What is your Discord username?

Steelpoint

What characters do you play on CM-SS13?

Alan Bentway, Nicholas, Kwei-Lith’ka

Are you 16 or older?

Yes

Timezone:

AWST

On average, how many hours are you available to moderate in an average week?

10+, likely more depending on circumstances

Qualifications:

Do you have previous experience in game or community moderation?

Few rounds as trial admin on /tg/ half a decade ago. Was a former head admin for an old SCP:Containment Breach Forum a decade ago.

Provide any links to any previous CM-SS13 whitelist, mentor or staff applications:

Predator Re-App 2023, Approved: Steelpoint - Yautja Application
Synthetic App 2019, Approved: Accepted Steelpoint - Synthetic Application
Commander App 2017, Approved: (Lost due to inactivity) Steelpoint/Alan Bentway CO Application - CM-SS13
2nd Predator App 2017, Approved: Kwei Ikthya-de - Second Attempt - CM-SS13
1st Predator App, 2017, Denied: Kwei Ikthya-de (Sly Umbra) - CM-SS13

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on CM-SS13?

No.

Can you actively engage and communicate with the team through Discord?

Yes.

Final Details:

Why would you like to join the CM-SS13 staff team?

I have been a member of this community from pre-2016 to the modern day. In all this time I have found the community to not only be one of the best ones within SS13, but a shining example of well done moderation and administration.

I’ve always floated the idea of giving more back to the community by taking up the task of being a moderator, or even an admin, in the early days I took up this task by helping create the initial wiki and random job guides on the forums. However, for most of my time as a player, I found the idea of performing admin related work to be a source of detriment towards enjoying the game, why turn a hobby into a job? However as I have read more discussions on the subject I have come to believe taking on these responsibilities would not majorly impact my ability to play the game as I would be able to proceed at my own, reasonable, pace. I feel becoming a member of staff would enable me to assist in ensuring the smooth operation of the server and to help, in my own way, ensure its positive reputation is upheld.

What makes you a great addition to Staff? (Experienced Tabletop DM, Aliens Lore Buff, Super Organized, etc.?)

I am capable of being calm and emotionally detached when performing any work related duties, my real world occupation requires this so I consider it a well honed skill.
I consider myself quite knowledgeable regarding the lore of the aliens universe ergo I could use this when communicating via OOC communiques as needed.
I am able to suppress my need for enjoyment to ensure other people derive enjoyment, ties in again to my real world occupation to a minor degree.
While my coding skills are quite limited, I do often push contributions to the game via mapping and sprite work or general changes. Ergo my codebase knowledge would translate to a degree to in-game moderating knowledge as I would have a good command of how the game’s backend systems work to a degree that would enhance my mod abilities. Furthermore I believe this would aid me in getting quickly acclimated to the moderation systems.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality of a CM-SS13 staff member?

The ability to remain impartial but also capable of being cool headed and unemotional when dealing with any in-game or out of game administrative issues. However this has to be paired with a good degree of empathy for the gameplay experience of the player/s you are interacting with. It is easy to forget how overwhelming and un-intuitive the game can be for someone who is still learning, but this has to be paired with the community expectations for following the rules and remaining in character.

Anything else you want to add?

I’ve had the opportunity to observe this community grow from its inception as a SS13 gamemode with syndicate operatives running around box station dodging the atmospherics as much as the aliens, to the early years of the closed source code era, to the modern day open source era.

In my opinion the quality of the server as a whole, its players, admins and developers, has done nothing but improve over the years. I never felt compelled to stop playing or leave because of a decline in the server attitudes or quality.

I am confident I will be around for a long time, so I think I may be able to provide a service and help the community in my own small way while I am present.

3 Likes

Can’t say I personally have met you.

I mostly know you from previous statements made here on the forums for a variety of things.

As things are, you would mostly be taking the American late night shift.

You might have to expect it to be only mostly you at this time when it comes to moderating.
I appreciate your concern with helping the server run smoothly by assisting it, but I have to say it becomes somewhat like a job at some point.

You might have a struggle balancing playing while being staff as well if you take the previous mentioned night shift.

You show a good trait of impartial opinion as stated which is good, but will you investigate situations to the fullest with everything that you have at hand at times?

Are you going to burn out for reasons after becoming staff and take leave?

Can you handle running the show by yourself at times where you might be overwhelmed?

With that last question I have nothing more to add and wait eagerly to see your response.

You show some potential for a better future.

2 Likes

Absolutely +1

Your history as a player is pretty clean, you’re active, and you’d be great for the job. With that said, I would like to echo what Vagbond says above. Becoming a mod doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the game, but if you want to be a good mod you’ll probably find that it does impact your activity as a player.

You’re under no distinct obligation to take ahelps even if you’re alone (I personally consider it a moral imperative, but not all necessarily share that outlook) but I believe that when you decide to accept the role, you’ve accepted an unspoken rule to put the players’ game before your own.

