Mentor Application - Ahana

Quick load gave you a fair chance to respond to a valid question. You could have chosen just to ignore it if you didn’t want to answer questions about your past conduct.

Your kind of attitude is not what should be shown to new players. You might know how to do stuff in a 2d game, but teaching is a whole other ballpark. You have an influence on new players that you’re teaching.

Please don’t hammer out a response, you have a tendency to try to get the last word in. It’s -1 from just a community member, not even a mentor. Don’t let me live in your head rent free

3 Likes

I’ve had minimal contact with you in my years of playing CM13. In my personal opinion, I have no problem with anyone trying to prove they’re turning a new leaf. I’m overjoyed a knowledgeable player is applying for the mentor team! That being said, I have my concerns. I’m not one to only take someones word for something, and avoiding questions leaves a bad impression. Avoidance of a wrong doesn’t make it go away, but winning the acceptances of others though on your behalf by answering and explaining, without being combative, would have helped you much more.

The general consensus within the community, excluding the MP players who are vouching for you here, is that you are one of very few people who are regaurded with “avoid all contact with if possible” when both in game or out of game.

I think however that you would bring a wealth of knowledge despite the anymosity towards your character, both digital and self. I hope you shed that sentiment and develop a reputation not just as a mean sprited sadist. Just dont use mentor as a stepping stone and tool for your own devices.

Good luck going forward.

2 Likes

-1 I struggle to support someone who has such a terrible reputation in the community that a majority of folks who’ve interacted with you don’t want to do it again.

Having read a number of the player reports pressed agaisnt you over the last few years and your responses on your applications I don’t see a serious effort to improve your reputation either. Mentor might not be a popularity contest but I’m not sure I’ve seen the community this hostile to a single person based purely on IC interactions.

Lastly I’ll echo the fact that mentor is not a steping stone towards moderator. If you want to be a mentor I believe you should make the same effort to repair your reputation as you’d need to be a moderator. So if your real goal is moderator just do that.

3 Likes

I will give a -1, I barely have any interactions with you in game or OOCly so that doesn’t really matter as much for me but the biggest issue this app suffers from to me is that it was made (probably not instantly but it’s pretty close) after the denied mod app. It just makes it seem like this app is just made in order to get a +1 to your reputation stat in order to get the minimum rep so you can apply for mod instead of actually just wanting to be a mentor. It doesn’t really help that god literally knows who told you to do so in order to gain the communities trust or whatever, which is funny since after that you also mention that it won’t change anything and yadi yada.

If you did the mentor app first I don’t think anyone would have doubts about your want to become a mentor, but the comments on the mod app and this app going up relatively quickly after the mod app being denied doesn’t instill me with much confidence. I wouldn’t complain if you say, had a bajillion messages in gameplay help on the discord, but as is, it’s going to be a -1 from me.

5 Likes

I had plans to apply to become a mentor previously. I lost interest in it and CM for a bit, but it’s returned.

By the time I was ready to start filling out my application again, mentor applications were closed, so I turned to make a staff application. I would’ve been able to do the same things as staff (as a lower priority, of course) so there was no point in making a mentor application and a staff application simultaneously.

You can view my incomplete mentor application here. It was last edited on September 29, 2022; far before I ever started working on a staff application or had one in mind.

Echoing what @Mammle2 said about how fast you put in the mentor app after the your mod app was rejected, it didnt sit well with me how fast you put this app in. After your mod app, I myself was hoping to see you over the coming weeks if not months show us your better new and improved side BEFORE you put in the mentor app or another staff app. Not less then 24 hour later. I can only speak for myself but my free time scheduled is all over the place, and I dont always get on like I used to as much as I liked too, as such I have not seen you play and seen your changed self very much so I cant say you have changed or well be better then you are now.
I have to say your knowledge of things in-game is good. Sadly the way you jumped on this after your mod app was rejected and the fact I cant with any certainty I cant say you have improved to the point where someone like you is good for mentor with the reputation you have. -1 from me.

1 Like

As I said in my last post, this was not a “jump of the gun” to apply for mentor. I started as far back as September but had to discontinue. I’ve put in tens of hours since my mentor application went up, and probably rounding near 100 since the staff application has been up.

