue?

and

Do you believe officers should be held to a different standard in RP, from enlisted roles?

• I draw the line between OOC and IC at internet memes, for example, Kanye Stare and big chungass (except for that one event) It’s LRP because how would the marines know who Kanye is and specifically reference a meme where he is staring at the camera in a funny way.
  • I think a character can be funny in itself, but it can’t go to a level where it wouldn’t be acceptable in the colonial marines, for example someone that is mentally ill and RPs that they can’t fire a gun and do anything other then eating cheeseburgers.
  • I do believe that because officers have been trained more and have more experience that they should RP someone with that skillset and be more mature, I don’t think they should be doing stuff that’s very illegal with out an RP reason and extremally LRP

Hi there! I know there have been times in the past where you’ve dipped into LRP in game, but I think you also have a lot of creativity and potential, and I am really hopeful that given the opportunity, you will use that creativity to create col stuff for the community in game. And so I am happy to accept your application and welcome you to the team! :cookie: