Why do people hate preds so much and how do you suggest we fix it.

Because theres no PvH rounds, they’re a side schtick. We don’t get to actually recreate any of the cool movie shit.

Idea: use the hardcore ruleset and have a lowpop event PvH,

or alternatively for highpop, have it be “UPP / CLF” attacked the colony and attracted Preds who end up being the BBEG(s)

I enter, waving my cane in the air.
“It’s the lack of RP that’s the problem!”

I’ve had some good RP with preds, and they’re a non-issue with a gaggle of about five other marines, since they don’t want to provoke a fustercluck and worry that one of those five is going to write a HC violation report because they got plasma-casted just for running directly at the predator with a shotgun.

The majority of players who seem to be struggling with predators are marine mains who either haven’t learned to, or do not want to, take the game/predators seriously. Of course when you run off from your squad shouting “JAMAICANS SPOTTED!” “COME KILL THIS JAMAINCAN WIHTH ME!” and proceeding to burst-down a Scout, that predator is under no obligation to actually handle you with respect. Furthermore, the lack of serious revive penalties results in a common loop of

“No, dude, I’m telling you: Don’t run-off.”
“Fuck you! I’m gonna go kill a maicer!”"
(They proceed to get their ass beat, and the predator can’t give them a permanent punishment because 4-5 other marines saturated the air with bullets the moment their guy lost. They are revived.)
“P-p-piece of shit power-r-r-r gamer.”

I think predators are in a fine state as-is. They’re usually fun to watch and do a great job at whittling-down the people I want in my squad the least. I think that the improvement of their place in the game would come with making the game a touch more lethal (defib nerfs, hardcore mode, increased slash/bullet damage for everybody) in general, not only so that gangs going on Pred Hunts can actually get picked-off one by one like the movies, but so that it doesn’t become a ‘chase them and spam bullets so that you can drag anybody who dies back to a medic to repeat the cycle.’ Hopefully, the LRP slang and behavior would crumble away when predators are something to be afraid of, and they share a similar wariness of packs of marines.

Personally i think preds are too fast. You might say but that would make them way esier to kill. To that i say your right that the point. Because preds should be hard to play. You should need to be very skilled to hunt thats the point. The weak die in the hunt and strong live.

I also think this would make people like them more as when they die its not because they where stronger then you or they just ran away and healed. Its because the player was more skilled then you.

TBH, slowing them down but giving them a lurker leap would probably reflect their portrayal in the movies, if not the lore.

2 Likes

Also i think there weird drug does not heal them but its basically pred pcp.

Also there way too bullet spongy. They got stealth, speed, strength, why do they need to be bullet resistant as well.

The veteran preds get more armor. They were portrayed in the movies as much stronger/resilient than humans, (able to take attacks from beno where humans folded to 1 hit) but I think lowering their armor while upping HP pool would be a good choice. Allowing gameplay where they get got by buckshot/slugs or non AP ammo in general given a good chance.

*Edited to English gooder

What might make them better is a sorta sword fighting mechanic. Like if your on the same intent you both block each others melee weapon. That way its more like a duel if you got a melee weapon.

how about no, it’s called footwork and fake runnups

skill issue

Now alternatively having an ability that visually prompts a 2 second block and auto counterattacks if hit when carrying melee - manchette or larger would be interesting

Queens are terrible at 1v1s where they can’t stun their assailant with neuro.

They’re slow, do relatively low amounts of damage, and with the reduction to their armor aren’t that tanky anymore.

Its not just a matter of they won’t. They quite literally can’t win, even if the pred stood still and traded blows with them.

They’ve always been mid in combat (If they can’t land Neuro a Queen is extremely easy to kill) but devs hate combat queens and we’ve been seeing gradual nerfs over the years.

1 Like

QM aHelp might get you free sisters / buffs
if you ask for a mission to kill preds depending on the admeme.

I think everyone got off topic.

It aaaaall come boiling down to the ol’ classic: Roleplay.

Though there’s many restrictions on what a Pred can do, and (SEEMINGLY) medium-to-high standards for getting the WL in the first place- the occasional shitter still manages to slip by, unnoticed. A good example would be a round I had, yesterday- where I had an incredibly decent piece of RP with this one Predator, who was upset that the Marines had apparently desecrated their planet-side temple; and, as I had earlier been in a skirmish with another (by then dead) Predator, it had chosen me to be the first to pay for my fellows’ transgressions. Like, okay, that’s pretty cool. We have an argument, which eventually escalates into a fight. Predator dies.

A few minutes later, I hear talks of another Predator, somewhere nearby. I go there, find it running around at Mach 5 (note that I do not have my weapon out), and as I start to type to try and RP with it a little, it immediately skewers me with a combi-stick, which causes the nearby ungas to jump in, also.

It’s little things like these that chip away at a player’s opinion of Predators, little by little, until hate grows, and I can understand it. There are Predators that join solely for the fragging, and it’s a shame- while the ones that actually try to Roleplay (outside of RP’ing inbetween themselves, or spamming ‘P4TH3T1C!!!’ at Pvt Jim Doe), are now VERY few and far between.

