Ro3ger

What is your Discord ID?

Ro3ger

What is your timezone in UTC?

UTC -8

Player Name You Use Most?

May ‘Chaos’ Blyant

Ban Appeals, Whitelist and Staff Applications:

Have you been banned in the last 3 months?

No

If so, why?

Command Knowledge:

How familiar are you with command positions?

Very strong
I understand how to manage all departments of the Almayer, how each one works and functions in a normal round and even during non standard rounds
I have a strong understanding of being able to tell how to get marines attentions and if they are struggling at a task due to a specific problem, most recently I had one where there was a lack of cohesion due to them not having someone to follow behind.
I have a full understanding of SOP and ML and as a Smod I am given the ability to make calls for marine law above a CO in round. And also I am trusted to enact rules based off of SOP when applicable so it requires me to have a strong knowledge of that too

Hours in XO:

Hours in SL:

Character Information:

Why did your character decide to become the CO of a ship?

She had became a accomplished Commander showing her ability to beat the odds when her previous Commanding Officer was assassinated she was able to take over a mission and completed it when the expected outcome was failure, she was recognised as a brilliant strategist

After the operation on Myriads Row, she was voluntold (<-Told to volunteer into) into officer school, where she became a platoon commander, her work in operations getting an 85% success rate where the last 15% were factors made by actions unavoidable. Her work as a commander got her rank increased slowly from 2nd LT to Captain where she was put in as the Executive officer of a company under Major Underwood who unfortunately was assassinated early in the planning of an operation considered impossible for the UA and her company to accomplish she had defied the odds and completed their objectives with only a 10% fatality rate of her company, this mission had promoted her due to the lack of a Commanding Officer and the success of the mission to Major and Commanding Officer

How did your character attain the position of CO?

As described above she was the Executive officer aboard the vessel but after the assassination of the Commanding officer Major Underwood durring the planning of the mission she had taken over the position as acting Commanding officer where after the success of the mission instead of getting a new commanding officer it was elected to have her promoted due to her working as good if not better than the Major before her

Provide a short story of your CO.

Command Actions:

When do you believe it’s appropriate to pardon a prisoner?

Pardons are something that should only be used when it is for the success of the operation, or when the crime was not actually committed.One thing that I always look for when doing appeals is if the person who committed the crime is actually regretful about their actions or at least apologetic after those two a major factor is the usefulness of the marine for instance a Smartgunner who simply disarmed a MP once and understands their actions and seems to be attempting to make amends would be a perfect person to pardon. Another instance is when miscommunication happens as this is something that can easily happen in CM due to us being a chat based video game where communication can sometimes be slow or missed by the flowing lines of chat. A final instance is a squad leader who takes the fall for their marines even if it is a private, as long as the crimes are not major crimes they are a symbol of leadership for marines and would be someone I want to see on the battlefield rather than their talents rot away.

Give some examples of when you would or would not use pardon.

#1: A consensual brawl between two marines, while yes this brawl was agreed upon by both parties it is something that should be done in private and secret, if they got found out then they would not be secretive about it. This brings a bad example for all marines who might just start fighting each other because “Johnson and Jackson were fighting why can’t we”
#2: People who used disarms, table slam and stuff like zip tie cuffs or cable ties to “mess around” with their fellow marines. These actions are against ML and actions have consequences which these marines have lost the lottery on getting away with it
#3: The marines who go around breaking all the windows on the ship for fun while also causing havoc, what they are doing is just destroying the ship for fun and in a IC sense, someone has to pay for all the repairs
#4 A Squad Leader who had gotten ordered to be arrested by a staff officer due to insubordination for not doing a direct order even though that order would result in the death of the Squad Leader. This is a good example of a appeal as while they did disobey a order it was a plain awful one at best

When do you believe it’s appropriate to use a Battlefield Execution?

