Cinematic Mode: Permadeath

Cinematic Mode:

• Adds an option to enable a permadeath run for a character whereby if the character permas during an operation they are fully gone and can no longer be played.
  • To entice someone who isn’t a masochist to enable this I have devised that characters who have permadeath toggled can be promoted up to a reasonable level (No Private to General story here).
  • In order to calculate how one would be promoted it is imperative to record how many operations (rounds) they have survived and base the promotions off of those. This will nicely provide the dopamine hit required while also alleviating the original issues with the idea of promoting someone with playtime previously.

Setup character should have the below:

• Permadeath toggle that only takes effect on the currently loaded character.
  • Display of operations survived

Features Gained from discussion:

• Recording playtime of perma character and basing their promotion of that. (Also means that the coding job is a lot easier.)
  • If you die in your first operation you’re allowed to keep using that character until you reach your second.
  • Ribbons (like PT-medals) apply to the uniform and perma characters start with a ribbon (white or maybe green? which designates that they have passed training). Promotions change the ribbon colour or add a line each time?
  • Periodic permadeath dead character name wipes so we do not end up in a situation where players are struggling to make characters and it also allows for players to refresh.

Have fun surviving!
the gang

14 Likes

How many operations would it take to get promoted?

4 Likes

Three or Four operations, though I have to say I am really not too attached to any number so the community as a whole is probably worth having a think through it. (I just want it to be enough of a challenge that its fun but not impossible or too easy, the goldilocks option.)

Something to add onto this though is that I do think higher ranks should progressively require more rounds.

4 Likes
How many operations (rounds) survived should provide the first promotion
  • 2 Operations
  • 3 Operations
  • 4 Operations
0 voters
6 Likes

This seems like an actual awesome idea that could expand a lot the RP Environment, actually having stories between other permadeath characters, how many they killed, remembering old ops, friends that they lost on the way, etc.
I think problems would start happening after a week as names would become extremely limited, or the permadeath character seeing the normal guy for the 9th time (I guess you can just RP it as never seeing the guy before idk, so a way to tell between perma or not should be needed)
Thought now that I think, maybe if you die in your first run of permadeath you’re still allowed to use that same character until you reach operation 2 and then it begins counting after it. Monthly wipes could be done too and then there’s a permadeath ranking :trol
Also I think it should be playtime instead of rounds played since we have a lot of 30 minute rounds that either end in marine victory or xeno one :'D

5 Likes

In one of the various CM manuals they mention about not wearing medals and instead wearing ribbons, so I would envision that perma characters start with a ribbon that can be applied which is (white?) and then it goes up in the relevant colours eahc promotion.

I think your correct in that if we introduce this system without periodic wipes it essentially becomes impossible to create a character after a certain point. So I think periodic wipes would be good which you do mention down below as being each month and to be honest I agree with that timeframe.

Would make sense so that the player can at least get a taste of dopamine before losing it all.

Thinking further on it I think that playtime would be the better option, especially considering latejoining would be a potential issue. Though I think it would be neat to have the operation list anyway.

7 Likes

This could be extremely interesting. I always wondered what would happen if you had a soft reset so characters and thus players could get to know eachother more.

5 Likes

This makes fear RP most justifiable haha

Also, i think u should get extra items or extra character points if you survive long enough and maybe if you’ve survived like 100 rounds as the same char it becomes a permanent thing that can be used on ur other characters as a reward

7 Likes

Which roles would be able to get promotions? Just combat marines?

5 Likes

Just squad roles imo as them getting promotions would cause less of an issue.

6 Likes

A blessing and a curse,

No longer an ability to tell a player from their character

Now people’s character doesn’t get stale

5 Likes

I worry about implications of event rounds, or cases during grief. Maybe make it a system of demotions instead, so the character isn’t lost forever?

Also, what will the promotions do? Just ribbons? I think it might start looking clogged on the uniform (we have only got so many pixels) alongside the playtime medals. Maybe make it a one-or-the-other system?

3 Likes

@Crimson By promotions, they mean ranks, as in going up a paygrade.

5 Likes

It’s a cool concept except there would be stinkers who would make it their mission just to end your streak. Regardless, I want more loadout points for this, maybe even loadout exclusives per rank, like a hawaiian face wrap or a custom mod 88 (white or gold colored).

As well as kept police records, medical records, and torn limbs replaced with metal ones.

7 Likes

Additional loadout items tied to player progression, or background choice has been a longstanding interest of mine. Don’t quote me on this, but I’d maybe be willing to assist with sprites for this if it gets off the ground.

6 Likes

I think if we go with loadout items for player progression via this, we can happily drop the rank promotion section which keeps the rank chaps happy.

6 Likes

I think this is a really good idea. Has the potential to really raise our profile. Excellent work.

4 Likes

TBH don’t see myself getting too into this, but Lord does it sound like an awesome idea. And unique loadout items would be sick for sure. I definitely see a future with evac pod hugging robustos, but such is life.

4 Likes

I am sure it would be good for roleplay especially for the less RP-focussed groundside roles, but I believe, the permadeath should get disabled during hijack so characters with this system enabled aren’t lost forever because some commander wanted to do a glorious briefing hold instead of evacuating.

3 Likes

I think that just makes for better rp. It’s always odd that marines don’t care shot life in hijjack. Plus there are clauses that let marines mutiny to get pods. Still I guess it could lead to people cryoing pre-hijack to avoid the risk

1 Like