I also have a question: what does reputation have to do with mentor? Genuinely, aside from being superficial, I am inquiring as to how my reputation is going to alter the information I give in mhelps, or as a SEA. What will my reputation change about being a mentor? This is a general question, aimed at everyone who is weighing it in. My behavior is clean, there haven’t been any incidents for probably around six months at this point, so I can grasp the rules well; but I’m failing to see the connection to reputation as to how my mentor performance will be impacted.

Alright. So, maybe not everyone here was given the talk I was when I was asked to apply to mentor by the old guard, but what was said to me rang true, and ive always stuck to it.

A “Pinnacle of the community”. Someone who when you see them, you are elated that they are around and automatically know they have your back. Someone you see and you automatically know they will give it their all to make your experience a great one, and actively make the experience that is CM a positive one.

Do you think you give that vibe?

• It’s not about your ability to answer Mhelps. Anyone can look at the wiki and find the answers for themselves in less than 30 seconds if they want. It’s in the name. Mentor. COMMUNITY MENTOR if we’re being specific. If you need to, look up the definition of mentor. Business mentor, personal mentor. Whichever drives the point home better for you. It’s not just about answering questions. That’s not mentorship. That’s playing help desk.
2 Likes

As @Mal_Gloire said in his own words, I will try to expand more on this. Its about giving out good current, relevant info to mhelps. Its about talking about things of all sorts in msay and mentor channels in CM discord and giving out advice and saying things like “yo man copper that mhelp we got last round did you remember to tell them “x” as well cause there was s slight change when you were gone the weekend?”. Its about backing up fellow mentors with info and helping the player experience.
For example when I play SEA and got a new boot in bravo and lets say I see @Felix_I_Cash_Taylor is bravo SL and he is on the FOB leading bravo, mentor or not I know that man knows his shit. He knows how to lead, he knows how to be a great fobbit, etc. I know I can reach out to him IC on bravo comms and let him know about the new bravo boot coming down, and that I need him to show him around the FOB and pair him up with someone who will also help on that front. I know in the end of the day when most of the time I cant deploy on the FOB because a new boot wakes up, I can pair up the new boot i just had with a experience marine a player and the learning experience keeps going and he has his fun at the same time. That new boot will see and meet someone I the SEA paired with him as a good dude and will show him the ropes more so on the ground when outside or even in the FOB. I will pick someone I know that put me at ease, that makes me think" yah this person will is reliable, and they also would be more then willing to help with the new boot". Its about being seen as dependable by not just a few but by a larger part of the CM community that they can say about you “yeah that person is solid, dependable, etc.”

2 Likes

After consideration of your moderator app, as well as the progress you displayed to me in DMs. I am happy to +1 this application. I believe your ML knowledge is enough to teach other people IC as SEA (though be careful doing so) and I have seen you around in roles such as doctor or XO. Though I would like to see an increase in engineering hours.

1 Like

I’ve recently just played a game as a Lcpl MP and when I walked in I saw beck. I asked for standing orders only for her to reply (along the lines of) “Do you know what you are doing?” I told her no. From then on, for the next hour I sat in brig and she taught me the procedures to detaining people, how to add charges, and send people to perma. addition to teaching the basic rules of MP. At one point when she was trying to teach me, she asked me," Tell me what the gear in your belt does." And she made me list them because I Thought I knew what they were and she proved me wrong and gave me more info then I know what do with. She was very cordial and patient too. When I asked here where it said to do X in marine law, she pointed to the exact line. She is a superb teacher and I don’t know any reason why she should be stopped from helping others like me.

And for that I can easily give her a +1

She taught me more in 1hr then ever other MP’s did in three hours.

Edit1

Fixed Grammatical errors

All I see in this application are +1 from people who actually interacted with Ahana and got taught by them in the last few months and the -1 almost solely coming from people who actively avoid them and at most spoke to them more than a year ago but still somehow find a way to judge them on this app? If somebody actively teaches people I struggle to justify giving a -1 simply based on bans or reputation from months ago. +1

1 Like

This was certainly a hard decision. I considered denying it for the same reasons your moderator application had been denied, I also had the consideration that I don’t want the mentor team to be considered the “not good enough to mod” or “rehab program”. I’ve come to the decision that your application will be accepted as long as you agree to the caveat that you may not apply for Moderator within the next year.

3 Likes

Why do you insist on sanctioning me for a full 365 days when I’ve already shown I would pursue mentorship regardless of my moderator application status if my application is already accepted?

