New (Admin enabled exclusive) Game mode: Green Shift

The crew of the USS Almayer wake up in orbit over (insert map here), the patrol is going fine, there are no unattended distress signals and no heads for the marines to rip off.

Groundside the colonist go about their day, all equipment is in working order, all departments are staffed and equipped as they should be and can attend to their duties without trouble. There are no bodies laying in the hallways ripped in half, no entrails leading to some maintenance tunnel, no strange creatures crawling through vents.

This game mode exist exclusively to allow for the admins to create events without trouble, almost like a sandbox. All the maps are cleaned up, the doors are given their proper access codes to prevent some civilian getting where he shouldn’t be (armory), all departments are equipped with their proper appliances so that they may go about their duties as they would regularly. It is a total blank slate for the admins to work with, they can do an event where you play as the colonist during the beginning of the infestation, or the marines going to put down a rebellion, or HVH (dreadful) without all the time needed to clean up the map shaving off the 40min prep time and immersing you more.

As stated it can only be enabled by admins and when done it allows the standard selection of maps only difference being they have no traces of xenomorph infestation.

Now the big flaws in this are pretty obvious from the outset, you have to duplicate every single map meaning more space being used, Solaris alone is 1.06 MB and only shrinks to 850kb when cleaned up. Not to mention the colonist need to be changed up a little bit so that they can spawn with the proper ID cards when admins spawn them in as freed mobs or ERT.

But other than that I think this could help quite a bit with the quality of events, which in my opinion are a very important aspect of CM.

2 Likes

Extended but with a different name

4 Likes

Give or take, however extended doesn’t have clean maps for muh RP and faster event prep time.

1 Like

This already exists if staff want to run it: it’s called the extended game mode and staff are free to request to run this as a major event.

2 Likes

can we get extended but it be greenshift

2 Likes

OK… i think what is going on here is they want the name to be changed for or make it an option to vote on after a few rounds… i for one would not mind as the ones the would benefit would be the Marine team… Especially after bad rounds where the marines get HARD Stomped. Player Morale is a thing and i have seen MASS player count drop after some bad rounds. i can also help the Admins catch a bit of a break from time to time

1 Like

Can we just play the TDM?

7 Likes

what if we all stood around and talked about being a marine instead

1 Like

you guys are so mean im going to cry

1 Like

CM but the marines spend 3 hours repairing a colony and fixing a broken communication array. Basically, what the Marines are actually expecting to happen.

2 Likes

CM but the marines declare all civilians communists/terrorists/benoagents and spend the next three hours commiting crimes against humanity.
(also, I don’t think additional ten megabytes of hard disk space used are a big flaw nowadays)

1 Like

Colony event has happened. It went well.