Ahana - Moderator Application

Yeah sure say that you’re improving yourself, i dont buy it. I thought the whole point of the MPs is to lessen the burden for admins whenever people commit minor crimes such as breaking windows or marines starting fist fights in the dropship, not create riots, Ahelps, and player reports (made by you or agaisnt you) whenever you were in a round, making more headaches for staff. I can go to the old forums and type “ahana” in the search bar and see atleast 2 pages of staff and player reports, and as recent as, 14 March 2023, i can see you’ve already made another report.

This and the fact that you were previously a moderator for different forums and servers, makes me genuinely believe you are a ragebait who knows their way around rules, being an annoyance without doing anything technically illegal within the rule. You being in the moderator team will just add uneccesary drama.

The whole point of those statements is to show your mentality

(I dont think you’d ever follow this ruling in the staff code of conduct)

I’m not going to respond any further since you really LOVE arguing back and forth with people.

3 Likes

Right so I’m just going to get straight into your answers. Generally they were fine but I do want to point out some things.

While your answer is fine you are also able to leave things as handled ICly, depending on the situation/severity of course, instead of handing out a note/ban as they already received IC consequences for their actions.

Good answer, nothing else to say really.

This is good, but I did want to point out two things. You don’t NEED a SEA to teach a new player, sometimes mentors or other players can teach a new playing in a non SEA role like PFC or something else that they already joined as. The second thing is that you also have some other tools to handle a situation like this as staff. Sometimes there will be situations where mentors can’t help a new player and staff is either too busy or unwilling to join as a SEA to help out ICly. If you yourself aren’t able to help them out ICly for whatever reason you can still give them some basic info via PMs and link them to the marine quickstart guide so they can the info they need from there.

You’re correct about the player not being able to pick and choose staff members to handle stuff. However a mute isn’t really appropriate here. Muting a player in certain channels can be desirable if for example they are salting excessively in deadchat, yelling slurs or something similar. But ideally we dont mute people in adminhelps unless it is a very exceptional situation. That is because people should always be able to get into contact with staff so rulebreaks and such can get handled.
Before taking action it is always good to keep in mind that situations can be frustrating and as the staff member handling a situation there might be players venting that frustration at you. That doesnt mean that you should accept it when players are being excessively toxic towards you but usually pointing it out and possibly warning a player regarding it is enough to get them to adjust their attitude.
If that doenst work and the player keeps being excessively toxic the best course of action is to either note them regarding it or, if it gets really bad or they have previous notes regarding it, escalate it to an appropriate ban.

This answer is good. Do make sure to leave a note though so there is still a paper trail in case this is something they keep doing in the future.

This answer is fine.

Something to note here is that since recently CLF survivors can spawn in and be hostile to the USCM, but if the survivor isn’t a CLF spawn then this is the right response.
Although, and I think this goes without saying, you should still investigate both combat and say logs to see if the survivor did state they were hostile before opening fire.

Right so a couple of things here.
I would leave IC justification for the release of the prisoner via fax if the MP was in the wrong WITH sufficient reasoning to avoid a note (such as OOC circumstances, having to go afk, medical emergency of another prisoner, etc)
While we don’t punish people for having to cryo or leave a round in a situation like this you should still be applying a note. If they’re putting someone in perma and then going afk/leaving for a bit without letting staff know or having another MP handle it then they are still keeping another player locked up in perma who should be released. You should give some context in the note of course, like saying that the player had to go AFK due to IRL stuff, but just in case this starts happening too often it should be noted.
If the MP was clearly wrong regardless of the situation instead of reaching straight for the fax machine you might just want to PM them to fix their fuckup. You have to balance wanting to create RP with a fax with the enjoyment of the game for the player that is wrongly stuck in perma. Since if you’re faxing it might take a while to get noticed, then it still needs to get handled and all that time the person wrongly imprisoned is still stuck in perma.
In regards to the grey area situation you might need to make a ruling on it, especially if you feel that it might be maliciously enforcing a grey area. But if the imprisonment is arguably fine, although a bit unfortunate its good to make sure the person that got tossed in prison knows that they can appeal. And it might be worth sending a provost at some point to untangle it if it got a bit messy ML wise.

