Wyman Shord
Drake Schlofield
John Javolt
Ben Bradsee
Stephen Malekn
Matt Seversmann
Chris Mratt

Why do you want to become a Mentor?:

Seeing as though mentor seems to be one of the best positions to be in for experience which is why I chose to apply for mentor. But that’s not the biggest nor main reason, the main reason being that I simply want to help and teach better with more tools and hopefully help more people, I’ve tried to help new people as job roles but certain restrictions such as LOOC not being overhead and sometimes having to use IC chat to get a new player to read something that was said in LOOC I feel like is bending the rules. I wish to become a mentor to solve these issues and other predicaments that arise when teaching as a job role. I wish to help where I can and I feel like becoming a mentor is not only a good place to start but also a good opportunity to gain experience and knowledge on subjects that I did not know otherwise.

Simply put, I wish to become a mentor to at least get a foothold on experience and hopefully help some people along the way.

What gameplay areas do you know and which areas are you strong and weak in?:

I am strong/proficient in:

Medical (Surgery needs a bit of improvement but I know how to do every surgery in an acceptable time)
Policing/Marine Law
Aspects of Intelligence Gathering and Processing
Marine Gameplay/Mechanics
Cargo Mechanics
Staff Officer Gameplay/Mechanics
Engineering (Cade placement may need improvement but mechanics are well understood)
Botany
Chemistry (Both medical and research)
Rules/Roleplay Guidelines
Alamo Transportation
Basic Xenomorph Mechanics
Facehugger Mechanics
Drone Mechanics (Both strains)
Spitter Mechanics
Runner Mechanics, this one is to a lesser extent though.
Defender Mechanics
ERT Mechanics

I am weak in:
Leadership/Command (with the exception of SO), mechanics though are decently enough understood.
Cooking (Mainly Maintenance Technician)
Expectations/Objectives of Combat Correspondent/Corporate Liasion when roleplay is not one of those.
Mortar Operations
CAS
Medevacing (Mainly from PO not so much from Corpsman perspective)
Fulton (Again mainly from PO perspective and not IOs)
Orbital Bombardment
Leadership Tactics
Anything related to Whitelist Knowledge beyond what is given
Warrior Mechanics
Boiler Mechanics (some knowledge of how to shoot and switch types)
Sentinel Mechanics (This one is to a lesser extent because sentinel was relatively easy to learn and understand)
Any other Xenomorph Mechanics/Roles beyond what is considered basic

Anything else not listed here I either have basic knowledge of or simply followed under one of the above.

How often are to able to play CM?:

Generally speaking im able to play CM most of the week, school does limit that but as its an online school not as severely. Generally speaking I can fit in about 4-8 hours a day.

A screenshot or transcript of your human and xeno playtimes:

https://imgur.com/a/QrKu70Y,

Anything else you’d like to add?:

I’m gonna be honest here, I don’t expect to be accepted mainly because of the hours that were provided, and a lack of recognition/experience, I’ve tried my best here but I have a feeling that this will be denied, which is fine as feedback could be given for what could be approved. Additionally, many of the things listed here are subjective and could change in the future if new knowledge is gained, I understand these hours are low and I’m relatively unknown. But I’m hoping that I at least get feedback here. Other than that small rant that’s all.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Well to be frank, mentor isn’t a role to get experience, and i don’t think i recognize any of your characters. Maybe apply again when you get enough experience. -1

2 Likes

Hey there, Howtochew5gum. Thanks for taking the time to apply.

Normally I want to see a good amount of hours from people that apply, and your overall hours are pretty solid… but, that being said, your xeno hours, while not necessarily disqualifying, are a bit of a concern. Half of your xeno playtime is as a facehugger, and your next highest is eight hours as a drone.

Another major concern is I do not recognize any of your characters at all, and I can quickly tell at least a few of your characters are spoof names of celebs.

If you don’t mind answering a few scenarios, I’ve got some for you. Some of these may not have a right/wrong answer.

1: A mentorhelp comes in: “My HUD is gone.”

2: You’re the senior enlisted advisor, and nothing is happening on the ship, and you have nobody to teach. What do you do?

3: There is one lone MP who is trying to keep order during briefing, but order has broken down and marines are borderline rioting. What do you do?

4: The round is four hours in, the CO has been dead since 30 minutes into the operation (he was decapitated by a runner), and the XO has an almost-decrypted nuke sitting in the FOB that is being sieged. The XO orders you to go to the FOB to organize it, control the nuke, and rally the marines to push out to finish decrypting. What do you do?

5: A mentorhelp comes in: “How do I do the inspiring cry? Can I macro it?”

6: A mentorhelp comes in: “I can’t nest this guy but I’m in the hive” - the guy in question is currently alive and unconscious from being hugged, and you can see the player in question standing next to a thick resin wall with hive weeds under it, and the KO’d marine is appropriately next to the wall as well.

