kooarbiter - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Application - kooarbiter

What is your BYOND key?

kooarbiter

What is your Discord ID?

kooarbiter

Do you usually play a specific character? If so, who?

Ezra Bass, Annie Nash, Kay ‘eyes’ Williamson

What whitelist applications have you previously completed?

Synthetic Application - Leo

Synthetic Info:

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play:

Dayton

What is your Synthetic’s Personality?

Slight southern drawl, construction worker/foreman/civil engineer affect. Dayton will occaisonally use outer colony slang as appropriate, but will reign it in a bit around officers and company executives.

How will they react to the different ranks of the USCM, what would they talk about in a one on one conversation? What are their interests? What is an advertisement logline that could be written for them?

Dayton was created as a response to blue collar workers and roughneck military personnel who get along better with a Synthetic model with a more familiar Dialect. Though every bit the thorough professional around C suite and/or Commissioned officers.

“Hey there partner, I see you’ve been filling gaps of our barricade line with plasteel barricades; they’re nearly as tough as an arcturan, but maybe we could substitute some of them with iron 'folders on the parts less likely to get hit? We can repurpose the plasteel to reinforce the high traffic areas, would be a good bit cheaper on your supplies too.”

Dayton’s interest involve civil/civic engineering, efficient foot traffic, and cost efficient construction, in the interest of company logistics.

Is your colony under siege by megafauna? are your workers tripping up over themselves just trying to pass through the mess hall lunch line? Dayton’s here to sort that muck out! For our esteemed guests and employees who need a little southern hospitality on the far reaches of the galaxy.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?

I feel somewhat limited playing either medical or engineering, and find that Staff Officer is not well suited enough to do both. Nearly every synthetic I’ve met has been interesting to RP with, or at least stands out from the leathernecks on command comms, and I’d like to join their numbers.

I am personally southern and can naturally RP a more southern character. I’m not a trucker myself, but one of my family’s friends was a lifetime trucker, and we were better off knowing her and she rubbed off on us with her affect and eccentricities. I like to think I can emulate some of her energy for this character and contrast many of the more calm and collected/upper crust type synth quirks

What is your most memorable interaction with a synthetic?

On LV once, i was singlehandedly saved from near death by a synth, I want to say Yin? She carted me halfway across the map and put up with my shenanagains while stitching me back up together in colony med, with lurkers and runners baying outside for my blood. Quite the fun cookie to hang around.

Synthetic Character Story:

A small, rodent like creature scurries through a maintenance hall, behind it, a small team of marines, along with Dayton, and a researcher chase it down, nets in hand.

“Dayton, are you sure this damn fligatoe-” Private First Class Brown shouted between huffs and puffs.

“Fligotias Rodentia, is what the colony bestiary listed it as, some kinda flying rat, supposedly as venomous as a Texas lawman, if the author’s right…” Dayton replies, cool as a cucumber despite a heavy coating of steam on his face and what must have been 20 minutes of non stop running now.

“Whatever, this rat thing, are you sure we can’t just shoot it? I’m not afraid of a little exercise, but even I get tired of running eventually, and all these steam pipes aren’t helping.” PFC Brown spits out. A side voice, coming from researcher Mallard, appearing no less exhausted than the marine behind him reports, “Dayton is right, this thing has somehow broken out of containment and I’d like to get it under wraps before it bites someone and I get two infractions on my record…”

“Unfortunately, no PFC, this thing’s glands contain a venom that works like a neuro toxin, we can’t risk shooting it and getting the air coated in the stuff, we’d be stuck in sickbay for a month…well, you would anyways.” Dayton replied, checking down at his motion tracker and following the signals as they moved and shifted through an unending series of corridors and side rooms.

