Clothing items for Marines

Just an idea why not add ponchos and over coats to optional clothing times were they can be applied to uniforms and go over armors it would fit the setting considering the marines are based off of Vietnam era U.S. marines and you could give them passive buffs in inclement weather like if it storms marines might have better weapon handling because they are dry from the coat or poncho but the just look cool so add em i guess

2 Likes

The CO vender had the trench coat for a while, it was remove due to conflicts with how the vender handled the display of the clothes or categories or something.

In any case, the main reason why ponchos are not an option unless for specific maps often boils down to how much of the character is hidden.

Example of what i mean; In the past, a few xenomorph mains complained about the ponchos for covering too much of the marine’s equipment. Saying along the lines: “If I knew he had a shotgun, then I wouldnt’ve charged in” or something similar to that tune. So I am told anyway. In this it became a massive drama point and it ended up getting removed for a good while. Only recent maps like chance’s claim brought it back, and with synth’s snowflake vender also having it as an option.

Try not to become TGMC speedrun any%: Failed.

Jokes aside, TGMC has a bunch of coats. You have one cloak item wich you can change the color and sprite of. In general TGMC is a dream in terms of character customasation… for armor and shit. The setup outside the game is honestly behind CM. Maybe even less hairstyles then CM, honestly not sure.
But yeah, the coats are an item you can attach to the armor. Like patches, medals and all that. Pretty fun, but dont fit CM at all on that level. Still a very ligth mil rp version of it would be nice. Make it an item for character setup, should be fine.

But i find the explenation that in the days of yor xeno mains cryd “But i couldnt see what gun they had because coat, coat is too OP.” Wich is the most hilarious shit i have ever heard. The top of the sweatiest xeno mains seething because there strat of analysing the 10 fucking pixels the marine has didnt work. Pixels you cant see if the marine is looking in certain directions. And on a marine that is most of the time in cluster of other marines, moving and shuffeling between them. Respect if you can viably use that as a strategy but Good god. I know its important to balance after the top competetive players but not to this extent. If this is true, this is the same level of pandering ryze got from riot back when he was good in pro. Jesus christ.

Edit: I know its an actual strategie to see what weapon the marine is holding and its important to do that… But if the coat is so big that it hides that. Thats not a problem that coats dont work, thats a spriting problem. Im talking about weapons the marine would have on there hips. The thing that the coat would cover.

1 Like

honestly it would be cool to have a full body rain cover. One that can be applied on top of armor like the stethoscope on the lab coat. It would make sense for many maps to have one

2 Likes

just have the weapons displayed on the outside of the poncho i guess or just git good

2 Likes

The main issue was that you couldn’t tell what armor a marine is using or what gun they’re holding, and while some here have already voiced that they think it’s “not a problem” and “just xeno cope” (paraphrasing), I’m not here to argue about the legitimacy of it, I think that if it’s possible code wise (I have absolutely no idea if it is) they should make it not show up for xenos, so you can notice that somebody is wearing heavy armor and has an M39, and instantly run in because there’s no way in hell a robust player would be using that.

yeah… i went a bit on a rant there, sorry about that. You rigth.

1 Like

YES, YES, YES AND YES AGAIN! Mega-like

1 Like

I wish. But then again everyone will be running the poncho style.

2 Likes

The reason cosmetics obscuring pixels are not a marine buff on TGMC is because TGMC xenomorphs get the equivalent examine text of humans and can tell at a glance the state of a marine. On CM the difference between a gun that does over 1000 damage in one second and one that doesn’t is almost imperceptible, especially due to poor contrast and when CM has fewer brightness adjustments for xenomorph night vision than TGMC.

I don’t see a problem; soldiers, both in life and in CM, don’t all act like carbon copies. There is a general direction to the shape, like the color of the armor, loadouts, and helmets. Otherwise, each, as a rule, has its own expressive details:
Someone has glasses; someone has NVG; someone stuck cards on his helmet.

First off. TGMC i just used as an exampel for customisation varirity. A lot of the capes you can wear dont even obscour your weapons.