But to get back a bit closer to the situation as written in the question. If a MP is tossing someone in perma for taking an attachment from req they OOC action needs to be taken. The MP should get noted and you should make sure that the person wrongly tossed in perma gets the proper charge/released depending on how long they’ve been in there.

This answer is fine-ish. Keep in mind that if xenos aren’t hijacking and marines dont have a large force anymore (Like in the example given) telling the xenos to hijack is almost always the best answer. You can inform them that as long as they hijack the round is a xeno win and that they’re gonna get a larva surge to boost their numbers. If you want to keep things a bit more IC/RP friendly you can give them a QM message along the lines of “The tallhosts are weak and cower in their metal hive, take their bird and slaughter them now while they are weak.” so xenos know that there aren’t many marines left.

Good answer.

This answer is fine enough.

This answer is fine, although you should keep in mind that there are situations where killing someone intentionally is within escalation rules.

This answer is good, although I’d say use MOOC instead of LOOC. Since the MOOC message is a bit larger and disrupts the chat more than a LOOC message. (LOOC messages may also be a bit clogged due to people using it after getting aslept)

This answer is fine, of course it depends on what is actually being said, ultimately it will end up being a judgement call. Do keep in mind our zero tolerance policy in regards to using slurs.

This answer is fine, you’ll get taught the ways we catch multikeyers in staff training. Do remember to aheal the people that got shot if its a case of mass grief. (We have a handy button to aheal everyone in view)

Good answer.

Good answer.

Good answer.

Fine answer.

This answer is alright. Although you should keep in mind that the player might not know that some of the other escape pods are still left since the doors dont have windows, and especially in a situation where for example their cade line just got breached it can be reasonable for them to have missed them.

This seems fine, although if you are applying a mute you should probably also apply a note regarding it.

This answer seems fine, although I dont really understand what you mean by “I would inform them that disconnecting could be manipulated for this in the future.” But thats fine, just inform them that its an IC issue since we dont protect SSD marines from xenos. (We also dont protect SSD xenos from marines btw)

This is fine.

This answer is fine.

This answer seems fine. This is a good situation to pull out the say logs and see who said what when. Something that you should keep in mind is that in this case the CE is acting as Commander so they wont need approval from any heads of department for modifications.

You’re correct on ruling that this isn’t griefing on the side of the marine. You should however still look into why the MP got into a situation where they could get captured. Were they just outside of FOB and did an unfortunate group of backliners show up? Or did the MP run straight into a marine retreat and decide to, instead of breaking off back to the FOB, chase the marine right into the xeno push. Because if the MP chased the marine into a place where they knew xenos would be, then they might need to be given a note/ban.

You’re correct in ruling it as an IC issue no OOC action needs to be taken here. And giving the XO the suggestion of deputizing someone is good. What you should keep in mind is that the fact that mess tech is a limited role doesn’t raise the standards for RP per se. That would only matter if the mess tech is wasting the slot by not playing the role, for example if they deployed groundside to fight as a PFC. But considering the mess tech is doing something that very much fits within the role there aren’t any issues here.

Now that sure was a big section for discussing your answers. Generally they were fine and I don’t see anything that is too bad. We have training for a reason to work out any kinks, and observing other staff should also help with getting more familiar with our protocols.

Now to move on to the rest of your application and my opinion on it.
You’ve been note free for a while now, so that is a good sign. The only real concern here would be the bans that you received previously.
While some people are concerned with the metacomms ban you have received a long time ago I don’t really think its relevant. It’s from a really long time ago I don’t really see it as an indication of your current conduct. And besides that we have had fantastic staff members with horrible note/ban histories. (As an example, during my tmod training I was trained to find multikeyers by looking into ban evasion that a staff member did waaaay before they became staff.)
The MP jobban that you received is a bit concerning, especially the fact that you received a jobban from MP again not long after appealing your first jobban. Staff members are expected to have a pretty good knowledge of ML and its application ICly along with when MP stuff breaks OOC rules.
I do not think this is a deal breaker however, perhaps a bit of extra time spent on ML during training would be appropriate. And if your trainer believes that you’re not well versed enough in how to staff ML situations your tmod-ship can be extended or it can be decided that you have failed as a tmod if you’re not improving enough regarding it.

