Round ID:

Your character name:

Elizabeth Decker

Their BYOND key:

Forest2001

What are you reporting?:

Behavior involving Misconduct

Description of the incident:

After eliminating xenos on the planet and triggering round end, greenos on the ship started attacking marines
Marines piled into the dropship and launched a counterattack against greenos in research
Research got locked down by the researchers so marines broke in using explosives

Greenos were killed, and everything was basically over, for some reason the round had still not ended, and then Forest2001 began handing out EORG bans to all the marines over the breakin and attack on the greenos.

How this should have been handled:
Marine OOC telling marines to stop, or hitting the end round button and restarting the server (there was more than enough time).

This is frankly conduct unbecoming of a staff member. Losing your cool and throwing bans at a bunch of players who think they’re still playing the game and playing the game in good faith and trying to have fun doesn’t engender respect in the community.

I know this won’t go anywhere because of Forest’s position in the admin staff, but maybe we can get better conduct in the future?

Evidence:

https://i.imgur.com/fnRYltR.png (https://files.catbox.moe/h10mvb.png in case it doesn’t load)
SS13 Chat Log (save as .html to desktop and re-open in a browser if you don’t get proper formatting)

2 Likes

You were banned for generating FF logs after all xenos were dead. You were not banned for killing xenos.

This report isn’t about me being banned; more why bans would go out in the first place over the situation to begin with.

1 Like

Can we have ban logs from the round made public?

How many people were banned, and did the greeno players also get EORG bans for instigating the fighting to begin with?

I watched the entire fight from start to finish while ghosted, marines instigated the fight. An OT, engineer and MT blew open the wall to research via the command ladder (the one in the screenshot) and opened fire on xenomorphs because they had falsely heard someone had been attacked by them. It wasn’t until the very end when marines were pouring into research did the greenos actually make any attempt to fight back. Instigation was the marines, not greenos.

1 Like

Don’t forget that ACO never ordered marines to breach research and start killing the research department (which the marines also did although that may have been CMO shooting first though i do think it was the breachers who shot first) along with the greenos.

Thanks, it’s good to get context.

@Blue-Lou We just worked off what we heard, and I don’t have server logs, so I can’t retroactively check to clarify things.

It’s getting a bit off topic from the point of this complaint though, which isn’t entirely the specifics, but banning for a situation that was entirely within the realm of normal gameplay, by an admin who should be at the highest standard of the moderation team. This isn’t the first time we’ve had fun stuff run past the clock - normally it’s not an issue; in the few times it has been, marines were warned in OOC. For some reason in this specific case it was just bans.

You can’t have effective moderation when it’s haphazard like that. Imagine smacking a puppy at random to get it to stop peeing in the house. It’ll never draw the connection. The punishment needs to be consistent and for EORG it isn’t.

I think this is partly an intrinsic problem with EORG bans - they make it too easy to ban on a whim regardless of circumstances which have been consistently pointed out as being a problem, furthermore are not applied consistently to all situations they could apply to, and finally are a ‘feature’ that could easily be replaced by either a consistent system, or one that’s less player-hostile:

• automatically disabling all damage at round end
  • an admin button to disable damage after the round ends
  • automatically banning players for any damage after round ends

How it works right now feels like an anti-player feature. Not created to make things nicer or solve player problems, but just to lash out with the excuse that so and so cluttered the combat log.

No, we’re never going to post other people’s bans publicly. We have an explicit policy not to discuss the punishments of other players.

Xenos are not required to remain friendly and therefore are free to attack at their discretion. Again, you were not banned for fighting with the xenos you were banned for generating FF logs whilst no xenos were alive, which is a very clear example of EORG.

During a conversation I had about this with a friend, he expressed concerns and told me, “If they’re going to be this way, it’s a bad idea to bring it up”. I told him I wasn’t sure how it’d be handled, but I wanted to gain insights into the approach and ethos of the server admins; I was curious about whether there might be an acknowledgement of any oversight, an opportunity for constructive dialogue, or even a willingness to reconsider certain rules.

I genuinely appreciate the time you took to address my concern Forest. I know dealing with these issues is never straightforward, as I’ve been in the exact same situation as you as a server co-host/head admin, I can empathize with having to deal with things like this.

But - while I value the effort put into our discussion, I have to honestly tell you, I don’t feel as though the grievances I brought up were adequately addressed.

However, for me, this situation is still resolved and I have what I wanted out of it.

Thanks for your time.

your report hasn’t been looked at or reviewed yet, that has to be done by @Frozentsbgg due to who you reported. if you’re not interesting in persuing the report further, feel free to withdraw it. if you want a policy change enacted about eorg, you’re in the wrong place and should probably take it to Policy Feedback

Just to follow up on @harryob’s (thank you) point, to ensure this is handed fairly I’ll be investigating the EORG bans.

Typically EORG bans are pretty cut and dry, which is why we suggest you quickly reach out to someone after an accidental one.

That being said, I’ll look into all of the bans and do my best to judge the situation after I’ve gone through the entire logs.

I’ve gone through the entirety of the logs involving this research fight, and looked at the bans attached.

My 2c of the whole situation is:

1. OT placing a breaching charge south of containment and opening fire on research and greens
  2. Some people were shot
  3. More and more marines began to flood research containment
  4. Research threw a grenade back.
  5. marines gotta unga and killed the queen, some staff

My understanding with the EORG bans is that the bans placed were against the marines who continued to action the firefight and continued to shoot researchers, and each other in the aftermath of the OT, engineer and MT taking the initiative to raid (and to an extent grief considering a lack of orders or justifcation) friendly research, these bans were placed after the round had ended. I draw attention to Jean and number of players who weren’t banned for their participation and self-defence in the initial firefight.

No One reached out to Forest as expected to appeal or dispute the ban (as you’re meant to do when you get hit with a EORG ban when the admin might not know the whole circumstances). I’m sure if any accidentally banned individuals communicated with Forrest, he would have lifted the bans if necessary.

Considering this staff Report is against Forrest and isn’t an appeal to lift any note, I’m going to leave it as no action taken.

Just because the Bravo says “KILL THEM ALL” doesn’t mean you should necessarily listen. While sometimes a post-round raid on research is IC, there’s usually a justification and a valid reason other than a few members of the crew wanting to blow up research because they don’t like greeno-s. That didn’t occur here.

Added report:denied and removed report:pendinglogs