Lesser drones nerf

god, once I was a CLF and trying to escape to the ERT drop ship while wounded.

I pass the alamo and 4 lessers pop out and kill me

lessers were a good idea ruined by bad actors

1 Like

Maybe don’t walk past the hive if you don’t want to get murdered?

I would totally agree it was my fault if a xeno was at the hive and attacked me, but the fact that a bunch of ghosts saw what I was doing and went lesser is blatant metagaming.

2 Likes

I will say, devs seem to go in the direction of “if you are on weeds, the hive can notice you”. So if you go either next to weeds or on weeds I wouldn’t call it metagaming.

Never knew weeds had a brain. It’s still metagaming if you spawn as a lesser drone and go into NE caves when hive is in west caves after spectating scout who is in NE caves.

Better idea yet allow people to deny being spectated by ghosts in preferences ( if turned on ghosts can’t Ctrl click you and spectate you, would be nice to just be invisible but yeah)

1 Like

Metagaming or Metacommunication
“nerf” this rule breaking exploit first

The problem is it can sometimes be really hard to tell if a lesser just randomly happens to find you or if they metagamed you. I’ve been accused of UAVing by marines in looc when all I did was go to the nearest tunnel to the front and they just happened to be nearby. From the marine perspective any lesser finding them looks like a UAV.
The ghost changes would fix it but damn it will be really sad to lose access to dead chat and spectating as both marine and xeno just for the sake of nerfing lesser drones. I love being able to watch when an OB is blowing up the front or some wacky shipside shenanigans are happening or preds are bullying people or whatever other funny stuff can happen in a round. And being able to chat in dead chat is nice too. I know you’ll still be able to access it if you perma and/or disable xeno spawning but it’s still kinda sad.

From the less paranoid marine’s perspective, any UAV will usually look like a lesser finding them.

i dont even know why the fix has to be “complicated”
Just make it so that lesser drones dont give death prompts with location and have their cooldowns increased to 300 seconds so they dont play it like a frontline role.

Also people seem to forget that lesser drones can pick up huggers and waste them more than facehugger players. So this reasoning doesnt make any sense too.

2 Likes

A cool option could be you need to feed the core a bursted corpse like the morpher to allow a lesser to spawn.

2 Likes

There was conversation somewhere about only letting people spawn as lesser if they opt into joining the hive, and from then on their vision in ghost is limited to weeds and xenos only.

1 Like

Its metagaming but legal cause the weeds can see the person
looks like a moderation investigation nightmare lol. Just spam weeds everywhere and you can use it as defense against metagaming someone.

1 Like

I mean at that point its game mechanic and not meta’ing since the restrictions are defined (walking on weeds puts you at threat of a lesser hunting you)

The majority of shit I see lesser drones do at this point is run in and suicide to attempt some damage or causing marines to FF, in fact, that’s been at least half of the times I’ve been FF’d since they were added. Beyond the fact that the metarushing is so blatantly obvious sometimes that it’s a no brainer. They either need to be tweaked or removed entirely

2 Likes

Watch Aliens (1986) for the reference material

Yeah but it doesn’t matter if it leads to the same problem. UAV ghosts can ruin your flank by calling it out, but at least you can assume most players play in good faith and won’t do that, so you still kinda can risk it.

With it being a legitimate mechanic, your dreams of flanking will come to an end, because there will always be a dozen of hive ghosts patrolling all entrances (and they won’t have anything else of use to do).

So like, the situation becomes worse, not better. It’s like legalising homicide to improve crime statistics: statistics will be better, but it won’t solve the actual problem.

4 Likes

maybe if someone made building as a lesser more bearable they wouldn’t resort to suiciding constantly (giving someone a frac is more fun than waiting 20 seconds to build 3 doors)

1 Like

squints at a free spawn xeno yeah, the fact yall can build at all is astounding. also the feller who made lessers runs the TDM PVE - while I agree that CM is TDM no matter what staff says, free spawns only enforce my opinion

Then why would there even exist base strain drone in the first place? To exclusively spam sticky resin with a small niche of a plasma station worker for boiler? The main thing that base strain drone has is T1 building caste.

i have no idea where you pulled out the idea that we should buff lesser building to be equal to drones. i’m only saying that if we want to encourage lessers to do something else than suicide runs into the marine line, that we should make building more enjoyable for them because it’s the only other thing they can do

like first of all you need to wait 25 seconds to regenerate 300 plasma which is your cap. regular drones need to wait 22 to regenerate 1000 plasma. but they will do it much faster because they have access to medium pheros while you only have weak ones. 300 plasma doesn’t even equate to 2 walls because they each cost 120. you’re not building much and you’re doing it at a very slow rate. none of these things need to be equal to the drone (because yeah, they’re infinite and free) but they could use a tune-up of some sorts.

why wait almost half a minute to build 3 walls when it’s much more fun to run into a mob of marines and cause them to light each other up?

ideally someone would have a better vision for how lessers are supposed to function because i recall the original vision for them didn’t have them be suicide hordes, but something more akin to maintainers of the hive (someone please fact check me on this since it’s been a while since the idea of them came around)

4 Likes