Now to address your reputation and the opinion of the community. I will put it very bluntly, staff applications are not a popularity contest.
While having a positive relation with the community is desirable it is not what makes someone a good or bad pick for staff. Drama caused by accepting someone as a staff member isn’t something I take into account too much when considering if someone would make a good staff member, and I’m not planning on taking it heavily into account here either.

My OOC interactions with you have been pleasant, both in an enforcement role and when I’m not doing staff stuff. You can be argumentative in regards to possible rulebreaks, but not in a disrespectful or otherwise worrying way. And in the end you will respect staff decisions regarding a situation.

Now there ARE other things that I do find concerning and that I think are worth mentioning.

In my eyes de-escalation is an important part of staffing. That not only means calming down frustrated people but also knowing the kind of things you shouldn’t be saying since they might just frustrate someone more or knowing when to bite your tongue and simply not say anything.
While I don’t think you’re rage bait or anything like that I do see you being consistently bad at de-escalating situations. Whether you intentionally don’t de-escalate or are just plain bad at it doesn’t really matter to me. I would just like to see improvement regarding this.

While tying into my previous point a bit I am going to separate this out since I think it is worth mentioning separately.

This in my eyes is not something a staff member, or an aspiring staff member, should be saying.
It is consistent with how you sometimes engage with people who aren’t being nice to you.
While shit-flinging isn’t something that is against server rules in my eyes it very much isn’t appropriate for a staff member to be engaging in. Its pretty blunt to say but I expect better than that from staff, so that also applies to aspiring staff members.

I’m gonna be writing a neat little conclusion regarding your application now.
Your answers were good enough but there is a tiny bit of room for improvement. I can see that you want to be a staff member and I see some potential.
If you’re willing and able to work on the things that I mentioned before I might be convinced to give a future application my support but I don’t think I can support this application right now. So I will be giving it a -1.
I am going to be thanking you again for applying for moderator and wishing you the best of luck with this application and any applications you might make in the future.

(I’m also willing to reward anyone who can teach me how to format replies on this new forum better. Because right now I cant even flippin leave two empty lines between two sections of text no matter now many times I press enter.)

3 Likes

You understand our rules and will be able to enforce them. I’ve sat down and had regular conversations with you like our past history of bad blood never even existed. I’ve helped you and defended you because you’re another one of our community members just the same. You know our rules and I have no doubt you would be able to discipline players to maintain our community expectations. But I have almost zero faith that you would be able to uphold our Code of Conduct to our expectations.

• Remain unbiased
  • Remain professional
  • Preserve RP and server enjoyment

While you have demonstrated that you are proficient in understanding and applying the rules and expectations to our server, I have seen the same, if not more, of you failing to be able to do well with these in mind. I’ve witnessed you break down under pressure numerous times and make biased decisions based on your frustrations. I’ve watched you play Military Police many times and you’ve bent Marine Law in YOUR favor so you can proceed with arrests but hardly done vice versa to help someone else’s case. I’ve watched you play XO many times and not once have I seen you treat the role like it isn’t a means-to-an-end. As CMO, I’ve never seen you try to roleplay and get to know your staff and chemline regulars.

But everyone ultimately has their own way of playing, so I’ll give you that. But what really strikes me is this: you are the MP I’ve had to observe the most, speak to the most, and who I hear about the most, yet I have never heard about you even giving a helping hand to anyone on the server. To add onto that, you are one of the contributors to why we had to add malicious compliance into Marine Law. Many in the community hold you in low regard, so the fact you want to be its representative when you can’t even go into the maincord without a bodyguard strikes me as nothing but bizarre.

I accept you as a community member. I’d always treat you like an equal. I’d walk brimstone to defend you in our discord. But I won’t accept having you in staff. I have zero faith that you would make positive improvements for our community. It starts before you enter staff, not as you are one.

5 Likes

Well your answers are good, and you seem like you would be an active member of staff, I worry about your community image.

Even if (unlike your conduct as mp) were reasonable, or even lenient in your punishments, I think due to the strong negative feeling a lot of people in the community have for you, they would staff report. Staff reports are a lot of work. Staff has to pull logs, then look through the evidence and make a decision. I think having you on the team could be more effort than it is worth.

As such I would recommend, as some others have, that you spend some time as a mentor to make people feel like you care about the community first before applying to moderator.