Battlefield Executions is something that can be extremely underrated as a tool while also capable of causing extreme anger or making a particular CO look like a bad guy. I have seen battlefield executions and I aim to use them as a way to bring marines into order when problems begin to arise by one particular marine who is causing the rest to start to back down or falter.
Battlefield executions as a tool completely removes a marine from the round forcing them to either be a ghost or xenomorph, Battlefield executions should really only be used to enact the hand of the law onto a marine when MP arrest is not available or they are a current active threat to me and other marines.

Give some examples of when you would or would not use Battlefield Execution.

#1: CLF agent is attacking CIC and I managed to get the upper hand on them knocking them down with a Mateba shot - Assuming CLF isn’t trying to RP and is only wanting to frag.
#2: A marine is at the front line trying to corral the marines to fall back to a position that provides no advantage to where we are now, their being a active disturbance by dragging/disarming marines and breaking down barricades to force marines to move back.
#3:There are no MP’s or anyone capable of being deputized online, and its low pop so likelihood of one appearing is slim to none. The PO evaced extremely early despite having explicit instructions to not launch the dropship launches it, leaving half of the marine force groundside to be killed by xenomorphs (manslaughter, desertion, sedation)
#4 A marine is running around disarming people at the front line claiming “its just a joke” at one point they successfully disarm someone who just primed a grenade causing it to explode right on the marines would be a example of BE use

I am watching the App.

(Prepare for trouble when I get home, Mista)

2 Likes

Hey May I heard that an incident occurred with you as SEA last night, can you explain what happened?

2 Likes

Ok, I’ve been cooking. Here goes my preliminary review of this one.

Correct me if I’m wrong but… this sentence is incomplete? Or, feels so at least. “if they are struggling at (should be ‘with’) a task due to a specific problem […]” and then you basically just lose track of what you were meaning to say?

I won’t bring this up again until the end because otherwise I’d be here all-day, but your grammar, punctuation and just overall flow of writing makes it hard to accurately understand what you’re saying here, at times.

Please post your MP playtimes. I generally disregard Staff status with regards to ML knowledge considering I was once part of Staff myself (up to SMod also) and realised most of my colleagues avoided answering or interacting with MP faxes/situations entirely, because they feared they would screw up or simply… didn’t know any better?

This is no attack against you personally, of course, just my own, personal view on the matter. I need something more concrete here than just “I’m Staff”.

I don’t even know what this means. Is this referring back to being Staff? You mention this right after that, so I figured it refers to that? But maybe you’re referring to SOP alterations which any Commander (like XO without a CO) can do. Unclear here, though.

Yes, thank you… we know the word.

This is a SUPER broad statement. Literally what are “actions unavoidable” in this context? This just seems like a lousy way of making your CO character have pretty much a 100% success rate while staying away from that 100% for “realism” while not actually providing… any realism?

The next highest rank from Second Lieutenant is First Lieutenant, not Captain. Captain comes after 1st Lt. Basic information on US Officer grades that anyone can look up within 5 seconds. Unless, of course, you mean to tell us your character got immediately promoted straight to Captain from 2nd LT for exemplary service and stellar leadership - but you don’t give us any such example except for the “85% success rate”.

patrick-bateman-american-psycho

So this mission, which was considered “impossible” by the Major and High Command (why would they still send you on this mission anyway considering our resources are limited…?) suddenly, and miraculously, is achieved and results in a HEROIC VICTORY with not only success, but a staggering, mere 10% casualties during it.

I cannot and will not beat around the bush with this: This is a Mary Sue. You are writing a Mary Sue character.

Going back to this: you COMPLETELY misunderstood the meaning of this entire section to begin with. All of what you wrote in here actually belongs into the NEXT section aka “How did your character attain the position of CO?”

This section is about your character’s background and personality. Where do they come from? What drove them towards the USCM and Officer training in particular? What are they fighting for? It’s a section in which you are meant to shed light on some deeper part of your character.

This could have EASILY been identified by you if you had taken a look at quite literally but a single approved application before this. They all do it right.

