Marine law, Military police and justice.

I’ve had a luck to witness a strange situation in game with quite controversial situation.

During briefing on briefing hall, XO accidentally paper sprayed an Alpha SL, after that SL started saying bad words towards XO and military police started surround him, trying to put cuffs on him for minor crime.

Alpha SL started running from MP, and got into Alamo drop ship, subsequently more marines tried to defend alpha SL from MP, and more marines got updated for an arrest for “Resisting arrest” and “interference.” which means 5 more marines, had to be arrested and one Commissioned officer. With 25 minutes total in brig, including spec and PO (Alamo DP)

If dropship wouldn’t start and siege of Alamo continued, unknown what consequences this may lead, in that moment i was mentally prepared for mutiny.

Personally i think in that moment MP shouldn’t perform such acts, that may lead for even more problems that it would have.

Also i have justice questions because according to Marine Law, MP had valid reason for imprison Alpha Squad Leader, but this leaded to even more chaos than just regular arrest, Via fighting on Alamo and subsequently arresting even more people.

Also who else had even more controversial situation with ML or MP? and who in these situations caused more chaos? (marines, command, MP, etc.)

Or someone who had “Amazing” regulation skills, that leaded to even more chaos, than it would normally actually outcome???

You may be better served with a player report if you wish to have a perceived injustice rectified.

If we’re just going to discuss the particulars of your situation, I would have to make the guess that…

XO - If you really push it, charges of Assault for pepperspraying a Marine without justification, 25-minute sentence. Likely it was an accident so the situation is a grey area but XO is still not smart if they accidently pepper spray a marine.
Alpha SL - Charges of Disrespecting a superior Officer. Additional charges of Disorderly Conduct and Resisting Arrest - Possible 30-minute sentence
Other Marines - Charges could range from Interference, Aiding and Abetting to Disorderly Conduct or more, depending on what actions they took.

Basically, a massive shitshow but I have no in-game context as to what is happening so this is all my subjective opinion.

If the XO just pepper sprayed the SL, and the SL said one or two bad words, I’d argue the XO was being overbearing but if the SL decided to go on a 10-minute verbal assault, then it becomes more justifiable to detain them.

2 Likes

I do not understand why people keep running away from MPs. You basically add 10 minutes to your timer of what could have been even a NJP. You also make them hunt you down, which if you are unlucky could end up on a shitter and get every charge applicable to your actions. It just makes everything worse. Besides you can always appeal or ahelp if you feel you were mistreated.

5 Likes

My thought about this situation is not about who is bigger jerk or who had valid reason for one or other thing, my point of this post about regulations as military police, despite the fact that i was MP that round, other officers just literally pushed SL with baton and intend to cuffing him up. (they failed eventually :laughing: )

I am speaking about situations that has some bull in it to be honest, but it usually out come plus minus without real conflict or riot, and those regulation problems that leading to even bigger mess.

If MP would be a little bit smarter they would justify NJP for an SL but they make a show with arrest, with usage of non-lethal, and riot with other marines on Alamo, and causing even more mess… and more potential brig visitors…

I think the real job of MP is regulate relations, justify and calm everyone down in those situations, and not baton for minors, causing those shows alike, that the main point of this discussion that i made, and i want too see what other people think about this situations and how would be better to regulate them.

*Added

Also rising my competence as military police officer to prevent and regulate possible inevitable conflict situations, prevent possible mutiny and conflicts in game.

Looks like XO started the problem however didn’t make it any worse instead Alpha SL decided to make the XO look bad and incompetent for some time which led to his(Alpha SLs) arrest after which Marines who didn’t want to lose their SL retaliated.

Honestly seems to be Alpha SLs fault for not calming down and making the problem worse assuming XO apologised to him.

Either way you shouldn’t be making your second in command look incompetent during an operation which could lead to marines being insubordinate from an IC view.

1 Like

Pretty much what I am thinking.

Though knowing the history of ss13 drama the actual “truth” of this event is either.