2 Likes

I can uphold the code of conduct without issue.

I can absolutely remain unbiased. I do not hold a grudge against people. I’m not going to enforce rules on anyone harder than anyone else. You can look at the recent PR against me - I am more than willing to put differences aside and treat people equally. You even help prove this:

You’ve made multiple PRs against me. You’ve thrown me in brig before. I literally do not care. It’s in the past, and it wont help anyone and it’s not going to make me drag anybody else down over things that don’t matter. If someone acts against me, or they don’t like me, or whatever, I’m not gonna treat them any differently.

I’ve always remained professional in tickets, in DMs, or when speaking to and from staff. I have tons of experience on this end. I would do the same for players in a formal standpoint. I have been insistently respectful of everyone inside of tickets, and done my best to comply in them.

I think my answers are very indicative of this. OOC sanctions are a last resort/if necessary option for me. For the roleplaying portion, everyone else so far has vouched for my capabilities to immerse, and I think I have done a very well job keeping my RP MRP to HRP.

I would like to just use this section as a generalized response before moving onto the rest: I’m playing a character, not an OOC moderation force. Because I’m playing a character, of course they are going to get frustrated and such.

Yes, this happened before. I got hit with a ban for it almost 5 months ago. I appealed it and it has not been an issue since. I also want to point out that processing as an MP is a time crunch in which you have to type a paragraph (or more) JAS summary depending on what the person did, dress them in a uniform, read them their rights, search them for contraband, and put them into a cell in a goal of less than two minutes. I can only do so much so fast so I act with what I can ICly and get them moving.

I’m not sure what you’re inferring with this part; please elaborate.

I usually play lowpop CMO, so there’s not always a chance to. Otherwise, I’m in research constantly roleplaying with researchers, or giving doctors new things to do and keep them on their feet. Chemline is a rush; I’m not sure why you’re upset about that. The chemline meta is to get medics ready for deployment ASAP, and sometimes they even miss first drop from it. If I act against this, it probably will lead to slaps from people higher up in CIC.

Genuinely, please elaborate what has happened recently. I have only been spoken to by you via ticket one time, and you issued a warning which was removed via staff report. I have improved vastly over the last, what, six months?

Staff are not even required in that Discord. I also don’t walk into the Discord with a bodyguard.

Please offer constructive criticism, then. You say I do all of this wrong, to which I dispute, but what do you want me to do that would make it right? And what was something you did before entering that that was a positive improvement to the community, what is that something that I could do as well?

2 Likes

Everyone deserves a fair chance at an application as anyone else. In order to ensure this I have gone ahead and deleted a few comments that go offtopic or are offensive in nature.

Please keep replies cordial and appropriate.

EDIT: removed the last section posted by user as it was inflammatory/not needed.

I’ll add my two cents here.

I don’t think there’s anything I can say that hasn’t already been said: your answers are acceptable and in places exemplary; you show a keen understanding of our rules, of ML, and of SoP; you clearly show interest in being staff and I do not doubt that you put effort and care into forming this application.

Thank you for your application and the time you spent answering the questions.

Despite all these good things I have to say about your application the main issue here (as addressed by others) is how you conduct yourself within the community.

I think Clairion’s point is most potent, you very clearly struggle with de-escalation and are quick to respond as good as you get.

While for certain situations, and for certain people, responding with a swift ban hammer and a quick remark is the only thing that will get them to change, it should never be your default. As staff we should always look for ways to de-escalate the situation first, to resolve it as close as we can to the rules, with as little force necessary.

I do not doubt that you would enforce rules within the letter to the exact punishment set out in our internal guidelines. Iif you made a future application after showing that you either get better at avoiding conflict, or de-escalating conflict I would reconsider my stance.

I am giving your application a -1 for now as I do not believe currently that you are good at avoiding or de-escalating conflict. I am personally aware of how toxic and targeted the community can be, I am also personally aware how tempting it is to fling shit back, and how sometimes doing so can be the right move. But always flinging stuff back can’t be your default.

You have made appropriate moves in the discord already I would like to see you continue this, my advice for your future application is:

When conflicts arise in the community that you are the target of, or involved in, please ping discord staff, and then mute the server.

Please apply to mentor, I would like to see you explore your teaching side more.

