camera ear piece

simple its a helmet camera the goes in the ear slot that allows people to wear hats as SL

6 Likes

Started, but never got around to finishing it. M5 Camera Gear by realforest2001 · Pull Request #5513 · cmss13-devs/cmss13 · GitHub

9 Likes

A decapped and/or dead SL is a wasted slot which now means someone who didn’t ask to be SL in the first place now needs to do your job because of style points.

It feels hyperbolic, but really does have the same feeling as leaving the Pyro spec’s armor back on the ship or making some kind of medic backpack so that other people can grab pills out of your inventory so you don’t need to bother.

3 Likes

job description of ftl, spec, sg mentions “lead squad if needed”

10 Likes

If a SL doesn’t want to wear a helmet, they simply won’t and do not lol

At least this way CIC can get something useful from them.

9 Likes

not really? if a SL is getting Decapped chances are they were already going to be Perma, and yes I want to rock a fucking beret and lead my deltards into battle arty is that too much too ask

4 Likes

There is a notable difference between someone picking “Squad Leader” from roundstart with the understanding that the role of a squad leader is to lead a squad before being automatically equipped with an upgraded helmet to encourage you to wear it amongst other important leadership tools . . . and a bunch of other people not named “squad leader” that aren’t granted or may not have access to the same tools, and literally don’t even have a point of leadership as a skill. Sure they can expect to be put in charge if something happens to the Chain of Command, but that doesn’t mean the CO is clear to act like a jackass because the CMO is expected to take-up command if something happens.

Also, prove me wrong, but I couldn’t find anywhere on the wiki for Spec or SG that they’re intended to be back-up SLs, anymore than they technically have a higher rank than PFCs: just like Corpsmen and Commtechs.

I don’t see why finding a way to let someone get out of a major expectation of their role is conducive to a good, team-based roleplaying game. There’s an expectation that you play your roles, and a SL who doesn’t wear their uniform as ordered is grounds to be banned from the role: not coddled like the main character that we all know they are.

I could understand if it were some fucky mechanical thing like a storage unit not being able to reasonably carry important pieces of kit for a role, or if it directly conflicted with the mechanics of some other equipment . . . but the argument is just “I want to play one of four of these positions in the entire server, and take an aesthetic option that makes it easier to permanently cripple my team for the rest of the round.”

Should we let SOs fire autoinjectors from orbit because it’s okay for a medic to not do their job, and just pass the buck on to someone else? If the smart harness is hurting someone’s aesthetic, should we just let them strap the smartgun to any armor set they feel like? Why would we let the one who’s supposed to be a model soldier and experienced warrior walk around with “roundend me” written on their forehead just because they don’t want to play ball?

3 Likes

be sergeant whos not wearing a helmet; evidently a veteran who survived multiple operations without a helmet; evidently still has head attached to the body after multiple said operations.
Nobody is asking you to let anyone do anything because you have no authority on these matters. SLs are already forced to wear helmets if ordered by superiors. There is a soft restriction on SLs in all matters in regards to following orders.

irrelevant in most actual combat scenarios

which an addition of a helmetless camera would help helmetless SLs achieve because now CIC can see what they are doing.

yeah that sounds unfortunate if only there were any provisions that if modified would let mps solve this ic issue by arresting the said individual for being out of uniform

many words zero substance

9 Likes

At least one CO does not wear a helmet while actively leading the frontline, if the people who are held up to the highest standards are allowed to ditch a helmet, why should squad leaders be forced to wear one?

If they get beheaded, so be it, that’s the risk they take and having your SL/CO beheaded feels a lot different than just having him be killed and then revived in an endless cycle.

People who ALREADY ditch helmets will continue doing so, now however they can be overwatched by CIC if this were added.

Will this increase the amount of people who go helmet-less as SL or other roles? Probably.
Does it matter? No.

11 Likes

Sergeant Apone litearlly wears a ball cap in the movie like a fucking badass. Are we saying that he should not be the platonic ideal for a kickass marine SL? Gorman can still see through his camera feed too iirc

7 Likes

Here’s a photo of the greatest Smartgunner ever:Vasquez

Huh but how does command view her in that one scene if she doesn’t have a helmet? oh yeah because the cam is in her headset.

Also: for the M5

6 Likes

You should honestly just stop trying to curtail how people play to this degree.
As long as it isn’t meta-gaming, giving an unfair advantage or a bug then who cares

If an SL doesn’t want to wear a helmet, and they’re not ordered to then who cares? Let people do what they want, it’s a game and you shouldn’t be trying to micro how people play it even if it’s just a tiny aesthetic choice.

5 Likes

Clown takes up in here.

1 Like

“You should be banned for not wearing a helmet as SL,” is a wild take.

7 Likes

I respect the butt naked SL who SCREAMS at me and orders me to give my life so my children can work minimum wage slave jobs for trillionaire Beff Jezos XIV in the american dream more than some helmet wearing mute baldie

4 Likes

Yet they are punished for SSDing. And they are punished for not obeying direct orders (in OOC way). And they are punished for playing PFC+ and not leading.
There is actually a fuckton ways that roles above PFC are not let to play how they want.
Be the heccking cool corpsman who doesn’t take defib, we will see how long such unique playstyle will let you survive without a note.

5 Likes

bro it’s just a helmet lmao

1 Like

Equating a defib to a helmet is a bit of a stretch man. A helmet doesn’t even guarantee the dude will die to decaps every time. Just look at John rock. He only gets recapped like 1/10 rounds, and he is bald af.

3 Likes

Mate, no one is punished for going SSD.

If someone reports you, it’ll be investigated.

If you’re believed to have a habit of rage quitting then you’re clearly not responsible enough to be an SL. If you had to go for legit reasons, then no one cares, it happens. This is all if you get reported for going SSD anyway which is highly unlikely

As an SL you’re not really punished for disobeying orders unless you’re directly reported for it as well and that’s only if you don’t have a valid reason to disobey. You’re stretching hard and acting like there are not a lot more variables to the issues you’re providing.

A medic not taking defib, is a medic actively not taking essential equipment that is important for their position in the squad, a SL doesn’t need a helmet to do his job and lead his men. Those 2 things are not comparable.

5 Likes

The people making wild takes need to find god and actually touch grass. The internet is not real life.

6 Likes