It's time to modernize CM in the only way possible: TTS

This man speaks the truth. It would be a pox upon us.

3 Likes

Honestly TTS is actually hilarious and its great to see when you see WJ react to ridiculous shit or a person being ground up by the ASRS with the most mundane things possible like talking about safety protocols or informing about the dangers of firearms and leaving.

But honestly if I had to be real I dont think people would use TTS to the benefit, most people are probably gonna just fuck around with it just because, I mean spamming “kill the bitch” or “ooorah ooorah get your ass over here!!” 5-10 times in a row would be horrible to listen to and probably ruin your “immersion” in a 2d pixel game (lmao)

6 Likes

Medeele you are right on the money.

2 Likes

There ain’t a gotDAMN way this ever comes to CM.

3 Likes

my unhinged arc continues

look at /tg/! over 300 different voices!

what we really need is proximity vc

So we can have SLs like this

7 Likes

TTS is no where near ready for the game. even if we took the best implementation of it into CM it would suck the life out of much the game. its fine on lrp servers but not cm. I’d rather have direct voicechat than TTS

3 Likes

we already have TTS if you played xeno you would have knowed that

1 Like

Necroing this thread for

~no specific reason whatsoever~

But I’d be keen to hear everyone’s thoughts pro and against TTS

There is no “against” really. It’s a client setting. If you dislike TTS for whatever reason, you can just turn it off and play without it. Again, it’s a personal setting. Being against this is like being against people using light mode, custom mouse cursor, UI themes, etc.

There is no adequate reason to be against TTS, let people enjoy things on their computer. You don’t have to use TTS, as you don’t have to use above head chat (a lot of people were against that as well).

4 Likes

pro tts: will be more immersive and enhance rp experience if we get a variety of different voices to choose from, in addition to adding a new way to partially circumvent tgchat that constantly keeps eating messages

anti tts: will sometimes cause lrp/nrp if mods dont do their job and moderate the server and player attempts to abuse the tts system to shit out spammy messages like just entering a bunch of exclaimation marks into the chat (which is all logged, by the way)

TTS is good

If TTS was restricted to certain leadership roles, such as Squad Leaders and a Officer using a Loudspeaker (and only Officers so rando PFCs don’t steal it) for example, or perhaps for the Queen over hivemind, it would be an excellent tool for good leaders to help keep their squads coordinated whilst also getting their attention. Of course in this context you risk people picking these roles for the privilege of using TTS and not to actually use the role in its intended form, but this is a issue that already exists and is working in resolving both from an admin and coding perspective.

If it was something that anyone could use, the benefits is that it would (if it had a similar level of customization akin to TGMC) be both a tool to help enhance a person’s attachment to their character as they can now customize their actual in-game voice, and it would help make the world feel more alive as people speak, scream, shout and akin as they react to the game.

I feel it’d be a net benefit overall, and as noted above it could be easily disabled for players who don’t want to hear it.

It just depends if you want this to be something everyone uses, or something only restricted to certain roles.

1 Like

There’s a significant overhead and cost associated with tts so it’s something thats would need to be worth the cost

1 Like

You should invest into VOIP instead :smiley:

TTS is just a worse VOIP. It works on goon and /tg/ because there’s like 30 people total on the server. Here there’s 200 people. Not really equivalent. Don’t think it’s worth the resources.

Now VOIP though? Now that would be so fricken sick. I’d love to have the cod death open mic for when people die to like a lurker or get solo capped hoooooly crap it would be so funny.

3 Likes

Funny af

Add this shit

How do I need react the comment above me?

John Madden

1 Like

200 players + TTS/VOIP is gonna be painful to moderate, granted that there might be some people that will find a way to game the TTS system.

Setting that aside, I believe that people genuinely enjoy CM13 because of its uniqueness and the “controlled chaos” one might experience. Having 2-3 people using TTS around me (hell it could be 2-3 SOs or SLs even) is “bad chaos” and “unfun”, moreso when I’m trying to listen to my own music, speak to someone else or just listen to ingame SFX. It makes CM into not CM.

Character voices work best in dialogue events in 2D games but beyond that it’d be immersion breaking. On the other hand, 3D games can easily utilize character voices due to directional audio and the way 3D games could be designed, something that is limited when it comes to 2D games. The immersion of a 3D game cannot be fully reproduced in a 2D game, and it seems that’s what we’re trying to do.

Everyone might be excited about TTS at the start, but I’m certain, people will eventually get annoyed with it. Setting that aside, we’re not Goon or TG - we’re CM13 and we’ve our own sprite style that is more “realistic” in comparison to TG/Goon’s more cartoon-ish sprite style.

3 Likes

then they turn it off :))

1 Like

Make it a preference setting that you want hear it, or not. In that case any argument against TTS besides lag/resources could be applied to admeme music and lobby music. You don’t want it, it ruins your immersion/whatever? Just disable it in your options, so you can feel like nothing has changed.

I think it is cool, it helps during heated moments, I don’t have to look above SL, or in chatbox to know whatever he said, its more customisation and while possible to abuse, it is just as easy to abuse as writing *scream in chat.
Someone typing “Meow” in chat is just as annoying as hearing “meow” in TTS. I don’t see it as something harder to moderate than regular chat with the only difference being some “haha funny haha” guys would be more inclined to giggle while writing some stupid sentences like they can in google translate.