In game if tense situations involving grief, ML, or other toxicity arise, please ahelp the situation.

I don’t think anyone in staff wants you to, or would ask you to, take the level of toxicity you have taken on the chin with no action. But we would like to see your reaction to that toxicity be more productive. We’re here to help, show us that your default is to ask for help and I’m sure many more staff will be happier to +1 any future applications.

alright so, after skimming over this post im gonna say im fine with you joining staff and having another person who knows marine law while being pretty strict would be nice, overall my only concern is the level of toxicity you get from the community but i have no issue in you being part of the staff team

+1

I think that you are someone who’s incredibly sharp and definitely knows how to follow dictated guidelines. You also show an incredibly strong ability at scuffing off insults that are thrown at you to a much higher degree than others. It’s clear that your reading capabilities are on point and that you can defend your arguments well.

Sadly, I’ve witnessed too much of you playing in bad faith against others. Backing that argument with your numerous bans and warn over said action, It is in my belief that you often choose to bring forward your own enjoyment at the sake of the people around you, which at the end of the day have all the same goal (having fun on one of the most niche game you can find by luck) as you. After witnessing how easy it is to toe the “it’s in the rules” line, I believe that if someone with your cunning abilities was to use their staff power in a malicious way it would be a headache and a nightmare to solve.

I’m in the opinion that your addition to the staff team would be unhealthy for the already bad separation the playerbase often complains about in this current state. I’d like to see your reputation healed up a bit before seeing you gaining moderation powers. -1

8 Likes

Here’s a couple questions I’ll throw your way to gauge things on:

• You are the only moderator online, while playing as an MP you are in the middle of an arrest/processing for a minor (but semi-violent) crime. During this an ahelp comes in that claims “I was griefed, this guy shot me and then ran away.” A quick glance at the combat logs show that the situation is much more complex than that and will likely take time to unravel. What do you do and why.
  • You notice a player is behaving oddly, a large volume of LRP chat and otherwise slow to react to things around them. You send them a bwoink for specific LRP language but they do not reply even after a second prompting, what do you do?
  • The CL has pulled several marines aside and has them signing paperwork to leave the USCM and join the W-Y Whiteguard program as PMCs. The discussion among them is that they’re preparing to usurp the XO who is the current aCO at some point. While on their own one of the marines is talking to the others about how they’re looking forward to blasting the XO and being done with things once and for all. What intervention do you take?
  • You are playing CMP, while simply waiting at briefing a player who feels they are the height of RP walks up to you and PBs you with a shotgun and you’re out. What are your immediate actions?

So the reality of the situation is that you have a significant reputation. Whether that’s IC or OOC by your intent or not is largely irrelevant. Given the nature of how the playerbase interacts with said things, it -will- absolutely color many of the ahelps you take simply on the basis of name alone. While I think you have the capacity to run rule enforcement well, I think in fairness you should understand the extreme scrutiny you’d be under both from staff and players for effectively any action you take, given your reputation. While I do believe in second chances (and if the discord history of some of our emoji reactors on these posts holds up, so do they) I think its going to be an absolutely uphill battle for you if you get selected for this.

2 Likes

Everyone has touched on the main stuff that I would have asked. I’m not gonna go dive into that cause it’s been beaten to death at this point. Your community rep is in the gutter for the actions you committed (some it true other stuff people just making up.) My main concern is how you handled the questions above with some degree of passive aggressiveness, epically Dadmans questions (maybe not or maybe so, but it’s coming off as that). I don’t want to be personally responding to an ahelp when the moderator has an attitude like the response above.

I’ll give a fresh overview no one else has really touched on. Your XO stuff from my viewpoint:

Decent RP, you know your way around roleplaying and could host some interesting stuff.
Understanding of the game mechanics, you’ve got them down, but your overall command needs improvement. I’m talking about relaying orders, delegation, keeping up with the round, and not being passive aggressive in game to people that don’t take your suggestions.
The Dreven munity that wasn’t long ago and was an absolute dumpster fire on your part.
My own experiences with you being poor while you’re second in command and I’m the CO. (for your sake I’m not gonna mention them)

People think staff are here to enforce rules and maintain the server, while that is true it’s not the only reason they do it. They volunteer their time for a community they’re passionate about to make it a better place. What I’ve seen in the past and in your app responses alone does not show any drive to do so. The only thing you’ve contributed to the community is getting a bad faith MP rule being added because of your past actions.