Well you say you’ve “shown” it I don’t really know what you’ve shown as as far as I know you can simply be all talk. I’m not really sure why you have any issue with this unless you believe you intend to become a Moderator? I originally supposed just six months, but I figured a year shouldn’t be any issue since you expressed such an interest in being a mentor firstly?

If you believe you would rather pursue the Moderation Team I highly suggest you pursue it, there are ways to show improved conduct other than on the Mentor Team. The ‘sanction’ is only a sanction if that’s your intention.

2 Likes

I showed you an application I began well over 6 months ago and have not edited since. You should be able to view the history of the application. If it’s incorrect, I’m happy to show you it from my side.

As for the rest of your statement, my interest in other applications should have no interest in determining the outcome of this one. Nor should they be held to any extra standard or sanction than another player’s application.

I have exceptional knowledge of the game, my behavior is clean, and I have worked out the issues I’ve needed to. I don’t believe it’s fair to hold me to any exceptional standards than anyone else. I don’t think blocking other applications that I put up when I feel are right, or want to be reviewed, is in the capacity of being correct here.

If I choose to apply for moderator after receiving mentor - then that’s my business - it should have no effect on whether or not I qualify for mentor. That is nowhere in the guidelines of the applications, the rules, or any other preset agreement and I feel it’s unfair that I am being put in this bubble.

That is certainly your opinion to have, I discussed the idea with the Moderator Manager beforehand and they believed it was reasonable. I, on review, believe your conduct could require more time for review, but considered I’d be willing to give you a shot on the condition you were not to also apply for moderator within a certain time frame. I won’t lie a year certainly is excessive though.

4 Likes

I believe any time is excessive.

You state mentorship is not a stepping stone for staff, and you do not want me to use it as such and I’m assuming this is the whole reason the sanction is being placed. If mentorship cannot be used to staff (even though I don’t even want to use it as a “stepping stone” for staff), why does it matter if I apply for moderator anyways?

I don’t understand why I’m receiving special sanctions if the mentor position does not count toward anything anyways. If you are going to enforce this ruling on me, will it also be applied equally to everyone? Will everyone be forbidden from applying for a moderator 1 year after receiving mentor, or however long you decide to sanction me for?

Unless this is going to be a universal ruling, I don’t think it’s fair that I have received 0 disciplinary actions in almost 6 months, and have enough knowledge to be a mentor, am going to receive a sanction for having a denied moderator application.

Every player is different, given your circumstances I believe it’s in order. Truthfully, almost all my vocal mentors tell me that I probably shouldn’t even accept you at all, but I’m willing to accept that you may have improved yourself despite your hesitation to speak on any of your former actions in this application. No one is guaranteed mentorship and everyone has different circumstances and sometimes you will be held to different standards based on your past it’s as simple as that.

On finer discussion I believe three months is rather reasonable on a restriction for applying to Moderator, you seem insistent to consider it a punishment. Consider it that way if you wish, but I see it as a show of consistency to the position while there are some questions you may just intend to use it in-place of getting Mod or as a stepping stone to do so. As well this is just my own personal opinion I imagine if you rushed to make one that quickly anyways you likely wouldn’t be accepted.

I won’t lie it’s also a rather good idea to perhaps make it compulsory for all mentors, perhaps upon further hashing it out I just might. Either way, I leave it to you if you wish to accept Mentorship under these circumstances, or feel free to decline and continue to disciplinary action free, show you’ve improved your standing with the community, and in a month I’ll consider an application again or you might consider applying for the Moderation Team per their regulations.

2 Likes

I thought about it yesterday, and I have decided to reject the terms.

I do not want to be held to standards that no one else is. My applications should be my business, and should not matter when it comes to others. At this time, I was interested in becoming a mentor, just as I was in the past. I was carefully crafting my previous application, which you can see, but I let go of CM for a while. I came back, applications were closed, and so I turned towards applying for staff.

I explained this and provided my evidence, and if you still don’t want to believe me, that’s fine and it’s completely your choice as the mentor overseer.

I recommend you set flat expectations for mentors that you hold the bar to being equal for everyone, so people understand the requirements, and don’t get stamped with a sanction without warning all the way at the end after weeks, like what just happened to me.

I will not be reapplying for mentor for the foreseeable future.

1 Like