Plat Medal unlocks

What if having a platinum medal in certain roles gave you a possible thing in other roles…

Like having a Plat MT medal lets you buy Hi Capacity Blowtorch(the large 90u or w/e one) as a Comtech for 45 points or having(God forbid) a Plat MP/Warden/CMP medal let you buy a Riot Shield for 45 points…

2 Likes

I don’t think attaching playtime to any in-game buffs, no matter how minor is a good idea. It’s just not a good precedent to have.
Plus, there’s always gonna be that one guy who grinds 175 hours just to unlock something, even if they despise the role.

3 Likes

pretty sure it’s been explicitly stated there’s never going to be playtime awards in this manner
either way, no. just no.

2 Likes

Well, there could be something to be said in the least to having a perk for playing a role such as Req wherein at a certain point, if everyone playing is experienced, the only reason some players might go Req would be because of a sense of duty since someone has to.

I mostly just search for ways to one day enable me to consistently get riot shields for 1H pistol/machete/stockless L42/M39 builds

1 Like

it would be a good idea that when CL gets a plat medal (he dosent but he just gets like his rank name chage for exaple from junior to senior) that he gets a WY mug that says: #1 CL

6 Likes

Why not just cosmetics for platinum medal?

MT: Welding goggles with a glow in the dark, NVG-green to the eyes. Doesn’t help them see in the dark. Just makes their little eyes glow green in the dark - like, as much light as a cigarette/cigar gives off.

MP: Judge Dredd helmet - same stats as a standard MP hat/helmet, just a different look. We already massively reference Star Trek with literally EVERY medicine so why not another beloved Sci-Fi? This one is even fittingly dystopian.

Doc/CMO: A big googly-eyed headpiece with a bunch of different lenses on it, like Ichabod Crane’s weird magnification device in the Burton Sleepy Hollow. Or maybe the creepy doctor turtleneck from TimeSplitters.

Command Staff: Obviously, privateer gear. Tricorne. Parrot that fits in the off-ear slot but shows up on your character’s shoulder. Big pirate-y frock coat. Powdered wig.

RFN: Squad specific half-cape that fits on your mask slot, goes down maybe to mid-back/waist. A battle skirt ala Clone Commander style or some sort of half-cape over one shoulder would be cool too. OR… SQUAD SPECIFIC BERETS THAT ARE ACTUALLY THE SQUAD COLOR AND NOT THIS SINGLE PIXEL DOT OF COLOR ON A GREY HAT.

Engi: Welder’s mask with hotrod flames or some painted on dragon/lion face. Or maybe their armor has black/yellow hazard stripes.

Medic: Plague doctor’s mask. Nuff said. A white cape would also be cool but it would make you extremely obvious to xenos. Guess the mask would too, but…

CT: Some sort of mini-exosuit harness. Obviously no stats, just a little power armor kinda rig they can wear on their armor slot or something to make it look like they’ve got help in tirelessly moving hundreds of boxes of ammo, nades, building materials, etc.

Then you could just pick which cosmetic you want, if at all, somewhere near and in a similar fashion to how you pick your custom loadout. I’d sprite all these no problem if anything like it got off the ground.

3 Likes

Have rewards for mess technicians so that the more hours you play the bigger your hat gets.

6 Likes

yes, let’s encourage even more LRP by giving people funnee costume to wear

2 Likes

This is not going to happen any time soon, unless there is a massive direction change on playtime rewards they will remain cosmetic only.

6 Likes

Some of them may be “funnee costume” but I don’t see why platinum ranked players of certain roles, ESPECIALLY boring, tedious, often un-thanked roles couldn’t be afforded certain prestigious cosmetics. I also don’t think some cool half-capes would be LRP or too dissimilar from something like a military issue poncho. Really, aside from the pirate costume, Sleepy Hollow lens set, plague doctor mask, and maybe the Dredd helmet, how would any of this NOT fit? I think if you actually saw the kinds of things I had in mind on a real character moving around in-game you would change your opinion.

Yes the topic has been solved, but I want to stand by what I said and further posit the fact these would improve RP by adding aesthetic variance to a lot of shipside roles. RP is an abstraction laid over the mechanics of the game we’re actually playing. What we see as players is also what we interact with as characters. An MT with hotrod flames painted on his welding mask says a lot about that MT as a character. An RFN with a USCM patch on his armor and a little cape of seniority and a stock-standard M-41A rifle at his side is a dependable marine with some American flair and retro-futuristic vibes. Improves squad visibility. Adds more options to keep things fresh for long time players. Gives incentive to new players to STAY.

I’m pushing capes and skirts/kilts especially hard too for the sake of depth regarding lore, considering there are meant to be Japanese aesthetics involved in the general, human-sided “Alien” IP’s motif. Shoulder capes, half capes, skirts - samurai, ronin, flintlock-era soldiers? We already have tactical scarfs that are essentially the mantle to a cape, why not just give senior players the cosmetic option of having a tail on that mantle? We’re not talking goofy superhero capes here; operator styled capes: long shemaghs, keffiyahs, “poncho” styled all-use fabrics they’ve thrown over their shoulder; kevlar lames, ceramic groin and hip protectors - however you want to imagine it. I’d design all these things I listed with some grit and life and realism to them and they’d fit into the environment well. It’s often the people that put effort into the cosmetics of their character that are more inclined to roleplay anyways, so no need to be so diminutive of my suggestions.

Just say you want Ponchos

1 Like

I want ponchos and hooded raincoats and fur-trimmed snow parkas and battle-skirts and shoulder capes and half capes and I’m not only willing to sprite all of them but also make variants like a USCM or W-Y brand version or squad variants and even bloodied up and acid covered ones as you take damage. And I know you’d be wearing them constantly because you would love them.

Slight problem: the USCM doesn’t wear any of these things, if you want a shitton of customization, go to TGMC.

Go sprite and PR it, then?

1 Like

say it with me now:
“Dont give experinced players an ingame adnavtage for being more epxerinced.”
Giving good players an unfair advantage because they are good, is on the top of the list of things you dont do.

2 Likes

If you are going to go to the effort to make nice cosmetic sprites you may as well let all Marine players use them instead of the <1% of people who have spent 175 hours playing 1 role.

1 Like

this is the fucking way

Good news! This is my most liked topic!

Bad news! It’s the -1 react!

5 Likes

I look at the roles I have plat medals for.

I look at my uniforms & exosuits I attach medals to so people can see them.

I look at my goofy plat medal.

I look at my hours in these roles.

I look at you.

I look at my goofy plat hours.

I click join, and my cursor hovers over MT & CE…

4 Likes

Id say no to cosmetics but yes to rewards.

Like the SEA USED to get a rank upgrade at X number of hours played… and who cared cause its SEA but it was cool to see

Or how the CL goes from Junior Executive to Senior… thats cool and just adds a little rp flair.

More stuff like that.

An easy one for me. Let plat doctors be “resident doctors”.

2 Likes