I’ve also never seen you apologize for your past action besides when someone makes you which is a big red flag for me personally. Lack of integrity

Passing time doesn’t mean you’ve changed. I’ve seen you chill out in game, but you still toe the line. You’re applying for a position that’s meant to be the example to players. Toeing the line isn’t the example.

Honest criticism to have a better chance next time:
Leave the MP discord
Maybe just try to go lighter on in game punishments
Play other roles besides command and MP roles (with a character everyone knows)
Get the rep up in the community (up to you but I highly suggest just playing PFC)
Apply for a WL
Apologize for past infractions instead of brushing them off
Go to the gym if you don’t already (helped me personally chill out a lot and just makes my day better)
Fix your problems before applying. I’m talking about your behavior. A person applying shouldn’t be saying “I’ll try to improve my MP behavior”. They should already have that done if they’re going to be welding the ban hammer

Everything above is a suggestion. Take it or leave it I guess

3 Likes

I would prefer to not let OOC duties impact how I perform ICly, so first I would see if anyone can get online at the moment to help resolve the situation. I’m not sure how staff requesting help works here, as I’d have to learn that in my training, but if not, I’d work out IC solutions to get myself free to handle the ahelp (or if no one will be able to respond in a reasonable amount of time).

So, if it’s a minor crime, I can always ignore it (unless it’s ordered), and get back to it later. If it’s ordered, then I would ask another MP to take over processing/handling the arrest and inform them I need to be SSD for a moment after giving any testimony I need to.

During this, I would respond to the player and state that all staff online are currently preoccupied and will be with them, and I’d be with them as soon as I can (or another staff member can), and to please give their side of the story. I’d also PM the shooter and ask for the same thing.

I’d leave the ticket back open to claim until I get free (in case another member of staff comes and is able to handle it), otherwise, I’d be handling it once I break away temporarily.

This player is showing signs of some sort of inebriation. This doesn’t change how policy is enforced, but it’s something to keep in mind. There’s no way to prove it short of admission, so it’s just something to keep an eye on.

After the second prompt, I would temporarily asleep them until they respond. If they do respond:

• I would ask what was up, and if everything was okay and they’re clear of mind.
    *If they’re not, I would offer to cryo them.
  • I would notify them that they are breach of rule 2 and pull out some of the examples of LRP.
  • I would note/follow escalation policy as needed. I would also provide context to what was going on. In this specific case, I would mention that they were slow to respond to things in their environment and to the ticket itself.

If they did not respond after a reasonable amount of time, I would follow through with the note, providing the same context that they were slow to react to anything in their enviroment, however they never responded when asked in the ticket. I would also monitor for a disconnect, and cryo them if/when they do so (would also make it noted if they do so).

I would observe this situation first to see what was going on. As their “leader,” I would hope the Liaison puts an end to it. If for whatever reason they do not, I would follow the same steps as I would with an unauthorized mutiny. I would first LOOC that mutinies have to be authorized by administration to be carried out, and if they continued to do so without authorization, sanctions would be placed. This specific margin seems almost positively unlikely to be authorized unless it’s some sort of event, or extreme undermining circumstances that would probably be met with a ticket anyways. My goal is to prevent any sanctions from needing to be placed by guiding them in the right direction.

To follow up with this, however, I would employ IC interception as well to discourage it further, by thanking the Liaison for the contracts, but to send the to-be recruits to the operation as to not dislodge WY-USCM relations and to improve its outcome, etc.

While I believe the one on his own looking forward to mutiny seems… odd, I don’t believe it’s an outright rule break so I wouldn’t go for any extra sanctions towards them, unless leaders needed to be punished. Depending on what happened (if anything), I would take it into consideration.

I don’t know if I’m missing something by “a player who feels they are the height of RP” but… I would just make a ticket? This doesn’t have any extraordinary circumstances like mass grief or anything, so there’s not really a reason I should be handling anything involved with myself.

My goal wasn’t to be passive-aggressive. It was to rebut the statements he gave and try to prove otherwise.

This was in November, almost 6 months ago. I don’t want to bring up and stir the old pot but I already said the IE was not my intention and I was not supportive of it.

