USCM Dossier: Duncan Wood

Form USCM-1190A | Enlisted Personnel Dossier | UNCLASSIFIED//For Official Use Only

latest

Bureau of Colonial Marine Corps Records and Personnel

Enlisted Personnel Dossier

Duncan J. Wood

General Information

Full legal name: Duncan Joan Wood

Biological age: 22

Place of birth: Plymouth, Luna, Sol

DoB: 03/20/59

Height: 5’6"

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Hair color: Red

Eye color: Green

Religious preference: Christian (Roman Catholic)

Marital status: Single

Language aptitudes: English (Native), Russian (Fluent), Japanese (Semi-fluent, see DLI section)

Service Record

MoS: 5811-L Military Police (Linguist)

Currently assigned to: 2 Bat. “Falling Falcons”, 3rd Regiment, 4th Combat Division, MSF-3

Previous assignments:

2nd Joint Law Enforcement Training Company, Fort Leonard Wood, MO, USA, Earth, Sol

Corporal Wood was one of a number of Marines involuntarily reclassed as Military Policemen following the recognition of the USCM’s need for POW detention staff with knowledge in a foreign language. Performance in training acceptable, will be filling an open MP billet somewhere in MSF-3 as his current unit has already reclassed the necessary number of linguists. He is on track to be promoted to Sergeant ahead of his peers, and will be promoted before leaving Sol.

USS Anaheim, 3 Bat. "Siren Birds", 2nd Regiment, 3rd Combat Division, MSF-1

Corporal Wood served as one of his assigned vessel’s communications translators, primarily to prevent trajectory conflict between the USS Anaheim and UPP registered vessels operating in or around Earth’s orbit. In addition, him and others in his position frequently engaged the crews of vessels they spoke to in casual conversation. This practice is frowned upon, officially, but often provides the UA intelligence community with valuable information. A partial sample of one of these conversations is included in this document.

United States Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center

Lance Corporal Wood graduated from an 18-month program of near-complete immersion in the Russian language and culture. He has exceeded the requirements of the course and is expected to excel in his duties.

During his time at the DLI, Lance Corporal Wood engaged in a romantic relationship with Lance Corporal Victor Dewitt, a student in the Institute’s Japanese program. The two of them attest to having provided each other instruction on their respective languages. Despite this, neither party is officially accredited in any foreign language except the one they entered the program for. Exercise caution if relying on Lance Corporal Wood to translate Japanese to English ever becomes necessary due to lack of a proper translator available.

Sample Conversation With UPP Spacecraft

D: Corporal Duncan Wood, Russian linguist for the USS Anaheim
U: UPP Contact, later identified as the SSV Kovalev or “Andreyev”
P: Second Lieutenant Perry Lee, Communications Officer for the USS Anaheim and Cpl. Wood’s supervisor

All italicized speech represents English, all non-italicized speech represents Russian.

D: Unidentified Craft, this is USS Anaheim. Please respond. Over.
(Pause of approximately ten seconds)
D: Unidentified Craft, this is USS Anaheim. I do not hear you, please respond. Over.
U: Anaheim, this is SSV Kovalev. Over.
D: You are Andreyev?
U: Negative, this is SSV Kovalev. Over.
D: No, you as in who is talking! You are Andreyev?
(Pause of approximately five seconds)
U: Yes.
D: This is Wood. We talked some days ago, how are you?
U: So it is! I am well, a letter from my family came in this morning. You?
D: I am good. I-
(Indistinct background chatter punctuated by a collision alarm on the USS Anaheim)
P: What the hell is taking so long? You gotta get them on the move!
D: Right- copy.
D: Andrey- SSV Kovalev, you are currently on course to collide with our craft in approximately ten minutes. We are adjusting our course 2.5 degrees to our left, please do the same to your left. Over.
U: Understood, we will comply. Out.

