Make mutinies last into hijack

It doesn’t feel very satisfying when a mutiny (something that rarely happens) is stopped due to hijack i think it would be alot more interesting if there would be 3 groups fighting on the almayer possibly having the mutineers trying to not only flee but prevent the CO and XO from leaving as well

11 Likes

Ok now explain to me why the hell this would make sense for any healthy-minded human being to do in a roleplaying game.

1 Like

Nah, I don’t want marines going brrrt on each other while benos pick off the people not being brrrrrted. Atleast give marines a chance to win hijack instead of just HvHvX.

There’s tons of examples of military mutiny in combat. Vietnam stories are littered with accounts of squads and units fragging an officer for suicidal orders or detaining them.

Plenty of movies have the same defy an order and take command plot points.

6 Likes

Agree man.

3 Likes

Agreed, I don’t want to hold hands with someone who OBd front even though I did that however that’s besides the point since I want to pew pew against MPs and CIC + AI with Sadar on my team

3 Likes

Counter point: this would make hijacks shorter

14 Likes

Even better

7 Likes

True

OK, that argument changed my mind, everything that makes hijack shorter needs to be speedmerged the benodev way (no feedback or anything, just speedmerge).

4 Likes

Yes, you can literally already mutiny Command DURING Hijack if they give suicidal orders or are otherwise threatening you. That’s already policy. Has been for ages.

What I meant is why the hell anyone of sensible mind would continue through with a mutiny in which Humans turn on fellow Humans, when suddenly the alarms go off and everybody is informed they have about 30 seconds before all shit goes loose on the ship.

There’s no real in-character reason for ANYONE to continue pointing a gun at their fellow Marines - hated or not - when suddenly they know the Xenos are coming to finish them off.

I understand why some people may view this as an issue.

The issue with post-evac mutinies is that it is very rare for one of these mutinies to actually conclude before the xenos commence hijack. Many of these hijacks end up being a speedrun as you literally do not have the time to try and roleplay out the situation, so you get Marines just bum-rushing the Commander/aCO and gunning everyone down.

Even if you speedrun the odds are by the time you reach CIC, hijack has started, so whatever issues you have with the CO/aCO are left unresolved.

Personally, every single time I have authorized a mutiny, every single one has been cancelled early due to hijack.

However, I don’t believe there is any solution to have here outside of asking staff to force the xenomorphs to delay hijack, but is that really fair?

1 Like

Thats relatively obtuse.

CO marines are blocking hijack. CO committed a crime and other marines are trying to ensure his capture. Marines dont want CO to escape custody… etc…

Same thing could be argued about why would any sane marine frag their LT while repelling a bunch of vietcong. It happened during combat. It happened outside of combat. I feel like you’re either intentionally ignoring multiple instances of it occurring in movies, games, and life, or theres some other reason outside of “theres no rp reason.”

3 Likes

I agee man.

I think there being factional PVP during hijack could be cool, the policy should be tested out. Mutinies are pretty rare so it’ll be a mix up.

Only addendum is that if you’re a mutineer during hijack you should be completely fair game to be permaed by any non-mutineer but you can’t just open up on them.

Also mutinies shouldn’t be officially approved after hijack, would be super lame to be doing a last stand already in progress then 5 dudes pop up with the mutineer symbols in the middle of the hold and cause everyone to die.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m okay with this.
I’m happy to leave it up to admin discretion as well if the mutiny should be allowed to continue.
That’s what normally happens when someone ooc announces the mutiny is over.

6 Likes

Just going to poke my head in here and add what I haven’t seen anyone else discuss

I often see a lot of people complain about the ‘dry’ gameplay loop of a hijack, where every round we get our heads kicked in by the Bugs, or blow up the ship and kick their heads in

In my opinion, I think we aren’t considering the sheer beauty of the RP that would be generated if a mutiny lasts into a hijack. Marines would be forced to choose between possible death, or their ideals. Each deciding whether or not their convictions are worth laying down their lives over, potentially creating infighting and panicked desertions as the loyalists go completely haywire, especially if the mutiny head now has to direct marines to evacuate

Sure it may not be the best option for the powergamers among us, and a mutiny during hijack would almost certainly doom the ship… but maybe we might even have some fun in the process?

Strange to say, I know

Burke tried to kill Ripley despite them being under xeno siege. If anything chaos makes it easier to settle scores.

2 Likes

Yeah, but he’s a corpo goon… so he doesn’t have the real American patriot bonding experience the marines have with eachother, thus making it crazy to mutiny under hijack.

2 Likes

You’d be surprised how much COs and XOs live in ivory towers compared to the regular marine, and I could definitely see them getting the same treatment as Bruke.

2 Likes