There are many things I could say about this, but I’ll summarise it briefly.

• Using a literal Team Fortress 2 short for your story is… not great. The story is a CREATIVE WRITING exercise, and so using a prompt that’s already given to you is just flatout less effort than everyone else in the Whitelist has made, who all came up with their own scenarios and stories.

• I don’t know why you decided to go with a Platoon Sergeant, especially because you messed up their rank anyway. A Marine Platoon Sergeant is usually of the rank of Staff Sergeant, not Gunnery Sergeant. For a normal rifle platoon, anyway.

• Grammar and punctuation remains a lasting issue.

• The story is cut into too many small chapters for me to really “enjoy” it in any meaningful way because it cuts off like that repeatedly, instead of telling a cohesive, continuous tale.

• I have no idea why your document is set to allow suggestions instead of being view-only, or why the title is “REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE CO STUFF”???

As opposed to pardoning someone for the loss of the operation…?

Wrong entirely. A Pardon is not an appeal. If someone did not commit the crime they are charged with, then they ought to APPEAL it as such. A Pardon is quite literally a way for the CO to announce “This prisoner is GUILTY of ALL charged crimes, but I am using my PERSONAL AUTHORITY to let them go free. If they fuck up again, that’s on me”.

I guess? But also like, why would you shove an MP if it wasn’t a deliberate intent? You don’t exactly “accidentally” do this.

This is also something you can totally just appeal, in my opinion, because a single shove may be contested on whether it really can be considered “Assault” but TECHNICALLY a pardon can be used for this. Weird, but yes.

This honestly tells me nothing. I use the same chat the prisoner uses - arguably have it harder than them because a CO has access to EVERY radio channel as opposed to just squad + req + jtac or whatever. If I can keep up with it, I can expect others can, also. It’s also not really a valid excuse in-character either. Miscommunication can obviously happen, but more so due to actual, yknow, miscommunication. Not people missing messages entirely. The former I can excuse, the latter less so.

Literally what? What does “takes the fall for their Marines” even mean in this instance? Do you mean “They asked to be arrested instead of one of their Privates”? Because if so, then that’s not possible. You cannot ask to be arrested on someone else’s behalf. That’s something that only works in movies, my guy.

Secondarily: Pardoning a Squad Leader purely because they’re a Squad Leader aka a limited role. No, just no. A Pardon depends on a wide variety of factors, but just because you play a rare, limited role doesn’t mean you should be automatically given a pardon like this.

So… would you use a pardon or not? You literally do not tell us. You just showcase a scenario and say “this is bad” and… that’s it.

Again: You don’t tell us if you would or would not consider a Pardon, and why exactly. You just describe a situation.

I’m assuming you wouldn’t use a Pardon, but I don’t know that for sure because you legitimately don’t tell us this.

BEable due to LRP and nonsensical disruption. Again, no mention of yes or no to pardoning, though. Basically makes all of these fall flat.

So do you go through with an appeal or a pardon?? You need to TELL US this, man, I can’t believe I need to instruct you to tell me this.

So you say this, but you also say:

Meaning you kinda contradict yourself? Obviously threats to you are valid BEs, and in some circumstances, for some crimes, you can issue a swift BE instead of going for an arrest if MPs are not around. However, BEs are more than that - which you breifly seem to hint towards… but now you backpedal and outright say… they’re not? And that they’re only a last resort + E-Break for when MPs are not online??

I don’t know what “isn’t trying to RP” means considering… they are a hostile terrorist that just tried to kill you? Like, yeah… obviously you blow their brains out. Idk why you wouldn’t.

As with pardons: you don’t actually say whether you would or would not BE this Marine. This answer is thus pointless as I have no idea what you intended to say.

Again: You don’t say whether you would BE or not. However, your charged crimes are also off.

Manslaughter? Yes, obviously.

Desertion? No. Retreating from the Planet is not deserting one’s post - refusing to return is, unless CIC declares the operation to be over of course.

