What is your Discord username?
BR15#4374

What characters do you play on CM-SS13?
Mason Spike

Are you 16 or older?
Yes

Timezone:
BRT

On average, how many hours are you available to moderate in an average week?
10 to 15 hours per week, depending on the season.

Qualifications:

Do you have previous experience in game or community moderation?
Negative.

Provide any links to any previous CM-SS13 whitelist, mentor or staff applications:
My old mentor application:

https://cm-ss13.com/forums/showthread.php?8383-LCMS1-Mentor-Application&highlight=LCMS1

A failed synthetic application:

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on CM-SS13?
Yes, because of a case of “”“griefing”“”, which I still don’t exactly understand the reason for. The ban happened a long time ago, years already if I recall, so I don’t believe that it may have any influence on this application.

Can you actively engage and communicate with the team through Discord?
I will be happy to communicate with them, but certainly it will depend on them if they want to properly communicate or not.

Final Details:

Why would you like to join the CM-SS13 staff team?
Have a while that I’ve been noticing that the staff team is currently lacking enough personnel to effectively apply the rules properly and when the time requires, as sometimes even medium/high pop game matches (130 to 140 player pop) don’t have a single administrator or moderator to…patrol. Because of that (And because that moonshanks politely invited me to apply for the role), I would be happy to volunteer my…workforce to auxiliate with the handling of the server.

What makes you a great addition to Staff? (Experienced Tabletop DM, Aliens Lore Buff, Super Organized, etc.?)
…Im going to be honest, I don’t usually like to…rank myself with characteristics that I think I have, and I usually like to hear the opinion of others around me about it, so…I may share part of my mentor schedule for you to make the necessary analysis. I used well my timer as mentor (which was not my choice for leaving), staying with new players from one to two hours, monologuing and explaining them all they needed to effectively proceed with their roles, and I was really fond of doing it, first for liking it, but later as a duty because, after all, the newbies weren’t going to be teached alone. I helped all types of people, from the most slow ones, to the fastest learning ones, which in fact were so intelligent that my usual training procedure was too basic too them. Every recruit would receive with me a full detail on their current RP context, the basic controlling keys and stuff (for the newest), training on where they preps were, why food should be eaten and where they can achieve it, training on a a basic “gunnery kit” that I planned, and which I used from the beginning to the end, first-aid procedures, a tour along the whole ship and a little tactics class if there were time, only after all that they would be deployed.And I bet that none of them died of gameplay imcopetence (at least from their part). Being that the basic training on itself, medical and engineering would receive more complex ones, and I would go through them to the end, until the recruit had ingested every piece of information given.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality of a CM-SS13 staff member?
I would say that, apart from patience (How cliché isn’t it?), a…member of staff need to know when to be harsh and when to be light. Like a magistrate, he is the balance of justice and a neutral personality, he needs to be cohesive, and need to keep a wide view of the whole situation to understand how his…policing will end affecting how everything else will run. After all, the dance need to follow the orchestra, and not the other way around.

Anything else you want to add?
I would like to say that I wouldn’t be doing this application if the twenty questions that I didn’t had time to go through as it involved very specific cases remained, And I do think that they were probably not a real representation of how a staff member would actually proceed at all.

2 Likes

Sure is a lot of comments on this application!

Anyways, I know you stated you didn’t like questions but patients and the ability to get through difficult things is a part of being a staff member. Please answer these questions to the best of your ability!

1. A Pvt marine just woke up and started getting geared up, when they first grabbed a gun they started shooting everyone in sight, what would you do?

2. A medic starts overdosing everyone on Bicardine in the FOB and a marine shoots them to death, what would you do?

3. An MP at round start arrested 4 marines in the briefing hall and started a brig-wide riot ending in the MP being killed by a marine and the 4 arrested marines go groundside, what do you do?

4. Two staff members start arguing about a ruling and which one is correct, they eventually start saying inappropriate things in msay, what do you do?

5. A marine with no clothes on starts wandering around the ship and looks like they have no clue what they are doing, what do you do about it?

