Vyzo#6239

Who is your CM character?

Tom “Buck” Buckley

Are you 16 or older?

Yes

Timezone:

GMT + 3

Qualifications:

On average, how many hours are you available to moderate?

6 per day on average not considering exam season or heavy workload days

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?

World Server - (Trial) Staff
Foundation 19 - Trial Mod
Icefuse MRP - Senior Moderator
Elevated gaming Network (EgN) - Community Staff
EgN CS:S JB/MG - In-Game Admin
EgN TTT Server - Joint Management

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?

Formerly: Fulp/SCP13/World

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you’ve made:

N/A

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?

No

Have you ever been made for more than 24 hours on CM-SS13?

No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on any SS13 server?

No

Are you familiar with Discord?

Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?

Yes

Common Situations:

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.

Bwoink the player to understand why they shot that person, and if there was proper escalation then let it play out ICly. Otherwise, note and warn the player while letting out play ICly. After that keep an eye on the player to ensure they’re following the rules.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?

Inform them that White List violations are handled by the Whitelist Council and not moderation. Direct them to the forums to where they can make a complaint.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.

Check if there is any of the following available in the respective order: In-Game SEA, Mentor, Moderator+. If one of the aforementioned are available then ask them to help the new player out as a SEA, otherwise join in a marine (assuming I cannot be SEA) and help the player out myself.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member

Inform them that they are in violation of Rule 3 and ask them to stop their behavior. If they fail to stop then escalate to a note and temporary ban while consulting an Admin+.

A player ahelps that a marine is named ‘John Doe’, how do you deal with this?

Bwoink the player and explain to them that their name is in violation of Rule 9 and proceed to guide them to change their name in “Edit Character” for future rounds, while using variables to change their name for the current round. Check on them next round to ensure they’re compliant.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point

This is a violation of ML/SOP and therefore should not require staff interference.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?

First determine if the Survivor spawned as a UPP/CLF survivor, if not then bwoink the survivor informing them that Survivors may no longer be hostile unless they spawn as hostile towards the USCM. Note the survivor in case of future behavior, and rejuvenate the Marine. Let the proceed ICly.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.

Check logs and bwoink the MP to get their part of the story while asking the marine for their full part of the story. If the MP is in violation the warn and note them for a Rule 2/11 violation.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won’t leave the ship, and the aliens won’t attack. What would you do, to “encourage” the sides to engage each other?

Utilize faxes to order the marines to redeploy and that reinforcements will arrive once they secure the planet, to encourage them to push the xenos.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.

Since the CLF & USCM are naturally rival factions, inform the CLF member that EORG only applies to allied factions.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.

Warn and note the marine for a Rule 2 violation.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.

Inform the other Marine that he needs to follow proper escalation procedures. Note him for a Rule 10 violation and let the rest play out ICly.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?*

Jump to the mutineers via ghost and inform them via LOOC that they need admin permission before they mutiny, if they continue to proceed then use MOOC to inform them. If they still proceed then admin sleep them and bwoink them telling them they need to follow mutiny procedures.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it

Warn and note all those that have stated racist comments and inform them that this community does not permit or condone racist comments even if their minor.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.

Issue a ban in case they come back and file a request for a permanent ban. Rejuvenate all marines that were killed or injured.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.

Bwoink them to figure out why they took such action. If their actions were intentional then note them for a Rule 2/4 violation.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen

Warn and note the player for a Rule 2 violation. Inform them that IC netspeak is against the rules.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a “dropship”. A different Xeno player ahelps that it’s low role play to call it a “dropship”.

Inform the reporting Xeno that the hivemind is a translation of the Xeno’s thoughts in English and therefore it is not a rule violation.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.

Bwoink the player inquiring to how he got this information while checking logs, if they did not receive it via a fax or other appropriate means than remind them that they do not know what they’ll be facing when they go down there. Note for a Rule 2 violation.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.