Sedition? Arguably no, because the DP has not created a “massive threat” to the command structure by evacuating early, nor have they sought to usurp the command structure.

I would add Major Insubordination here because he had direct orders to hold groundside.

Yes, valid.

In Summary

• Terrible grammar, punctuation and flow. Your English, at least written English as presented in this application, is subpar and not at all at a level I believe is desirable and required for this Whitelist.

• Your Character Background is… quite literally just you writing a Mary Sue. Not only did they go from a PVT to GySgt, but they then went into Officer Training, skipped right past 1stLT to become a Captain (because why not?) and then became a Major because they miraculously won a “impossible mission” with basically no casualties.

• Your Pardon answers are flat out unacceptable. Your intro to what a pardon is straight up shows that you don’t even fully understand what a Pardon represents.

• You know what a BE is, but you’ve contradicted yourself in this on when to use them, and your application is in such a desperate lack of proofreading that you didn’t even tell us whether you would or would not issue a BE (or pardon) for your presented cases, meaning most of them are basically useless to us.

Overall this Application suffers from a major lack of polish, refinement and just… just effort, really. Like, a lot of the shit I mentioned up there? That’s stuff you can fix by just going over all your answers once or twice before hitting submit, man. And you clearly didn’t even do that. You didn’t invite a CO, let alone Councillor, to do it with you either - something MANY others before you have done to great effect.

This is, as it stands, an application that shows a lack of effort, and due to that, a lack of actual motivation for wanting to get this Whitelist. Somebody who actually wants this Whitelist would go above and beyond to ensure their application is foolproof and ready for us before sending it. You did not do this.

Your English is insufficient. Your Character is outright terribad because of how you presented their background. I want this iteration of May literally nowhere close to our Whitelist. Your understanding of BEs is bad and contradictory, your understanding of a Pardon even worse.

This is a -1. You need to read up on all my points here and do better, man. I’m sorry to have laid into you like this, but just no.

3 Likes

After witnessing your blatant disregard for roleplay, common sense, and server rules in an important, whitelisted role, I severely doubt you will be any better as a CO.

From a senior moderator, I expect better.

Heavy -1

1 Like

Withdrawl
When I had made this I though the thing that happened with me as the SEA was not as rampant as I thought it had been, it was a joke I had made with people I knew and I was just having fun with them knowing I could get a laugh with them later but the situation has spiraled heavily out of control to a point I could not expect, if I had known it so out of control I would have waited before making this and yes I have been talked to about the incident
I had talked with somone on the CO whitelist about my app and went through it with them but unfortunately they cannot help someone who is just bad at writing and apparently my understanding of paroles apparently wrong
TLDR withdrawing to wait for a future date

I know you’re withdrawing from the app but over the course of your past applications, I’m gonna be honest and just, reach out to us dude. Synth, Yautja, CO, whatever whitelist you’re going for just reach out to the council, ask for help, get some tips and feedback. The councils do not exist to block people from having fun on the game, we are more than willing to help out future applicants.

When you do decide to go for a whitelist again, please reach out and take the proper steps to succeed next time.

3 Likes

Ahem, what the synth councilor said. Reach out, we’ll always be here to be supportive and guide for the proper steps to success.

1 Like

As others have said: reach out to the Council of whatever Whitelist you’re interested in prior to applying. As well as other Whitelist Holders.

Nobody here is saying you’re inherently bad at writing - but what you delivered here is not up to standards. However, as you are a SMod, I more think that this is due to a lack of proofreading and real effort than an inherent lack of… skill? I certainly think you have the ability to make it at a later date, assuming you try harder to make it all come together.

Also, for reference, I don’t currently know about this whole SEA thing. I don’t wanna read into it either. I made my judgement purely based on this application. Just wanted to mention that.

I’ll do Sammy the favour and declare this WITHDRAWN by the applicant. You may re-apply in 30 days, on the 28th of March.

1 Like

Added co:denied and removed co:waiting