After a moment of hesitation from Dayton, stopping just short of a narrow gap in the floor, a pipe jutting from the wall rests inches from his forehead, as he watches the creature scurry away and out of sight. The others catch a moment of breathing, and before one can speak the creature re emerges, jumping out of a vent on the ceiling, and catching the researcher on the face, scratching at him and nearly puncturing his eye. Before panic can set in, Dayton inches up in front of the researcher while the pair of organisms are distracted, and lightly plucks the creature off of him without ceremony. The creature is netted, and caged, and brought to research for study, the creature capturing cohort seemingly none the worse for wear.

“Yes sir” Dayton speaks, torn between the conversation on the phone and the researcher messing with the gauze held to his eye. “No, the creature was recaptured with little incident, no biohazardous cleanup required sir, just a few small scratches on Doctor Mallard, but we’re all otherwise okay.” A few more tongue lashings directed vaguely at the researcher pass, before the Chief Medical Officer gives up and moves on to something else, the radio no longer crackling in everyone’s ears.

Skills:

Engineering:

Very, I can construct a complex defense network, I can set up every emplacement the marines commonly use, and swiftly prioritise repairs during an assault. Back when engine setup was required, I did it often without incident, along with the SMES system. I can outfit both dropships efficiently, and set OB/AA, only needing to ask command their preference.

Command:

Proficient. I can handle overwatch, calling in supply drops and orbital barrages. I can organize an assault or defense, although I struggle leading marines on a flank. I’m very talkative in command roles, and i strive to make sure everyone knows what the team is doing at any one time. I like to think I am also a very good ASO, although you’d have to ask my subordinates that.

Medical:

Very, I can perform nearly every surgery with very little if any wiki reference, I can mix together all of the neccesary chem mixes without incident, I can heal and triage on the ground, and assist medical in sorting patients when needed. I enjoy setting up my loadout as medic/Doctor and I miss the old forum thread where people shared theirs.

Requisitions:

Proficient. I can handle req line very well, and I can interpret what supplies are needed on the ground when, along with the expected requests shipside. Some people have criticized me for being strict on not giving out two restricted weapon systems (HPR/m56d/m2c/etc.) to one marine without compelling reason though. I can fill boxes efficiently and scavenge what I need from prep and the ship to order.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.

When you or a USCM personnel are under direct and immediate threat from a hostile belonging to a hostile organization IE CLF and UPP, or an alien lifeform such as yautja or xenomorph.

Colony Synths are permitted if aligned to defend themselves, the colony survivors, and colony infrastructure/critical equipment from imminent danger.

During Hijack, synthetics are permitted a greater range of allowance for defense of themselves and other USCM personnel.

Synths are not expected to perform any combat on the frontlines, and if the above criteria are not met, they are required to flee from threats, and otherwise ensure their own self preservation.

Final Info:

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?

No

Are you currently banned from our Discord?

No

Let us know why you were discord banned.

I wasn’t

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?

Please let me know if it seems like my synth’s southern drawl becomes borderline too much, I don’t intend to have it change the way I pronounce words, or throw slang in very often, but it’s not always obvious from an inside perspective. I’m also not very robust with regular combat, so I will probably not fight if at all possible.

I’ve been familiar with kooarbiter for years, going back to Yogstation days. I have a strong trust in him and he also has an excellent application here.

1 Like

Kinda stumped on how to get any more engagement with this post. I’ve tried to up my recognition in the community this past week, but a hundred thirty people watched my app and said nothing, no “this was good, kooarbiter is a shit community member, xyz constructive critisism” etc.

I really don’t know where to go with this app, I don’t want the reason I was denied because I wasn’t popular enough but at this rate it sure feels like it.

1 Like

I guess I can drop an opinion and offer some advice about your application seeing as how you’re kinda stumped and I feel bad for ya. I feel like I’ve looked over the name Ezra Bass or maybe Kay ‘eyes’ Williamson in the crew manifest before and seen you but that’s about the extent of my memory in interactions with your characters so I can’t really leave a comment on what I think of you personally. All I can do is offer some advice on the whitelist application process and community interaction.

