What's the Deal with Geothermal Generators using Fuel Cells

Seems to me that the SHIPSIDE power reactors would use Fuel Cells - given how the power isn’t coming from a natural event a la geothermal activity. Making groundside power both more arduous and slower to repair accomplishes what exactly? Give the MTs something to do topside instead of unloading this trash onto groundside engies.

3 Likes

You see, W-Y actually is using Nuclear generators and marking them off as geothermal generators to justify the price tag to colonies.

2 Likes

In the ancient past of [DATA EXPUNGED] groundside power was a fairly non-event to setup, or was typically just people spamming APCs everywhere and powering them.

So in this distant past a proper power generator was added, which also required maintenance.

So over the course of a decade this weird power generator has had god knows how many changes to how it works and how it operates until we reach today.

This strikes me more as just a issue of lore/roleplay.

1 Like

terrible take - it’s a mechanics/lore issue. Xenos still camp engi/power because on every map they have terrible setups - why jack things up harder with nonsensical bullcrap and make it take more time? It’s brainlet c*der crap - why not use the alleged “geothermal” generators to fill cells for shipside use? We all know why (xenos camp power sites and it tends to determine round outcomes).

1 Like

as an engi main, I like the idea of reinforcing engineering and distributing power to certain parts of the colony, I think that’d be a more interesting way to take this than just more busy work.

Also, what was earlier said, make engineering more defensible if it’s gonna be so important, and maybe also add a delay to the gens becoming damaged by nothing, or make it much faster to repair them after the initial repair so it isn’t so despair inducing.

1 Like

TGMC does this right by making them fuel free but because they are old and shoddy they break often, so every now and again you need to fix a couple of the generators.

1 Like