• The XO was actually tyranically throwing flashbangs at the entire Marine force and giving the single worst orders that any XO has ever given, with the valiant Alpha SL standing up and stating ‘t-t-this might be a b-bad plan, sir’ only for the XO to then order their immediate execution for sedetion

or

• The poor XO was defending themselves from the hostile Alpha SL who attempted to start a mutiny because the poor XO, operating with no other members of CIC and only one poor solo MP, had dared to suggest that one of Alpha’s engineers might need to assist with FOB construction.
5 Likes

Eh, maybe marines shouldn’t run away or assault MPs in an attempt to stop the arrest? The MPs aren’t really at fault when they arrest someone and the whole platoon tries to lynch them in revenge. Being a spec or alamo PO doesn’t make you immune to the law either. And batoning someone who is resisting is standard procedure. @steelpoint, since when is assault 25 minutes and DASO, disorderly conduct and resisting combined 30 minutes? The former without resisting should be 15 and the latter 17 1/2 or 20 minutes.

1 Like

Fortunately, it’s not up to me, I leave it all up the holy machine to decide on sentance timers.

1 Like

And here we back again, speaking about regulations, and justice.

From one side, locking every person that was being involved in mess would be juridically justified, due their law breaking actions, however setting everyone in jail, for 30 minutes everybody, including XO, SL, PO, and other marines taking their action in this, wound not end good, due their importance to the operation, no one will benefit from it.

On the other side we will not take any juridical steps and actions against them, because everybody has made this mess, no one will be punished, conflict will be unregulated, and the Marine law will be broken due un-convicted crimes.

Its easy to take someone to jail in this situation, we have the right, and the law says, that we have to do it, but the question is, “who would benefit from it?” and also, do not forget about game experience that everybody getting during game.

This is the same shitty justification that marines always use.

Your importance to the mission should have 0 bearing on your immunity to crimes.

If anything… if you are a spec, sg, etc. I would expect those players to be even more careful knowing their importance. Which is why rp standards now include those roles.

Yet that still only seems to come into play for most players as soon as the consequences show up.

Sidebar you seem to be under the misunderstanding that the reason people play mp is to ensure smooth functions… but its not…really. Sure we need mps to crack the skulls of the guy who wont stop breaking windows. But a lot of players play mp to be a designated asshole. I enjoy trolling the hell out of marines on mp and causing absolute chaos. I genuinely miss beck and have never laughed harder than some of the times I was playing mp with them. My MP is the exact opposite of my Synthetic and I love the difference.

The irony is that no one would play mp if marines just behaved. When everyone obeys the law… you see mps cyro like crazy. Its like you cant help yourselves, cant NOT break shit, cant NOT resist arrest. Its so funny.

(I have a million stories of mps causing half the ship to riot, if you are interested).

4 Likes

It could got worse if MPs or XO ahelped and had SL aslept or jban since new servers rules including SL has to follow orders and not being shitter.

2 Likes

this isnt a RP server all pretenses aside - cmon man.

yes, arresting the only deploying engineer instead of NJPing or warning them is active sabotage on lowpop.
yes, arresting the only true SL/FTL on lowpop is active sabotage.

1 Like

When I play mp I dont really care if marines win or not. All that matters is crime.

I am a peaceloving hippy synth
A rambunctious and loyal marine.
An arrogant, vane, and narcissistic doctor.
And a tyrannical, sadistic, and merciless mp.

2 Likes

counterpoint: big book says this is bad.

if you don’t want to actively sabotage the operation engineer/SL, then stop breaking the law, if you don’t then MPs have no ability to arrest you.

3 Likes

Honestly speaking if you break the law is your fault. Just ask the CE or CMO for stuff, or the Commander.
Don’t break shit, don’t bother the MPs, and expecially if you roll your spec role once in every 1000 times fucking play it.
It’s your fault for ruining your own round, SL could have just asked the MPs to arrest the XO, and after examining the evidence they could have done that.
as @kooarbiter just don’t break the law.

3 Likes

As an MP i report to the CMP and the Provost Office, i could care less if we loose the operation, blame the people who decided to break the law.
In game i always say to people witnessing me arresting for DtGP that it’s the fault of the suspect that now marines will get less resources and people to the ground.(2k for glass, 1 MT/CE, the Suspect).
The one sabotaging the Operation are them, Not me for making sure the ship run as it was intended.

3 Likes

This is the way.

There is no excuse for criminality

Trust not the mutant, the xeno, the heretic, or the criminal.

2 Likes

dam i remember i was to lazy to do somthing.

1 Like

Citing three different universes in one post, all three of them quite good

1 Like