Its so over medic-bros

Now i can’t infinitly restock my splints, burn, and brute to essentially have infinite medical items groundside.

2 Likes

From Discussion to Acid Goop

What a stupid PR

4 Likes

Nice, can’t wait for this one though

3 Likes

Terrible PR name, great PR

I’ll never forget the first few weeks playing on this server years ago where I rolled as squad medic one round on Solaris and saw some random private dragging a med vendor from the hospital to LZ1 that was access hacked. I actually laughed out loud as they did my job for themselves, checking out the hospital there were multiple vendors completely filled to the brim with chems and useful items like defibrillators. Any half decent Bravo marine is going to eventually get multiple machines inside the FOB.

NGL thought it was a tad silly and overpowered for us marines all these years.

BTW marines have it lucky right now. Just wait until the PR arrives that limits splints to 1 stack per inventory space and 1 use.

6 Likes

To be honest i never duplicated the kits and splints, i always thought it was an exploit of sorts (against the rules by the way), other than injectors not getting limited by a reservoir in the vendor which could happen at anytime, this won’t affect me.

1 Like

I can see it happening.

Changes like this can’t be done in a vacuum - and unfortunately that’s what keeps happening. If you ask me, marines are already over nerfed on storage space and medical-everything, maybe not to an extreme degree but it keeps getting worse with every new PR someone adds. Even the almayer ammo supply is weirdly limited despite the fact if marines ever actually ran out of ammo wholesale you quite simply don’t even have a game anymore.

But it feels we just don’t know when to stop at “good enough” and the PR’s go overboard with changes just to have changes regardless of what issues it’s trying to solve, or if there’s even an actual problem to begin with.

We had the “free splints” issue come up in the past, and decided against “fixing” it because it’s pointless tedium for a core gameplay mechanic. You need marines to be able to apply splints, the balance regarding splinting isn’t whether you have splints at all, it’s in having the right time and place to apply one.

Likewise with the medicine, the ammo - the balance isn’t whether you even HAVE these, it’s in how they’re used.

Because quite simply, marines cannot actually fight without these things. You cannot fight without ammo, you cannot fight without medicine. This game is not a logistics simulator, I’m not playing Hearts of Iron here. If marines don’t have these things there isn’t even a game to play anymore.

What’s the ultimate goal of this stuff? That if a CT doesn’t wake up, then marines should just be defenseless punching bags for xeno players?

If you want interesting logistics gameplay, it needs to happen between the frontline and the fob. These kinds of PR’s are so alien to me in design goals and gameplay I struggle to empathize and understand the perspective of the people pushing for them.

5 Likes

LETS FUCKING GGGGOOOOOO! THEY GONNA TEST IT AND NEW SHIT! WWWWOOOOOOOOWWWW!

1 Like

I look forward to a single Corpsman player vacuuming up the entire burn and brute kit contents of a single Medical Vendor.

3 Likes

wow, what a terrible change! (it will be merged anyway)

5 Likes

Maybe cmo can set a limit on vended items for each person in each rank (doc, nurse, corpsman, etc.), tracked by the ID. Though maybe it’ll encourage corpsman to ask MTs to hack more of them

1 Like

The entire ordeal sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

11 Likes

Always liked logistics, this sounds dope.

2 Likes

The problem with the latest PR wave (Bonemend included), is there is literally no way to be clever with your supplies.

A marine either needs treatment, or they dont. You’re not going to find a medic who gets a kick out of deliberately wasting the contents of the medical belt, and then running back to FOB for a resupply.

All thats going to happen is, after you’ve run back to FOB, putting yourself in danger, and taking time off the frontlines, there’s a small chance that whatever supply you desperately need will not be in stock, and you either have to yell at Req (which most likely knows next to nothing about Medical, assuming there is a Req to begin with) and wait aimlessly for a few minutes while the supplies are hopefully dropped.

The Vendor “balance” as a whole, just throws on another punishment for literally playing the game as you’re meant to, with no way to avoid it.

This makes it so that medics have to more carefully pick their supplies, and plan ahead for resupplying

What does pick supplies more carefully mean? How am I meant to plan ahead for a resupply?

Going back to FOB for a resupply is already risky and time consuming, why do we need to make it harder for literally no reason?

Once again, the downvotes are not just Marine-mains complaining about a nerf. Literally every single HM main I have spoken to doesn’t believe the gameplay loop will be improved in any way whatsoever through this PR, myself included.

9 Likes

The statement of “carefully pick their supplies” does beg the question of what the author/s mean by that. Corpsman cannot substitute their equipment for a reasonable alternative ergo there is a binary state where either a Corpsman has enough medical supplies to heal the wounded, or they do not.

Ergo the truth of this statement is not “you need to think hard about what kind of items you want to take out of a larger selection of items that you cannot bring all of them with you”, but instead the statement really means “you need to decide how many splints, brute and burn kits you can take from a limited pool that is shared with every other Corpsman, Doctor and Synthetic”.

Perhaps if the system added dozens of medical tools but forced corpsman to make a hard choice on which ones to carry then I’d see something to support, akin to how Marines are offered half a dozen guns and different combinations of them and are asked to make a hard choice on which ones to take. But this system is just taking away all your ammo.

Ultimately the outcome is akin to making the Plasma supply of a Boiler, Hivelord or Carrier come from a global shared pool that can be permanently exhausted. You are essentially creating an artificial barrier to entry, that entry being playing the game. Anyone of these xenomorphs that runs out of plasma simply stops playing the game the same as a Corpsman who runs out of medical supplies will simply not be able to do their job.

Finally, I just dislike the idea that to make attrition more meaningful we just need to make the game more frustrating. This change does not raise the skill cap of the medical system, it just makes it more frustrating.

I’ll be interested in seeing how well this change goes on a 2 to 3 hour, high pop, round because I know from personal experience that even with a vendor that can vend infinite supplies its still a struggle to keep your med supplies topped up.

12 Likes

So much copium about making a things that’s not meant to be unlimited, limited.

5 Likes

The only recollection I have of you as a corpsman is overdosing me on tramadol and telling me to suck it up

7 Likes

Lol. Lmao even.

They type this statement after this mechanic has been a fact of the game for the better part of the decade.

7 Likes

I dearly hope this is satire

If not, you need to re-read the PRs

5 Likes