Riots and You

So, i play a lot of rounds as a MP and have noticed something Admins hate Riots organically happening. For instance, during a bob cross split drop briefing was taking forever and the marines were losing their minds going goblin mode in briefing and braking shit. now instead of the MPs having to do riot control and that stuff admins basically said “no more riot or ban” which while i understand the need for rounds to actually happen the way they were intended so Xeno players can have fun but a misnomer every once in a while, can be kind of fun maybe have the Xenos be able to hijack the dropship while the riot is happening? I don’t know but Riots and mutinies need to have less admin interference and rules behind them so bad command decisions or Tyranical MPs who arrest people for no reason can actually face consequences aside from Provosts maybe showing up right before hijack.

7 Likes
  • Be me, can only play two or so rounds a week.
  • I join a round.
  • A bunch of manchildren can’t wait for a few other players to finish their job and decide to to have a tantrum and screw things up for literally every other player on the server.
  • Round either ends early or drags on forever because Xenos built Xomaha Beach.
  • There goes my round.

Having a tantrum over a late briefing is not an “organic mutiny” in the same way that incompetent command knowingly making a poor call and sending marines to their death is, especially that early on.

3 Likes

Riots early on can be fine if its not like BIG SERIOUS. If its just minor tomfoolery that doesnt cause major interference it isnt that bad.

But what Arty said. If it goes the point where marines are breaking windows and destroying everything and ruining the round for others that draws a line as not everyone is here to cause a problem over a briefing that is taking awhile longer.

(its like rioting over Greg Lauffer briefing which no one does)

3 Likes

Speaking as purely a player. In my opinion marines shouldn’t be rioting. A mutiny is one thing, but a general riot just shouldn’t be a thing in a disciplined military organization.

2 Likes

Most of the marines are from a penal facility though…so RP wise I came to expect unstable people.

3 Likes

the rim battalion is supposed to be the least desirable postings so I wouldnt be surprised if everyone on the vessel had a criminal background, or a civil/military court dictated requirement for service. Gramps certainly does. tbh riots over MP behavior should be more common, and most riots are mischaracterized as mutinies when the rank and file are merely attempting to prevent MPs from screwing over a round. Mutinies are supposed to be the only thing that requires ahelp approval - riots are not the same.

2 Likes

I think if a riot evolves organically.

For example a delta and a bravo fighting out of boredom and a third party gets hit and a brawl breaks out. Acceptable

Firing a m2ac into briefing bubble because drop is 2mins late… Not acceptable.

Delta not being allowed to drop because “you are reinforcements wait in lounge for orders” and being forced to wait while alpha gets wiped leading to the lounge literally exploding and catching on fire with ape behavior. Acceptable.

“Mps are arresting the spec”. Not acceptable

3 Likes

if its sub 20mins to deployment (though i know the meta for CIC is sub 15, even 10 minute deployments) riot and the SADAR with limited ability to destroy property meaningfully, req staff, any EXCEPT gramps, let them bust up the walls. MPs have tools explicitly for hvh warfare so it gives all parties a taste of touching grass - i mean stretching their legs.

1 Like

I mean I feel you, but at the same time your round can end at any moment for any reason. You can get FF and left to rot, xenos can snag you as soon as you deploy, ive seen marines wipe within minutes of drop several times. Last night there were three rounds in a row where marines wiped ten minutes into drop. So saying a round is wasted is kind of missing the idea, when anything that makes the round more interesting or different should have the opposite affect

3 Likes

so many parts of the game are explained by saying we are a backwood underfunded, undertrained, poorly equipped division, and then we are also expected to act as a disciplined military organization

2 Likes

Amen nothing is shittier than getting off a 12 hour shift and retards are ruining the round by being babies NOOOOOOO I DONT WANT TO FOLLOW ORDERS LIKE A NORMAL SOLDIER!!! You should an actual IC reason to riot.

3 Likes

We’re still Marines, even if we are the bush league.

Most marines except for SL’s being able to pass off attending briefing is pretty much the in-universe limit to how much you can stretch the concept of discipline.

1 Like

I mean… kinda.

Look at the equipment and dress of the marines… everyone picks whatever they want and its far from “standard issue”.

People smoke, curse, and joke with command and others. Get in fist fights and get drunk on duty

But that is a FAR FAR gap from assaulting an officer, murdering a cop, or just breaking parts of the ship for no reason.

Spacehillbillies but not psychopaths.

5 Likes

Majority of pre-drop riots are on the drop ship, and I have attempted to perform arrests for major crimes, mainly for assault, and marines have gone schizo because the wanted marine refuses to cooperate. Sometimes I have to cut my losses and pepper spray or flashbang half the dropship just so I can get out with my equipment and my life.

After this, they’ll scream on the radio at how I’m ruining the op by taking their only commtech or other melodramatic comments. It’s not my fault your friend couldn’t resist the urge to beat someone. Or better yet,they’ll complain about being blind after trying to stop a legal arrest.

It is your Goddess-given right as a soldier in the greatest nation known to mankind to get help-intent shuffled into a buckshot PB ten minutes into the round and not brought over to a medic. However, that is after the game has been set-up, often affects only an individual or two, and is something you have some measure of control over.

Like with everything that’s cool, too much is not fun.
Pre-drop riots would be fun like once in a month, but if you give the players full agency over causing them they’d get stale again very quickly.

3 Likes

Correct.

2 Likes

real men have notes for stripping and beheading the CMP in the Alamo before first drop with a mob.

6 Likes

I don’t have notes for that because I never got caught.

2 Likes

i would argue it only appears that way because there is 0 incentive to sit in the Briefing Room or Hangar for briefings - things kick off on the DS because thats where most players are as they bio/smoke/you name it before deployment. this is not to say those who gear up, get on the DS, ask questions later should be punished. and yes, walking into the DS full of methamphetamine bald humanoids to arrest the one engineer for breaking a window on the bus is asking for a riot - especially as deployment is due and disregarding the new gear storage merges. none of this still addresses that riots are treated the same as mutinies despite being distinctively different.

1 Like