Strain Musings

This is gonna be an idea dump for any strain ideas I come up with! and you can watch me put words in your mouth/argue with myself

WOLF

• “what the fuck is this kid with the furry-ahh name talking about wolves for” hush
  • Strain of Runner!
  • wolves are most known for their pack hunting tactics, so why not take the speediest xeno and make them stronger when there are more of them
  • removing the bone spur and pounce and replacing it with “Howl”
    - Gives an individual buff and a weaker version of this buff to surrounding allies. Something small, maybe slightly better move and attack speed.
    - Buff strength from strongest to weakest goes: Individual > Surrounding Wolf Strains > Non-Wolf strain allies
    - “fox that sounds like dogshit” yeah, however; other Wolf strain runners nearby can also Howl to increase this buff.
    - basically, Howl gets better the more sisters you have howling too. perhaps even adding more buffs aside from the attack+move speed buff the more runners are howling.
    - perhaps at higher levels, may debuff marines?
  • Problems with this
    - xeno pop is much much lower than marine populations. most of the time, a hive can’t spare 2, 3, or 4 spots for some randos to all play a t1 strain and spam the *growl emote constantly
    - the “Wolf” strain will have to be able to stand on its own two (four?) feet to be viable, as well as have the howl buff affect surrounding xenos enough for other players to tolerate yet more runners under their feet

VIPER

• Sentinel strain? ive got much less technical ideas here
  • melees your ranged class
  • drop the spread shot, maybe drop the slowing shot?
  • that neurotoxin sting is cool. what if it was cooler?
  • basically; make the neurotoxin sting damaging and venomous.
    - initial attack deals brute and a lil bit of burn damage. victim is now envenomed
    - As minutes pass, increasingly severe symptoms, toxin damage, and debuffs applied.
    - movespeed slowed, vision range decreases at later levels, toxin and/or organ damage (maybe)
    - perhaps “vulnerability” in the sense of an envenomed marine takes more damage from other attacks.
    - perhaps a higher chance of bleed from regular attacks?
    - eventually pass out
    - its more of a war of attrition kind of thing
    - wouldnt it be cool to encounter a viper while you’re out alone, you scuffle with it and eventually scare it off. you notice you move slower, you can’t see, and even small cuts bleed more than they should. all the while you see this monster out of the corner of your eye. watching. waiting.
  • consecutive stings (maybe we call it bites?) advance the venom stage
  • problems
    - i feel like this might be fucky with balance.
    - like, its gonna be hard to get that sweet spot of having an envenomed status effect actually hinder a marine instead of being a minor annoyance but not having it be completely impossible to deal with
6 Likes

Quite like the idea of some sort of different niche for sentinel although in some ways it already plays a lot like a melee caste and is often more useful than a Spitter

I stopped reading when you started talking about furry wolf runners, but feel free to code it.

unforuntately, i have no idea how to code

If you seriously want any of your ideas put into the server you should learn how to code, it’s honestly not that difficult and all the information/help you’ll ever need is online for free. Will it take time? Yes. Will it not make sense at first? Of course it’s something new everyone goes through the same thing. I can assure you however that no one that took the time to learn how to code is going to take the time to code what you want.

You start with small things like making text changes, adding extra properties to a custom strain you made by just copy pasting another one that someone already made a long time ago. Eventually you end up fixing weird issues and odd lighting bugs simply because you happen to notice them when you play casually.

Interesting ideas and I like the Viper strain name but just seems totally overpowered and anti-fun for marines. At least with boiler it’s fair cause they gotta be in the gas for a good amount of time before they pass out and feel the magic.

1 Like