Role Engagement

At what point in playing a new role is when you can confidently say, “I play as blank”? For example, I feel like I can claim that I play a role when I either do something meaningful that contributes to a round or something very noticeable in a round. Like an SO or XO having a good or bad OB. As an engineer building a whole new part of the ship, or as a squad leader getting your squad ambushed or having a successful push. What is a “yeah I play this role” moment that defined a role for you?

Literally just ask yourself, “Do I enjoy this role, and would I like to play it again on a regular basis?” You don’t really need to do anything else. Heck, you don’t even need to be good.

4 Likes

“I am able AND willing to entertain myself and not afk while staring off a FOB cadeline by bantering over comms or with the PVT next to me, and I will volunteer to relieve the entirety of Alpha/Charlie assigned to comms by myself” - I am Bravo ROFLman/Engineer.

“I am able AND willing to do nothing but scrapping maints, answering Tech requests, hauling crates, reloading OBs, and feeding req various supply items in maints.” - I am a MT/CE.

Really what made it for me was when other players lauded me for being able and willing to do these things even though I was comfortable doing it without recognition. None of the things I listed above are glamorous, glorious, what most would consider “fun”, but they are necessary and I find enjoyment in enabling others to do what they find “fun”. Someone has to do it, and since I don’t mind it I might as well so others may do what they enjoy.

4 Likes