I was already starting to feel lonely, Firecharge. But well, lets get to the questions already:

1. Well, I believe the best way to prevent further damage would be sleeping the player, making possible for me to estabilish a conversation with him and to gather any necessary notes. I would focus on asking the player why he did such actions and would base my veredict on how new or old the player is. If the player affirms that he thought something in the lines of: “I thought this game was a individual deathmatch where you need to kill everyone or they will kill you” I would advice him on how the game actually works, would ask to read the rules properly and all, always keeping a good noting of how everything happened. Depending on how aggressive or unresponsive the player is, I would apply a certain amount of suspension. If the player is well-understanding and new, I would give only one day of suspension, if the player is older or simply not cooperating with my attempts of communication, I would give more days accordingly.

2. First of all I would ping the medic to understand the causes and see if what he did was malicious, or simply a silly mistake, using as a rule of thumb the same method mentioned above, older and more experienced the player is, higher the justification bar. Before getting a verdict, I would also ping the marine who shot said medic to understand which was his perspective and, while his action could be interpreted as break of escalation, I understand that what he did was only made to try on stopping a case that, on his mind, could be griefing, and because of that I would advice him to don’t do the same in the future and to try less lethal methods, but would consider enoughly justified (depending on what really happened), but I would still take notes of both players.

3. Well, I would just like to comment that a single MP being able to arrest four marines completely by himself in the start of the round is very impressive. Given the “rule of thumb” methods presented in the answers above, I would firstly turn myself to the MP to understand the reason for said arrest and what was the whole context of the scene he was in. If the MP actions were justifiable and properly fit to the modus operandi of the ML and SOP, I would then turn myself to the escapists to understand their reasons and why they killed the MP (At this point it could be a lot of situations, they maybe tried to run and the MP tried to shoot them lethally, or maybe they just broke out of their cuffs, took one of the guns storaged in an open prison locker and shoot the MP point-blank), depending on the situation I would act accordingly, taking enough time to make a verdict.

4. I would focus on calming the both parts down, using of the reason that the universe was gaven me. Putting the finger on the face of one of the parts to tell that they are wrong and who they are arguing is correct wouldn’t help on anything than putting more fuel in the fire. I would first try on calming them down, if I failed, I would as last resort ask them to don’t use the msay for such conversations, and would ask for them to go talk in somewhere more private.

5. I would firstly try on contacting the mentors over the msay chat or even sending a direct message to the SEA of the round, if none of those options were available, I would try on helping the recruit in the best of my capabilities, but would still take more focus on the moderating duties. If he is too lost, I would ping him to give him any necessary directions, and would send him the links of our website page, where he could read more about basic instructions and other important guidelines.

Observation: Usually I don’t like questions, not because I don’t have patience, but because I take too long to write everything I want down (I wrote this response in a period of two days, and in the older forum any progress wasn’t saved, so I had to do everything from the beginning if I didn’t end it in one day).

1 Like

Easy +1

Active contributor to the game and good answers. Hope to see you soon!

Satisfactory responses.

A couple things to note however;

In #2 dont forget there are recent changes to how IB work and Bicardine does not fix IB anymore so this could just be confusion if they do not know about the new suture kits. Otherwise good answer.

In #3 there is rulings on there having to be a MP on duty in brig when there is prisoners’. Unless there are extremely cooperative prisoners’, its almost impossible to bring all 4 at the same time meaning that at some point there is un-attended prisoners’. There are also rulings on going groundside and to the front to specifically evade arrest. Lastly there is pretty much no reason at all there should be lethals or riot equipment being used in this situation except a flashbang if the MP is being mobbed by marines. All MP equipment is non-lethal and doesn’t count towards escalation so anyone who shot the MP will pretty much always break Improper Escalation.

lastly in #4 if things get heated- don’t forget you are more than welcome to ask for assistance from management/heads to mediate the situation.

I give this application a +1

Honestly, Mason Spike is a good applicant all around. I’ve known him for almost the entire time since I started getting invested into CM. I absolutely vouch for his server knowledge, dedication, and his community behavior. He’s one of the best players on the server, in my opinion. I would love to be able to work with Spike :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there! I think you handled questions well, and I have seen your patience and scope of knowledge in the past when you’ve assisted people as mentor. I’m please to accept your application and welcome you to the team!

Please be sure to have Discord DMs open, I’ll reach out to you shortly to get you set up.