If i remember correctly preds used to be able to make marines into thanes which meant the marine got some pred gear due to their worthiness i personally think we should re add this to give marines a reason to fight preds without getting killed for it or at the very least have the clan leader offer something to the marine who killed the pred like the flintlock at the end of predator 2

1 Like

One time I was surv at secure dome with two others, predator walks up and I act surprised, I hop over the cades to talk to the predator closely and it starts to demand gifts. I offer the dog inside secure dome as a sort of ritualistic gift. Instead, it says p4th3t1c, proceeds to punch me and whip me like three times with his fucking whip.

Im like what the fuck? Im a surv, and it has just given me bleeds and a way too much brute to shrug off. He then throws insults at me, im just like fuck this shit so I go back in. It starts roaring over the cadeline, throwing insults, screaming and laughing while challenging me to a duel while cloaked. (pretty sure this is dishonorable since I offered to use a axe and not a gun). Anyways, I hear marine dropship arrive and seeing as the predator wont leave me alone (waited outside for over 18 minutes to ambush my ass, right around the corner cloaked). I just throw some disrespectful jokes at him.

When marines arrive, they open secure dome and im inside with predator outside. Predator is literally basically begging for a duel at this point, I tell him I have fracture and IB and need to get it fixed, instead this hardass tells me he ‘wont let me leave’ or something on that sorts. I pick up an axe, realising how silly this shit is and tell him if he wants to duel he’ll need me to fix myself, my round is already ruined (not going shipside for 20 minutes for mp search and ib+frac surgery) so I just throw myself at him. He beheads me.

They wont leave you alone, they’ll pick you if you know they can win (in this case weakly armored and immobile survivor with a m16), block doors, refuse treatment, attack you with very little cause, you cannot retaliate against their petty robust appeal bullshit otherwise you give them a “reason” to kill you. It seems like “valid killing” in a sense since they will kill you with ANY technicality they can, and basically force you to act on a fake delusion of having two options, both of them you are fully aware does not result in any normal and unbiased fight. I have been challenged by a predator like 4 times as a survivor, and 0 times as a marine or anything else for a matter of a fact. All of the times I was challenged as a survivor was when I was injured and offered them gifts which they rejected (sometimes its MRE’s, meat, food, or animal)

Valid hunting is cringe,.The only time any of them challange marines is if they themselves are chads who; found a robust solo marine, normal IO, or someone fucking with the pred shack.

I agree with Blue-Lou 2xabove. If a marine wins “honorably” they should get marked with a respect marker allowing them to have pred gear / a reward if Preds come to collect it back

From what i see preds just run up to me and slash me, then they run away. It does not seem to do much damage so i tend to not actively defend myself. I think this is them trying to cause me to fight back so they can fully kill me. One time i was with another guy and two preds started to do this. I said don’t fight back and we ran into a little place. We bot had flamers so we blocked it off. The other guy burned to death due to my poor fire placement. Then i walked outside a little to see if they left. They did not one charged through the fire and killed me. For some reason they picked us up and gave us back to the marines.

I think this cane show the preds can reward you for fighting well even if you lost. It might just have been pity cause that was not much of a fight in the normal sense.

From my own experiences with Predators I can’t say I find it fun at all to interact with them or even ignore them either, It’s gotten to the point where I don’t want anything to do with them outside of having to revive marines when they decide to just kill an entire squad. There really is no good reason to even try to challenge most predator players either, if it even looks like you can win they will run away and heal up to come kill you later or at least try. And if by some shot you do win congrats! You are now likely a target to just be murdered in the name of gear recovery, and if you send anything up to the Almayer you will likely get a good dozen or so people killed. It makes me avoid predators any chance I can even when they walk up and just stab me unprovoked while playing IO and even as a medic.

Playing as a Xeno its even less enjoyable since the only benefit you get and its so very hard to call this a benefit is a predalien, a xeno who’s most notable trait is getting every predator awake at the time to descend on the hive and kill half the hive with the predalien, be it with self destructs or just killing you to get too it. And if by some miracle your predalien survives the endeavor then yeah you might get use out of it assuming the player is any good at it, most of the time though they never survive and are just killed meaning you wasted your time for nothing.

There is no good incentive to interacting with a Predator beyond the microscopic chance you find a Predator who actually wants to engage in a narrative over raising their kill count. And my opinion has only soured moreso watching Predators while spectating rounds, Honorcode violations everywhere and even preds that are clan leaders ignore these rules and even direct commands from staff. I think the Whitelist could do with a good cleanup or purge and be much more strict than it is given how much damage they can and often do cause in a round.

2 Likes

100% This.
I always try to talk to preds even if they just murder me for being not up to their RP standards but it’s just frustrating how little RP comes from a whitelist required to write a character backstory.

1 Like

Just shoot the preds to death you nerds.

Just mobilize the whole hive or squad against the preds, skill issue if you don’t win. Also, preds permakilling random corpses they either find or create should be removed.