The First Deployment of an Almayer Marine

"ARES ONLINE"

First words I heard as I got out from my cryo pod. I shook off the cold and watched as the rest of my squad awakened, grapes for life man. With a sigh, I stood up and headed to prep. I just hoped this mission won’t be too bad, I don’t want my first mission on the Alyamar to end with me in the medbay.

I headed to to grab some of those chicken meals, after that I got suited up. Walking to a vendor, I grabbed my standard load out and started to get dressed.

COMMAND ANNOUNCEMENT

“Morning marines, we picked up a distress beacon from the colony on LV-624. Briefing will be in the briefing room at 14:18. All squads and their SL’s are expected to be there.”

“So any guesses at what the call is about?” I asked the guy next to me, think his name is Ursine. He kept gearing up as he answered, “Maybe a comms issue if we’re lucky, UPP or CLF if we’re unlucky, or Bugs if we’re very unlucky.” He grunted out.

“I’ve fought CLF before, not UPP or Xenos.” I admitted to him, hoping that he might give out some advice.

“Ah well UPP is just heavily armored commies and they have big guns, but they suck at fighting since they get no training. Bugs though” he paused, “I’ve seen them take hundreds of bullets and keep on charging, if they grab you just activate your grenade, better that then being taken alive to be used as some egg for them.”

I’ve heard stories about Xenomorphs, hope I never have to fight those freaks. I shook my head as I made my way to briefing. Hopefully my first mission on this ship will go smoothly, after all we marines can’t die that easily.

“Alright everyone remember your orders, Charlie is to fix comms and then after that we’ll join up with Delta and Alpha, simple enough for us to do.” My SL said over comms as we loaded up in the Alamo.

I took a seat in this sardine can we call a drop ship, and felt it shake as we took off from the ship.

I looked around at the faces of the men and women around me. ‘Man everyone here looks tough, crazy, or like a model, I just hope they can fight.’ Not too long I felt the Alamo touch down.

The doors opened as everyone rushed out into the LZ. I quickly went my SL and saw the rest of Charlie with him. “Glad everyone decided to listen to me for once, now comms is located south in engineering, so let’s head there and get it up.”

It was night, pitch black, no power, and only the light from our armor lit the area around us. We easily made our way to engineering, and our Comtechs started to fix the comm tower.

The sight of blood on the way to and around comms put everyone on edge. “SL I found a body!” York the Fireteam Leader shouted down the hallway.

I moved with the SL and covered him as we went to look, and found what was left of the colonist. The SL kneeled besides the body and examined the gaping hole in the man’s chest.

A quick look at the bodies was all that was needed for my SL to know what killed them. “The chest has been bursted from the insides, Xenomorphs then.” The SL sighed and stood up from the corpse.
"York radio CIC and tell them we got a Xenomorph infestation on the planet. Urisne and Alan you two stay here once comms is finished and caded.”

“We can handle it SL.” Urisne responded with confidence, something that seemed easy for him.

Wasn’t too long before comms got working and caded. We said our goodbyes to the rest of the squad as they left, hoping they would come back.
“So Urisne, how’s life?” And well… that was the extent of our conversation with each other for the next twenty minutes. Occasionally it would be interrupted by reports of the front on comms, something that sounded like was going rough for everyone there.

Taking a break from talking, I stared at area outside of the cades. Crazy how this one layer of metal is all that stands between me and death. This thought plagued my mind as I gripped by rifle closer.

“Hey Alan don’t be so worried man, we’re the farthest away from the front that anyone could be!” Ursine reassured me, facing away from his side of the cafes. “Those bugs are smart enough to-.” His words were cut of as a ball of acid smacked into the back of his head.

I couldn’t see him through the gas that was released from the ball, but I could certainly hear him screaming. “Ursine!” I shouted before trying to cover my face as much as I could with my mask. I closed my eyes and sprinted into the gas cloud, trying to ignore the blistering pain that racked my body.

I reached down where I heard Urisne crying out and grabbed him by the arm. I dragged him kicking and screaming out of the cloud. “Ursine hold on! I got some ointment man!” I assured him as I pulled it out of my bag and took his helmet off with some melted skin. His cries of pain were hard to ignore, I couldn’t just let him stay like that.

I applied a whole bottle of ointment across his head, and injected him with my only painkiller shot. “C-call for help!” Ursine cried out despite the pain he must have been in. I nodded and radioed the squad.
“Comms under attack! We need a medic here Ursine is wounded!” I shouted as I picked my rifle and fired shots where the acid ball came from.

I couldn’t see through the dense jungle vines, so I doubted that I actually hit the thing. “I say again! We need help at com-!” I was cut off as the ground shook beneath me, causing me to loose my fall and drop my gun.

A giant red bug looking alien popped out of the ground like it was nothing. I tried to reach out for my rifle, only for the alien to quickly slam its claws right on top of my chest. The weight and force made me feel like ribs crack, and my organs felt like they were crushed. My armor was the only thing that held me together. The pain was the worst that I have felt in my entire life.

“Ghglfkgkd.” I babbled incoherently, I could feel blood move up my lungs and out of my mouth. I was paralyzed and I only saw the night sky as I stared blankly up. The sounds of screaming and dirt being ripped up was quickly met by silence. “Uujssme?” I spat out, I prayed that he was somehow, just somehow still alive. But the sound of absolute nothing was all that met by ears.

I twitched, I shook, I moved my fingers slightly as that was all that I could do. My vision, the sky is so dark tonight, I can’t hear anything, I didn’t do anything. I didn’t………

"ARES ONLINE"

First words I heard as I get out from my cryo pod. I shook off the cold and watched as the rest of my squad awakened. With a sigh, I stood up and headed to prep, just hoped this mission won’t be too bad, I don’t want my first mission on the Alyamar to end with me in the medbay.

I headed to to grab some of those chicken meals, after that I got suited up. Walking to a vendor, I grabbed my standard load out and started to get dressed.

COMMAND ANNOUNCEMENT

“Morning marines, we picked up a distress beacon from the colony on Solaris Ridge. Briefing will be in the Briefing room at 14:18. All squads and their SL’s are expected to be there.”

“So any guesses at what the call is about?” I asked the guy next to me, think his name is Ursine. He kept gearing up as he answered, “Maybe a comms issue if we’re lucky, UPP or CLF if we’re unlucky, or Bugs if we’re very unlucky.” He grunted out.

“I’ve fought CLF before, not UPP or Xenos.” I admitted to him, hoping that he might give out some advice.

“Ah well UPP is just heavily armored commies and they have big guns, but they suck at fighting since they get no training. Bugs though” he paused, “I’ve seen them take hundreds of bullets and keep on charging, if they grab you just activate your grenade, better that then being taken alive to be used as some egg for them.”

I’ve heard stories about Xenomorphs, hope I never have to fight those freaks. I shook my head as I made my way to briefing. Hopefully my first mission on this ship will go smoothly, after all we marines can’t die that easily.

6 Likes