This falls under Rule 10 - Exceptional Circumstance, whereby the Marine is trying to save his own life therefore it is not a rule violation and no staff interference is needed.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an ‘idiot’ and a ‘retard’.

Ask another online staff member to handle it, if none are available then bwoink or ask the player via LOOC/dchat to file a staff report via the forums. If they fail to do that then issue a temporary ban for a Rule 3 violation.

While it is important that there be understanding that they might be upset, it does not give anyone the right to insult another person and they’ll have to toe the line.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?

Inform the player that is an IC issue as no rules were broken.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.

Link them the correct segments via admin chat, if they start arguing than detach myself from the argument and CoC it to management.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?

Stay out of it and CoC it to a Senior Admin or Management.

Final Details:

Why would you like to become a moderator?

I’d like to be more involved and help make the community for enjoyable and welcoming.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?

Patience & Understanding

Anything else you want to add?

N/A

1 Like

Hi! I got a few questions for you:

1. What do you believe the absolute end-goal of moderation on a server like CM is?

2. Do you have any event ideas in mind that you’d want to see come true if you are accepted?

3. If you’re accepted - you will unfortunately be faced with inevitable toxicity as a result of some of the actions you take. What is your view on this? How do you deal with said toxicity?

Hi! I got a few questions for you:

1. What do you believe the absolute end-goal of moderation on a server like CM is?

2. Do you have any event ideas in mind that you’d want to see come true if you are accepted?

3. If you’re accepted - you will unfortunately be faced with inevitable toxicity as a result of some of the actions you take. What is your view on this? How do you deal with said toxicity?

Heyo!

1. To resolve any issues that arise between players and to promote an enjoyable gaming environment with accept roleplay standards with minimal interference from staff.

2. My idea of events is they’re storyline-based, whereby the outcome of the event will influence the next event. However, the roles are dynamic based on the players in-game and each significant action would influence the outcome of the storyline. And just to ensure fun & balance there should be a meta set of points and representatives for the involved sides.

3. Toxicity is never acceptable, it breeds a hostile environment of hate, distrust and (social) problems amongst other things. My initial response would be to ignore the toxic behavior that is targeted towards me, however if it continues undeterred then administrative action should be taken (preferably by another staff member).

Generally good responses across the board here and your history is clean - a good start.

I’ve seen your character a few times albeit I had no direct interaction with you so that’s that.

Moreover, you have a decent history with being a staff member in different communities, and I’m sure that you won’t have any difficulties as a staff member here either.

Hereby, I’d love to see you accepted!

+1

I’ve seen your character name here and there; not particularly acquainted with you, to be honest.

For “A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him,” you would definitely PM the person who was shot as well and ask if they had any kind of interaction with the shooter prior to being shot. That’s my two cents, anyway. Depending on the circumstances, I might even PM the arresting MP just to see if they have any additional input that could be of use in the investigation.

“A player ahelps that a marine is named ‘John Doe’, how do you deal with this?” || How would you escalate the discipline if the name was still not compliant in the next round?

“Check logs and bwoink the MP to get their part of the story while asking the marine for their full part of the story. If the MP is in violation the warn and note them for a Rule 2/11 violation.” || I’m probably stretching with this and I feel like you know this anyway, but make sure to check the MP’s notes to see if this sort of thing has happened with them before involving MP roles. If it’s habitual behavior, I’d ask a higher staff member for their input but would otherwise issue a job ban if it seems like a serious problem.

“A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.” || It will come with training, but I’d personally advise to check these types of offenders for alt accounts; you’ll learn how to do that, assuming this application is accepted (then again, you’ve been staff on other spaceman servers and probably already know how that jazz works).

Aside from my nitpicks, answers are solid; you seem like you would know what you’re doing whilst filling the shoes of a staff member role to me. +1

Heyya! Thank you for your application, and for your patience during review! Everything looks good to go, and I’m pleased to welcome you to the team!

Please be sure to have your DMs open, as that’s how I’ll be contacting you to get you set up with perms.