Second off. Yes, that a marine can pull out a buckshot shotgun out of the blue and shot you point blank with it to basicly one hit you is bullshit. I feel like shit when i miss a pounce and suddently get hot shot without a warning.
But a coat wont make it any more bullshit. Because fun fact, weapons stored on your armor are barley on the sprite. I was not exegarating with that number. Our sprites are small, and the details on it even smaller.
You can already hide a shotgun very very very well if you just carry it on your armor. Yes you can learn to recognize those exact pixels as a shotgun, but that is something only the top of the most sweatest of all xeno players do. Wich was the entire point man, you quoted me saying it.

Most of the xenoplayers dont give a fuck about that. Because most cant do that. And dont come with “A lot on the forums complain about it”. Nobody on the forums is a casuel. We are all waaaay too into this game and sweat a lot during gameplay.

The MAJOR way the coat would impact recognision of “marine carrys shotgun?” would be if its on the back. And fun fact, just make the back sprite the top layer. Fixed.

Ok, i vented now. Sorry.

Knowing what sprites look like isn’t exactly difficult, if you have even slight game sense you’re going to check what the marine has before you pounce them, claiming that only “the sweatiest of xeno mains” can do it makes it sound like you need to go to an optometrist.

I don’t really get the reason to know what gun the marine has, except for specs and such. The only thing you are getting out of it is maybe more attacks if you can’t see a shotty, but you could just always play around the shotty and play perfectly fine. It is quite litterary only the sweaty xeno mains who cares about it.

Ok @Ediblebomb . Put your money where your mouth is and tell me wich guns are these?

1. Screenshot 2024-03-23 000644
  2. Screenshot 2024-03-23 001151
  3. Screenshot 2024-03-23 011156
  4. Screenshot 2024-03-23 011258
  5. Screenshot 2024-03-23 011509
  6. Screenshot 2024-03-23 011803
  7. Screenshot 2024-03-23 012310

These are all unalterd sprites from the game of diffrent guns from various sides.
Non of them are dublicates.

You should be abel to correctly identify them all, you said yourself it isnt exactly difficult.

2 Likes

The big important one that can instant kill you (shotgun) looks very distinct on the back from all angles but the front, and on armor slot all angles but right
As for the pop quiz I’ve been playing CM very infrequently recently (on top of the massive break) so I’m not at the top of my sprite guessing game, though I do remember being able to do it back when I did play regularly.
(also I find it a lot easier with it on a marine)
(My xeno hours, which aren’t that high)

1 Like

Now heres the question. What do you even do with the information that the person has a shotty. Do you stay away from them? Do you play around the shotty? Do you simply go as normal?

Personally, there is nothing you should really change since as a backliner, you should just treat every marine as having a shotty. Pounce someone as a runner? Don’t hit them 3 times unless you can time it.

1 Like

Ok we migth need to get this one for you out first.
Buckshot does a lot of damage. It has the highest burst damage in the game apart from the sadars launcher i belive. It also has a uniqe mecanic where you can point blank a mob with it.
Buckshot also can inflict stun like slugs.
This all basicly combines into a quick fire combo where you stun the mob with buck, and finish off with your Primary. And in that time the enemy player is completly unabel to do jack shit.
Pointblanking a runner can also one shot them.

Now to you @Ediblebomb
Yeah the popquiz was cheeky, and i belive you that its easier for you to regonize the sprites on marines.
But one of the sprites i send is a shotgun. Not even a really rare one. I think. Some sprites are labeld weird.

But to the point with where the shotgun is very obvious on the back. 1. I already said just put that on the top layer. And 2. That and other problems of a similar nature have been fixed. Dont remmeber where i read it on here, but aperently someone went and fixed the raincoats. Wich doesnt suprise me. Like i said, just place the layers of the back and hip slots over the layer of the poncho.
It would suprise me if it takes much more then that, besides sprite work for the poncho.

I know perfectly well what a shotty does and what buckshot does. Its just that it dosn’t matter if i see it on their person or i don’t. I have 300 hours in lurker and runner combined, yet i have seen no real use of the information of what gun they have (unless its spec, then they are either a “shit you gotta run” or “priority target”).

Some people just like to use any advantage they have at their disposal. People like to sweat.