How many people have you actually talked to about this application before posting it? Have you asked any synths or synth councillors to review it and give their thoughts on it? What about just asking any whitelisted player’s opinion about your support skills? Sure you might know everything inside and out but that’s not the point, it’s about getting your name into other people’s brain where they go “ya kooarbiter is good marine support player, would be a decent synth im sure”

You didn’t post your play times but looking back at your post history you applied for Mentor and posted some hours there. Now I understand that you’ve been playing CM for a very long time just not consistently but quite frankly the playing hour reset is kinda getting to the point of it’s old news and no one really cares how many hours you once had, they wanna see you actually playing and doing well in the modern day. Also based on your playing hours posted the bulk of them are in combat roles (Rifleman/FTL/Spec) with combat medic/engineering up next which is good. But how much support role have you played since? People will remember you if you perform FOB surgery quickly/properly as a doctor, run the entirety of requisitions without a hitch as a lone CT/QM or observe you creating a master fortification of the LZ as the CE or combat engineer.

I don’t normally ever comment on the actual application writing itself because that’s more of a councillors job/thing and I believe the story to be the least important aspect of the application. However I gotta say this is kinda low effort and leads me to believe you did not talk to many people about this application before posting it up. I mean just look at the last couple synth applications to get accepted compared to this one.

Keep the application up and play nothing but support roles the entire time, try and be more active. Even if this gets denied you will still get very valuable feedback from the council itself, not only on the application but your in game roleplay and overall perceived abilities.

thank you for the input, I really appreciate it. I did not talk to many of the synth council before applying, I didn’t think to do so and I admit I really should have.

I have been playing nothing but engineering/medical/req for the past week to try and get more eyes on my support skills, but I get that it’s not always obvious to tell without seeing it first hand. As for my previous application, I get understand people wouldn’t take me at my word about the playtime, if I had applied for synth way back when I was a medic main I think it wouldn’t have been as big of an issue.

I can personally attest to my ability to quickly and efficiently do both engineering and medical work, although without constantly bragging about it or getting medals for it, I’m not sure how to make that recognizable. For example, I created a custom chem mix that has had multiple competent CMO players sign off on it (after personally testing it myself), but as far as I know it has not seen widespread adoption or recognition.

I personally feel a lot of this comes down to not being really memorable, and aside from making an outlandish character who loudly brags about singlehandedly saving fob or doing 5 surgeries at once, it seems an insurmountable challenge. I have spent time both in forums and on the discord trying to get my name out there, but It’s not something in my control, or anything I can really make happen, to no end of frustration.

I wouldn’t agree with an assessment of my application being low effort, both this and the last application I’ve spent about a day fleshing out the character and dusting off my range of knowledge, and refreshed the application daily for responses. Synthetic as a role seems to have a disproportionate amount of required input for the impact it tends to have on the round (being as skilled as CMO/CE, sometimes having input during events, sometimes leading survivor teams, etc.) I believe I have put in more than enough effort in not only this application, but in trying to improve myself to justify consideration for this role.

Again though, thank you for responding with your own critisisms, not many people seem to have the time of day to do more than glance over my application, and I thank you for lending me some of your day Dross.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the thing, you could be the most skilled combat medic/engineer on the server and if no one notices you, kinda doesn’t matter for your whitelist application. The good news about that aspect is that the council does a great job of being discrete and thorough when they observe and inspect your skills. If you scroll through the synth applications that have been accepted, some of them have very low community interaction; but based on their application effort, answers to questions and in-game observations of their skills and roleplay the council determined they are good enough to uphold the whitelist.

Synthetic whitelist in my opinion has the strictest rules, very robust council and hardest challenge of obtaining due to required mechanical knowledge. However if your skills and roleplay are there, if you know how to properly set up cades, perform surgery/chem line quickly, handle requisitions without issue and understand basic command/law then you’re honestly good to go. It all comes down to being consistently active and getting people to vouch for you that acknowledge your support abilities ingame.