Faction Relations

The following has been collected from various interviews, logs, and recordings of Sergeant Wood’s speech or written word. An effort was made to keep this information as current as possible, but the Bureau of Colonial Marine Corps Records and Personnel cannot guarantee its accuracy.

United States/United Americas/USCM

“Did I ever tell you, uhh, why my dad’s in prison? Fraud, dude. After I enlisted, he lost a buncha tax credits so he tried to pass off our dog as a human child.” “I mean- he’s a good guy, really, he just does dumb stuff like that sometimes.” “He’s happy, though. It’s a state run prison, not one of the money making kinds, so he’s not doing all that bad, uhh… gets out next year, too. Yay…”

“Yeah, I mean, obviously I wish I still had my old job. Being an MP, like, categorically sucks. What’re you gonna do, though?”

“I like to think of myself as, uhh, a pretty good American. I vote and stuff, so…”

Verdict: Supportive inclination likely

Union of Progressive Peoples

“You know, uhh, these Russian guys aren’t all that bad, Sir. They’re pretty cool when you get to talking with them”

(Translated from Russian) “Dude, you’ve never even had American food! You can’t just get on the radio and trash the fellas who invented, uhh… barbecue, like that.”

Verdict: Neutral inclination likely

Three Worlds Empire

(Translated from Japanese) “Hello… esteemed… friends of the military.” (Recorded in English) “Jesus, uhh, I’m pretty sure I butchered that, dude.”

“Do you think those guys have any news reels or, uhh, magazines in Japanese? I could probably trade them an issue of BOOTS or something.”

“Captain, this man isn’t speaking any foreign language. He’s just British.”

Verdict: Neutral inclination likely

Weyland-Yutani Corporation

“I think they get kind of a bad rap, like… they do make planets people can live on, that’s pretty cool.”

“Hey- Could I get, uhh, an MT to the CL’s office, please? We gotta drag him out of there again.”

“They also make, like- water bottles, computers, medicine. I think you’re judging them a little too harshly just 'cause those dudes showed up to take a chemical again.”

Verdict: Supportive inclination likely

This document will not dedicate a full subsection to terrorist organizations operating under the so-called banner of the “Colonial Liberation Front”. Only one quote is necessary to illustrate Sergeant Wood’s thoughts on the matter, taken from a transcript of him interrogating a confirmed CLF militant.

“I mean- you’re not, uhh, like, a for-real soldier, right? More kinda like the type where you blow up a hospital and then you’re like 'No, uh- that hospital was evil ‘cause they bought their equipment from a company instead of making it with a 3D printer in a garage.’”

Opinions of Almayer Personnel

The Provost Marshal Office has seen fit to analyze the way Military Policemen think about other members of their unit, in order to compare it with the way those individuals are treated in terms of application of the law. These short statements assist investigators in determining whether bias may have played a role in a given MP’s actions.

Capt. Bob Cross, Executive Officer: “Everyone thinks he’s a lunatic and- yeah, uhh, he totally is. I can say that, right? These are anonymous? Anyways, sometimes he can actually make it work pretty well.”

1Lt. Nina Steiner, Chief of Military Police: “I am not gonna put those glasses on, she knows as well as I do that’s not how you’re supposed to interpret that section of SOP. I guess she’s ok otherwise, though.”

Mr. Kato Evelyn, Weyland-Yutani Liaison: “This one time he called me all the way up to CIC just to tap me on the head so he could make a point of saying ‘knock on wood’ to everyone in the room. I’ll give it a pass though 'cause, uhh, that’s pretty funny.”

PFC. Gustavo Sybila, Maintenance Technician: “Are we friends? I like to think so, uhh, even though I end up arresting him all the time. I guess we’re all pretty good sports about it though so, like, out of all the guys in charge of keeping the life support and stuff running I think he’s the one I trust the most to do it.”

Additional statements are available on request, and will be sent out within 3 business days of receiving a valid request.

5 Likes