Memer1 - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Application - Memer1

What is your BYOND key?

Memer1

What is your Discord ID?

burgz smugly#0001

Do you usually play a specific character? If so, who?

Kolton ‘poet’ Straub (Previously ‘hyena’)

What whitelist applications have you previously completed?

None besides an approved mentor application, which is not a whitelist but might be worth mentioning.

Synthetic Info:

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play:

Baron

What is your Synthetic’s Personality?

Medieval knight.
He’ll have a rigid code of honor (which is simply how he references his lawset) not to harm any life undeserving of it.
He’s often seen wielding his “sword” named Harvester, which is rather clearly just a standard machete.
He believes himself a knight, not one of particularly noble descent, but one who upholds his “liege’s” commands to the best of his ability.

How will they react to the different ranks of the USCM, what would they talk about in a one on one conversation? What are their interests? What is an advertisement logline that could be written for them?

Baron is an entertainment synthetic in the style of a medieval knight, even going so far as to carry a suitable weapon. He is capable of altering his speech for the sake of staying in character, machetes become swords, commanders become kings, etc. When the situation requires, his programming dictates that he drop the act.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?

Well, robots have always been some of my favorite fiction characters since I could even read, they’re just rad as hell. I have often thought about what synthetics would be cool for my own personal writing, and I’d love to put a few of those ideas to use.

What is your most memorable interaction with a synthetic?

Admittedly, I haven’t had many very memorable interactions with synthetic, even as XO or groundside. Though I hope to make quite a few memorable interactions for other folks. If I had to answer at gunpoint, I’d give a rather lame answer of “Interactions before drop in CIC regarding their orders”

Synthetic Character Story:

Skills:

Engineering:

I’d say I am highly competent in engineering, I struggle to think of things I couldn’t help with besides ordinance.

Command:

I often play XO, I can do overwatch, read the tacmap, and relay commands. I can also send out req crates and OBs, following proper procedure like confirming coordinates.

Medical:

Rather familiar, though I am not very well trained in research or using more advanced, niche chems.

Requisitions:

I could put together a FOB crate, but I wouldn’t know how to do it most efficiently or balance a budget. I can handle the front desk perfectly fine.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.

I am dragging a wounded, incapacitated marine from the frontline to the FOB for proper surgery, and a xenomorph attacks.

I am protecting an innocent crewmember from an attack using non-lethal techniques.

I am walking back from the front to the FOB and I am attacked, I defend myself, not killing the xenomorph and instead scare it off.

One case I CANNOT fight in, is a situation where those capable of defending themselves and others are already present, like on the frontline.

Final Info:

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?

I have gotten one EORG recently, it was not intentional. No jobbans at all.

Are you currently banned from our Discord?

No, and I am somewhat active in it.

Let us know why you were discord banned.

N/A

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?

Even if this is denied, I found it fun and informative making this application. I’d also like to thank more folks then I can reasonably mention in this panel for helping me write and edit it. I’d also like to thank filk writers for giving so many great inspirations for my characters, Baron is certainly a mix between both fantasy and sci-fi filk that I have listened to.

Seems an edit I made wasn’t saved. Editing it within the two hour grace period to change the details of his weapon from a spear to a machete.

So I uhhh have to ask, word is you had some issues while playing SEA with a lot of LRP stuff.
Kinda of concerning for a role that does require a lot of RP.

I had a bit of trouble with a report to the mentor overseer about a bit of LRP behavior (Specifically, it was about me using a fire extinguisher and a wheely chair, no real excuse for it beyond the classic “I was bored”.) but I would say with confidence that I almost always maintain medium to high roleplay with my characters. I can’t imagine any way to prove something like that beyond eh… witness testimonies, which I’m happy to gather if you would like me to.

From what I’ve been told, there was a couple of other incidents as well, not just the fire extinguisher and office chair. If you cannot uphold your standards as a SEA, a role which expects higher roleplay standards, what guarantee would the council have that you wouldn’t break synthetic guidelines or roleplay standards because you were bored?

As for the application itself, I think the personality could use some toning down. I like the idea, but I believe it’s been taken a bit too far into the extreme end here. I haven’t seen you much in-game either, and I don’t believe I’ve managed to see you in any support roles. I know you’re a mentor, but it’s much preferable that your experience can be verified firsthand for a synth application.

A minor issue is also the frequency at which you brought up your synthetic application before posting it, some of it bordering on advertising it. If I recall correctly, you also mentioned it in-game in deadchat. Please dial it back, it’s understandable to be excited, but try not to post about it so much.

There is no guarantee I can give besides my word, it might also be best if I prove myself more and gain a better reputation. Maybe apply again another time.

Could you be more specific about how it’s too extreme, and as for support roles, I have been mostly playing SEA and XO these days, thought I’ve been meaning to do some more groundside work lately.

I haven’t brought it up since, and I’ll continue doing that. Sorry if it seemed like I was trying to advertise it in some way, won’t happen again.

I feel like a post of my playtime might help to give an idea on my experience. While I lack much time in support roles groundside, I have quite a few hours in SEA, CMO, and squad leader.

Hi Memer1, thanks for your application to Synthetic.

Your quirk is not bad, and your story demonstrated it decently.

However we believe that you could dial the quirk slightly back to be a little more subtle, and potentially improve your gameplay synergy as a result of it.

Your experience answers were good but you also do need to understand 95-99% of chemicals out there in case you are ever asked or need to use them. In addition, you should have a better understanding of requisitions.

Should that all be forgiven, the biggest hurdle with your application as of now is your recent string of infractions and the lack of support role experience. You have a high chance of acceptance if you straighten yourself out more and play more support roles.

Unfortunately due to the above two reasons I have to deny this application, but you may reapply in 30 days!

1 Like