I shouldn’t of said the application was low effort sorry, not entirely sure how to put it properly. I’m sure you’ll get much better feedback about it all eventually. Without a doubt synthetic requires the most amount of work/input for the role you actually unlock compared to CO or Predator but it’s honestly what makes the whitelist so great. Not every CO or Pred is a great high level roleplayer or even a good player in general, but it’s very rare to ever run into a synth that doesn’t know what they were doing and didn’t have good roleplay.

For sure try and talk to more people, the council itself and whitelisted players about support play and synth in general. Anyone applying for any of the whitelists and not messaging the entire council with a intro message and a request for advice/help is just kinda not taking advantage of resources laid out for them. Also support mains will recognize support players, if you’re active and skilled it’s straight up impossible to not get noticed eventually - actions really do speak louder than words a lot of the time. I’m sure if you applied when you were super active as a squad medic you’d of gotten some support by now.

Anyways sorry for typing so much lol I really hope some small bit helped at least. Best of luck and I’ll keep an eye out for you on the server and I am sure others will be observing you without your knowledge as well.

1 Like

I haven’t seen you but I’ve also not played a lot recently anyway, so it’s whatever. I did want to drop in and say to not get discouraged by no feedback - I think my application literally had 2 people post feedback, one of which was a buddy of mine, so don’t sweat it

2 Likes

Anna Bow is a great Role player. +1. Long time member of the community. Full faith and confidence.

3 Likes

I’m surprised anyone remembers that character, I haven’t played ana in like a year

Slight southern drawl, construction worker/foreman/civil engineer affect. Dayton will occaisonally use outer colony slang as appropriate, but will reign it in a bit around officers and company executives.

I like the idea of a southern quirk, as it is interesting. My only concern, however, would be that I would almost have to work myself to hear you speak in a southern accent. While there are differences in the words you speak and the way you put sentences together, it can very easily seem like anyone just talking normally unless I actively remind myself you’re supposed to be a southerner.

I read the story and the dialogue just didn’t feel unique to me. I think you should really consider how exactly you can talk to emphasize your southern accent.

Why pardner, I do rightly reckon that it does appear to me to be that yer way o’ lip smacking aughnt’t’a work rightly well ter give tah me tha sense o’ the south. Give yerself a momen’ o’ considermation an’ use yer noggin’ ter come ah with summat I can rea’y get.

This is an overkill example, as it is almost hard to read, but I hope it helps convey the point. I’m not listening to you, I’m reading you.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember seeing Ezra Bass around quite often for a period of time (I seem to associate it with MP) but I sadly haven’t really seen you around consistently since. I don’t know if it’s a timezone issue, but I suppose getting more recent playtime wouldn’t hurt. I don’t disbelieve that you’re not proficient in engineering/medical/ML etc, but yeah- I think the same problem from your mentor application (lack of recent playtime & engagement) is still present here.

As for the southern drawl, I think it’s fine, but I do wonder if it might be hard to distinctively be ‘southern’ in the pressure cooker that is groundside synth gameplay.

I think the main thing you need to concentrate on is playing more, and making yourself memorable. The story might also be on the short side imo, which does limit how much you can express yourself.
Sorry if I was just basically repeating what others said.

Best of luck with your application!

hey, thanks for the feedback

The guidelines said to avoid heavy accents, and I wanted to avoid turning Dayton into too much of a gimmick accent, as being southern theme is only a part of his quirk. I think it might also be a little too difficult to add specific word abbreviations mid combat and didn’t want it to cause any confusion in game as to what I was saying during critical moments, but I could lean into it a little more during calmer moments.

Thanks for your feedback

I haven’t played ezra as an MP, might be remembering my old MP character Ana Bow?

As for the community recognition, I have a hard time standing out personally, I don’t give ezra an accent because he’s a normal texan man that doesn’t want to be called a yokel, and I suppose the name doesn’t jump out either. I’ve thought about giving him a nickname that’s more memorable but I haven’t decided yet.

For playtime, I do recognize that I need more of it, but I would be happy to have any support related questions to show my level of compentency.