Overall I think you would be great for the role, but I don’t know if the role would be great for you. I’d love to have you on at my ‘deadpop’ hour, but only if you want to be there.

1 Like

i think youd be nice to have on the team, especially with your history and knowledge

+1

1 Like

The answers to all your questions ultimately come down to the fact that I believe I can achieve a high standard without burning out but that I can not corroborate this until I’m actually in the mod seat. I’d like to believe I would investigate any ahelp or in-game issue to the fullest, I’d like to believe I won’t burn out quickly and I’d like to believe I’d be able to “run the show” by myself.

Nonetheless I feel confident in being able to meet these standards, ergo I would never have applied for the position if I felt I would be dissuaded or if the impact of the role would limit my ability to enjoy the game enough that I’d avoid playing it.

I do appreciate I typically play in CM’s ‘lowpop’ hours by the north American standards so I do understand I will definitely be in a position where I could be the only staff online, or at the very least one of the very few staff online.

If you follow the path and do everything right, you should be fine.

+1

And like, just for the record no one is ever going to hold it against you if you are accepted and you decide it isn’t for you. We all do what we enjoy and we’re all volunteers. Enjoying the game and our time put into it is a very high priority.

I’ve seen Steelpoint all over and have consistently had good experiences with them I think they’ll do great.

2 Likes

Heya! Soo i’ve got a question to ask, Feel free to take your time

What would you do, if you were a part of a Goon CRT and your SL starts shooting people?

Also, i’ve seen you around, etc.

1 Like

A reliable and competent person, from the interactions I’ve had with him. 1+

1 Like

Assuming the SL is shooting people without any justifiable reasoning, I’d try to alert any other active staff to what is occurring, since I am a member of the same ERT I would be peripherally involved in what is occurring, thus it’d be better if a third party investigated.

I may try to use the in-game OCC function (MOOC but for PMCs?) to remind the Goons they are not meant to fight, but this is unlikely to be something I’d do since the incident is actively occurring and the offender may not notice the MOOC.

Because Goon ERTs are intended only to enter the ship, retrieve chems, then leave, thus not actively fight unless a situation is roleplayed enough to warrant it, if I thought there were no staff online or were not able to respond I may intervene if the situation is not resolved by IC means.

If the situation escalated to the other Goons started actively fighting the Marines I’d immediately intervene by putting all Goons to sleep.

From a IC perspective I’d likely do what I could as a ERT to resolve the situation in-game. Such as physically grabbing the SL or putting myself in their way.

If I were pressed to investigate, I’d either contact the person via ahelp to ask them to cease their actions and explain themselves, or if they are still in the process of shooting people AND the situation is unresolvable in-game (maybe its lowpop, or there are no MPs, or they are just killing a lot of people) I’d put them to sleep then contact them.

The person is a SL, but to my knowledge you have no way to influence which ERT role you get outside of a WL Synth, ergo I’d say their status as a SL does not warrant a more harsher punishment akin to if they were a USCM SL.

Personally, I’d considering the situation to be a grief rule break and I may intervene to aheal (assuming mods can do that) anyone who was killed unless there are medical personnel already attending to the dead in quick order.

If the offender was a new player (perhaps they are new and thus thought they were a hostile ERT) I’d strongly stress to them to be more careful in reading what their spawn in text states and issue a warning/note, as well as asking them to review the server rules. Otherwise if the player is not new but has no history of doing this, I’d likely consider a verbal warning, a note and a short to moderate length ban, perhaps a ERT ban if I felt the situation was egregious enough (if you can ban people from chem ERTs I might do that). If the offender has a history, I’d issue a longer ban and a blanket ERT ban.

If other Goons joined the SL in fighting I’d likely issue a verbal warning to whoever joined in, as while they should know better, but from a IC perspective it could be argued they were merely following their leaders direction. Unless their actions were particularly egregious.

I would not punish anyone who defended themselves against the SL.

Good answer, except, you cant do anything if you’re involved, you cant aheal, etc, just ahelp and call on discord if it’s really needed, still a good answer

+1 from your local tmod…

1 Like

Competent, Cool, and fun to talk to. I’d be more than happy to see this man handle things as a moderator.
Unsure how much my +1 means but he’s got it.

Never had a bad interaction with this guy, he’d be a good fit

+1

Heya! So I’ve looked into this application for a while and think I can make a decision.

You dont have that much staffing experience. But considering the fact that you’re relatively note free while playing for a long time does show that you have a pretty good grasp on the rules.
Something that does need some work in my opinion is familiarity with Marine Law. Playing as synth already means that you need a pretty good grip on ML but I do think that it’d be smart to get a few MP rounds under your belt just because ML ahelps are something that come up pretty consistent. And its important for staff to be really familiar with Marine Law and how it should apply in situations.

Anyways I dont think that stuff is too major at all, and its exactly the sort of stuff that the t-mod period is for. I have just about zero qualms with this application so I’m going to be accepting this application.
Make sure your DMs are open and I’ll try to get in touch with you regarding perms and stuff like that!

Added mod:approved and removed mod:waiting