f.ruth#3217

Who is your CM character?
Rick ‘Rubber’ O’Shea

Are you 16 or older?
Yes

Timezone:
GMT

Qualifications:

On average, how many hours are you available to moderate?
Approximately 10 a week.

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
Yes, I was a Game Assistant on Skyrat for almost a year, I retired about four months ago on good terms due to not liking the direction the server was going in. I was also staff on Pariah Station, for the short time it existed.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
IS12 when it’s up. Other than that, I play Goon and Skyrat on occasion, but not actively.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you’ve made:
N/A

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
Not currently.

Have you ever been made for more than 24 hours on CM-SS13?
No.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on any SS13 server?
No.

Are you familiar with Discord?
Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
Yes, more than willing.

Common Situations:

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
I would ensure the shooting was actually random by PMing the marine. Punish if it was not escalated properly. Due to MPs detaining, I wouldn’t impose an IC punishment on top.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
Whitelist issues are for the appropriate council. I would give them a link to the forum reports and inform the pred council.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
I would attempt to solve it ICly, by either helping them myself or calling a SEA if I am in the game. If I’m not in the game I would message them introducing myself and give them basic instructions and a link to the wiki.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member
Warn + note.

A player ahelps that a marine is named ‘John Doe’, how do you deal with this?
I would find ‘John Doe’ and message them explaining the naming rules, and ask him what he would like me to change it to. If he does not supply a reasonable answer I would give him a vague random name that follows the naming rules.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point
IC marine law issue.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
I would double-check the survivor isn’t a CLF survivor. Presuming they are a regular survivor, I would tell them they directly broke rule 2, “Survivors may NOT be hostile unless they have been spawned as hostile survivors (CLF).” I would then note them on the incident. If the marine was unrevivable, I would aheal.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
I would bwoink the MP to check if it’s true. I would then determine if the appropriate time for the actual crime had been served. If it had, I would send a provost fax.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won’t leave the ship, and the aliens won’t attack. What would you do, to “encourage” the sides to engage each other?
Depending on which side is doing better I would QM or HC fax ordering an attack from the superior side.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
I would explain to the CLF member, that even though the round had ended it was not EORG because they were a member of a hostile faction.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
Not acceptable RP. Warn and note, depending on history further punishments may apply.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
Not acceptable RP. Warn and note, depending on history further punishments may apply.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?*
I would explain in MOOC that mutinies have to be admin approved, that this out is inappropriate, and note the mutineers.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it
I would politely ask in LOOC for the racism to be cut out. If it continues, I would escalate by bwoinking the continuing marines, and note them.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
Mass grief. Permaban due to logging out. Instruct them through the ban to appeal through discord/forums. Aheal victims.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
I would message, warn/inform them not to, and note them.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen
Warn and note. Rule 2, xeno roleplay standard.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a “dropship”. A different Xeno player ahelps that it’s low role play to call it a “dropship”.
IC issue.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
Message them informing them that marines do not normally know of a xeno presence on the planet, then note them.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
I would check for if there were other evac pods/xenos actively chasing or attacking. If not, then it comes under exceptional circumstances and is okay.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an ‘idiot’ and a ‘retard’.
I would ask another member of staff to handle it due to my personal involvement.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
IC issue.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
I would inform management.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
Unless requested, I would stay out of it.

Final Details:

Why would you like to become a moderator?
Because I would like to help with the server that I’ve enjoyed so much. I’d like to help improve RP standards, and to increase the amount of fun players have by ensuring people play fairly and enjoyably, and by running fun events.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
A calm demeanor, as without it you can be overwhelmed or enraged by players and make poor judgments.

Anything else you want to add?
I may not be a very well-known player, but I really do enjoy the good side of this community, and I would genuinely like to help make sure everyone else sees how wonderful the community can be.

1 Like

Hi! I’ve taken a decent look at your moderator application and can provide some feedback:
At a glance, your answers are mostly correct, however, they are extremely short, considering how complicated some of the scenarios can be.
Moreover, your recent history is highly questionable, with infractions that raise an eyebrow. Said infractions wouldn’t look good on our team.
Unfortunately, until you can clear those two main issues, I will be downvoting your application. -1

Closing application at applicant’s request.
Please feel free to reply at a later date.
Thank you!

1 Like