Newest change - Deltard

Yeah sure if you feel the need to use offensive slurs constantly against the groups they’re aimed at, you should take a step back from the game. But if you PB someone and they call you a r*tard for doing it and you get offended, maybe take a step back as well and realise it truly means little for your actual life.

I don’t think I’ve ever felt the need to yell slurs at someone in CM since I’m not unhinged. But goddamn making anything that might offend someone a bannable term is stupid.

11 Likes

Forest l, I understand and recognize you have been in this community for a long time. However, responses like this lead me to the conclusion you are incredibly detached from this community. This is one of the most bureaucratic statements I have the displeasure of reading. And I work in the legal field.

Full context. My great well very great Grand father General Hugh Mercer gave his life for the founding of the United States of America at the Battle of Trenton. His descendant was my grandfather who graduated VMI who would have gladly killed communist assholes along side Sargent Reckless the god damn horse. But the war ended. He was the greatest grandfather a kid could ask for. I dream to one day be as good as him.

On my father’s side I have blood of patriots in me. Family immigrated from France in 1853. My great grand pa, born 1899, youngest of 12. Served his country at 17 and kicked the asses of the imperial German army. Went on to marry his sweetheart who worked as a cook at the local high school. He would be an electrician.

My grand pa, the mad bastard, would volunteer for the army air core, giving up a chance to play for one of the minor league teams for the Yankees. He kicked the ass of the imperial Japanese navy until he was shot down and crash landed on a small island. Losing his 4 front teeth in the process. Everyone thought he was dead. The mad lad survived to surprise my grandma when he returned home.

To make a long story very short, I have very little patience for bureaucracy.

I am offending no one by calling my self Deltard. This is insanity.

20 Likes

@DukeofCagliostro :speaking_head: :speaking_head: :speaking_head:

8 Likes

i aint reading allat but true!

7 Likes

Why stop with deltard? Why not ban calling preds “Jamaicans” because someone may feel it’s a racist sterotype?

And no, this is in ZERO way comparable to the word “xigga”. I wasn’t even around for that but to say that those are at all comparable is wild.

And to @Wintermote’s point - yes, it’s happening everywhere. The need to make everything safe for everyone is EVERYWHERE. God forbid someone, somewhere get upset by a piece of media.

11 Likes

I think it should be banned for being unfunny and overdone.

7 Likes

Unironically could happen. Oxford definition of slur is “an insinuation or allegation about someone that is likely to insult them or damage their reputation” - so any kind of insulting language could be on the table. You wanna shoot that CLF who is shooting you? Totally fine. But you better not insult them while doing it! CM is now Courteous Marines :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Interesting, the one person who objects to my statement. You seem to be detached. What did I say was wrong? Who have I offended by calling my self a Deltard. You seem willing to rip the heart and soul out of our community for what end? What objective does this achieve? You claim calling my self a Deltard offends people. Who have I offended? The community is wholeheartedly against this change yet you push forward full steam without regard for any input. In begs the question, why and to what end? All I have heard is bureaucratic double speak. Let’s have a frank and honest conversation. I not circumventing a rule by calling my self a Deltard.

In summary:

4 Likes

Cagliostro the American hero :speaking_head: :speaking_head:

Baiting people to have people make their own CM and fracture the community isn’t really something the host should be doing. You didn’t build CM, please remember that before you kick out and or fracture the community over something as silly as the r slur.

11 Likes

I got noted for slurs for saying fuckers and ass already so…

6 Likes

go outside i beg of you

3 Likes

I too a Delta main am pissed by banning of the D******. Banning the R**** word? Fine do it. But like others have posted here already it as a word is long standing thing very unique to us here in CM. I am sorry for disagreeing here but no, just no. D***** in my 4 years of playing CM never been used or taken as a insult by anyone from what I can recall. I too like @LilPenpusher would like to ask um who wanted this? Like for real your asking for a lot of CM vets to just not use something that has been part of CM since before I got here. I see why staff are banning D***** on the simple reason so discord and the game have like or closer set bars, and normally I would support that action. But thats not it this time. Its not the same as X***** was used to get past for N*****. A big part of CM culture is just being gutted and for what? Kindly reconsider this staff and undo this action please.
Thank you for reading, and have a good day/night.

3 Likes

It’s not bait. There’s plenty of other ss13 servers that do allow that kind of language and if not being able to say slurs is a “deal breaker” for people I encourage them to go elsewhere.

As for deltard, that’s gone to close the loophole being exploited, that part is literally up for discussion (like Forrest said) above.

2 Likes

Again, if you use such a broad definition of the word “slur", why stop here? There are many slurs that are still not prohibited. Or maybe you understand that not all slurs are equally inappropriate? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

10 Likes

I’m glad that purity spirals happen even in obscure space video games. The only reason I can come up with for this rule change is someone in staff just fundamentally felt like crushing the player base for a quick thrill.

What’s even sadder is seeing staff trip over themselves to support each other instead of taking a breath, a few step back, and realizing how silly this is. The community is doomed when the leadership has an us-vs-them mentality.

11 Likes

i will miss deltard but I can still call them Deltupid at least OORAH

though as a genuine question if ableist slurs are on the menu are we going to ban the usage of cripple? I ask because I am a cripple IRL and call myself that rather proudly and with a degree of humour

Overall who fucking cares about this change, bravo was always the superior squad, and delta’s squad identity can change over time from being drooling idiots to being drooling idiots but with a new catchy name or smth

in the inconsistency side of things, I got like a 10 minute timeout on the discord for saying deltard like 2-3 weeks ago despite saying it ingame, and I was extremely confused about that. Consistency is good because I’m sure I’m not the only one who didn’t know and hit the automod filter

TL;DR:
Is cripple as a term gonna be automodded? and whatever is the ultimate outcome consistency is good between forum/game/discord regardless of the outcome (imagine getting discord banned for saying something you could ig, you’d be very upset n confused)

1 Like

This is the kind of insanity that is to come. Screen cap this comment for future reference, because its gonna go hard.

8 Likes

Banning the word cripple is extremely hard to justify, there’s a lot of use cases for the word that don’t sound so archaic that you would only use them to go “but it also means other things :(((((”, especially for a game so combat focused, cripple their defenses, cripple a tank, cripple a supply line, etc.

4 Likes

As I quote a famous Grim when someone called me mentally ill; Did you really compare the N word with the now prohibited R word?

4 Likes

its a downward spiral it gets worse before it gets worse
marine jocko

7 Likes