I did my best to work things out with you, but you told me to just leave you alone stating " Again don’t bother me unless you have an actual problem," so I stopped playing in CIC if I knew you were on because I didn’t want to ignite anymore conflict with you. I tried to work alongside you to show improvement, and if you’re willing to in the future, I do not mind trying to do so again.

I put a couple of hours into the application, and it’s ten pages in google documents. I don’t know what specifically you want me to change here, so please let me know.

I was never even invited.

I issue many warnings and as many NJPs as I can. I can DM you evidence if you want because I don’t want to flame other people.

I play squad/aux support roles, and researcher.

I made some drafts to do so but ultimately I stopped after I saw a councillor state that they would prevent me at any chance they could from getting one, no matter what. It was disheartening to see considering I was not even speaking to them at the time. It’s discouraged me from applying to anything and it’ll probably be a while before I apply for a whitelist.

1 Like

Right I’m sorry about the MP cord, I thought you were in it.

Final line:

If you can’t even get a WL due to low support from the community, you should not be applying for a staff position

My honest recommendation would be to close this app, even if you have a high chance of being accepted. You know right now the status you’re in, being accepted is not going to help the staff team and it will grow the division between players and staff. It’s going to create more of a toxic community. If you really want to give back to the community, you have some serious work to do before trying to get staff

Again take my criticism or don’t. Just reflect a bit before you hammer away more responses.

Don’t bother responding to my stuff, I’m not a staff member and I don’t really care that much.

2 Likes

This player is showing signs of some sort of inebriation. This doesn’t change how policy is enforced, but it’s something to keep in mind. There’s no way to prove it short of admission, so it’s just something to keep an eye on.
After the second prompt, I would temporarily asleep them until they respond. If they do respond:
I would ask what was up, and if everything was okay and they’re clear of mind.
*If they’re not, I would offer to cryo them.
I would notify them that they are breach of rule 2 and pull out some of the examples of LRP.
I would note/follow escalation policy as needed. I would also provide context to what was going on. In this specific case, I would mention that they were slow to respond to things in their environment and to the ticket itself.
If they did not respond after a reasonable amount of time, I would follow through with the note, providing the same context that they were slow to react to anything in their enviroment, however they never responded when asked in the ticket. I would also monitor for a disconnect, and cryo them if/when they do so (would also make it noted if they do so).

Answers are good with the exception of the above. This is something you may not see/grasp until you’ve dealt with it first hand and have ground experience. The cards-to-my-chest reveal on this question is that they’re a brand new player to the server. A common occurrence for players who are new when they get bwoinked is that they have no idea how to reply to someone who is not immediately in front of them. New players typically standout both when they seem very unfamiliar with the server rules (as most of them don’t bother reading them) as well as their played game hours are very low. A good chunk of rule enforcement is also about knowing where and when to apply certain punishments based on how new the player is and how likely they are to know they’re breaking the rules. In cases where someone doesnt respond it’s typical that a staff member offers them a “If you’re unsure how to reply to this message you can click my name in this one to reply.” and 9 times out of 10 you’ll get a very quick response that puts you back to where you wanted to be. SS13 is many things, but straight forward and intuitive for new players it is not.

As for everyone else, dragging baseless claims in here that you have to apologize for after the fact on someone else’s application really doesn’t add anything to this process. I would ask that any sort of grudge posts be limited to actually investigating Ahana’s suitability rather than grievance-posting out of misdirected spite.

1 Like

Hi there! Thank you for your application to join the CM Moderation Team!

Overall, your answers are solid, even in the cases where the outcome didn’t mesh with our current rules, I do think you demonstrated a good understanding of the process of investigating and resolving issues in-game. I do see a tendency to have some blind spots about how some of the rules work. Clarion posted an excellent breakdown on your answers which points out the things that need to be addressed in that area.

I have seem a lot of feedback from people commenting about getting along within the community. Popularity is not a factor in staff apps, and to try to create blocks for people applying for WL/Staff positions because you dislike them is a rule break.

That said, how applicants conduct and present themselves is a factor. I believe that people can move past past issues, and when they’ve demonstrated that, they should have opportunities to move forward. But that is something that you need to have done before joining staff.

2 Likes