Hi! Yes, some of the names are spoof names I made very early when I started playing, I didn’t want to change them in case it invalidated any possible recognition some people may have had but once this app is approved/denied they will be changed to less pop culture/meme names I can guarantee that much.

With that being said here are my answers:

1: A mentorhelp comes in: “My HUD is gone.”

A: Answers will vary depending on if it’s all the HUD or only some segments but provided it is all of the HUD I would respond something like this: “Hello! If your HUD is broken I recommend going into the OOC tab top right of your screen and clicking “Fix Interfaces” and “Refresh TGUI”, if your chat window is empty after pressing either of these two buttons please click “Fix Chat”, if the issue still persists I recommend trying to close the Game Instance and reopen it or to reconnect via going into “File” on your top left and clicking “Reconnect”. Additionally pressing “F12” may be beneficial to solve this issue as it will switch HUD modes, just remember to press it one more time if you only see your hands. If none of these fixes work please let me know and we will continue from there.”

2: You’re the senior enlisted advisor, and nothing is happening on the ship, and you have nobody to teach. What do you do?

A: In this scenario where there is nothing to do or nobody to teach it would be beneficial to serve as a pseudo-assistant, what I mean by that is assisting with menial tasks such as corpse transport until something pops up that I can fix or alleviate. If there is nothing else to do even corpse transport for example providing roleplay and thus roleplay experiences might be a beneficial thing to do whilst waiting for something or somebody to teach.

3: There is one lone MP who is trying to keep order during briefing, but order has broken down and marines are borderline rioting. What do you do?

A: In this scenario, it would be best to first inform over MP Radio of this situation, as well as informing command of it if MP numbers are low. Whether to or to not intervene is a dilemma but if intervention is possible without the risk of the MP being harmed/killed and thus myself I would attempt to intervene and hopefully stop the situation. Whomever this may be risky as being SEA I may not have access to MP tools like flashbangs. If I do however have access to non-lethals/flashbangs or have them on me using said tools to help the MP not be murdered would be beneficial seeing as though this is an emergency. Whomever performing policing duties beyond saving the MP is not something I would help with beyond tutoring unless the MP is still in an emergency. This is all assuming I am a SEA watching this happen.

4: The round is four hours in, the CO has been dead since 30 minutes into the operation (he was decapitated by a runner), and the XO has an almost-decrypted nuke sitting in the FOB that is being sieged. The XO orders you to go to the FOB to organize it, control the nuke, and rally the marines to push out to finish decrypting. What do you do?

A: As command is not a strong suit this answer may not be satisfactory but I will still try my best. As this is an order I would follow it, first I would make sure to don combative gear mainly a helmet and vest, and also bring a gun with satisfactory ammo amounts. Once planetside though I would begin with organizing the marines, I would make sure there is at least a minimum of four marines watching each open side of the FOB from where xenomorphs could flank or attack, if there are any leftover marines or a side is particularly overrun (ex: is a frontline) more marines should be stationed over there, if marine numbers are low majority should be guarding where the main combat/frontline is but still have one marine on each open side of the FOB as to serve as a warning signal and defense against potential flanks. In a scenario where there is such low marine numbers and the majority have to be kept on the frontlines to keep xenomorphs out I would at least make sure there is one marine who is patrolling the FOB mainly making stops to unguarded portions of the FOB that could be vulnerable to flanks to at least ensure we are notified if the frontline changes or if there is a flank. If an opportunity presents itself such as a certain section having low amounts of xenomorphs dedicating some marines to push and secure that sector may be beneficial but they should be on an advisory to pull out if resistance becomes heavy. FOB should be held until it is safe enough or an opportunity is presented to push out of it. Additionally, if there is not a marine manning mortar I would have a marine do so unless the area that xenomorphs are seizing cannot be pierced by mortar. If xenomorphs pull back or retreat marines should push and look to secure the area and continue pushing until resistance is met, at which point the marines should hold at that area until it is once again safe to continue. If the nuke is ready and armed during all of this order marines onto the Dropship shortly before the nuke goes off. If the nuke is not armed continue holding and pushing until it either is or xenomorphs are killed. I would also ensure after a push is done to at least make sure there are some marines at FOB such as Bravo to ensure it stays secure. CAS, OBs, and Mortars should be being used during all of this as well.

5: A mentorhelp comes in: “How do I do the inspiring cry? Can I macro it?”

A: “You can do the inspiring cry or as players call it a warcry via typing in “*warcry” in normal chat manually without the quotation marks, whilst this command can be macroed, keybinds for it exists too which may be easier to set up, to set up a keybind go into “Preferences” in the top right portion of your screen and click “Edit Hotkeys” from there search up “Warcry” and bind a key to it. You may macro it as well if you wish to do that instead. If you need any more assistance please let me know.”

6: A mentorhelp comes in: “I can’t nest this guy but I’m in the hive” - the guy in question is currently alive and unconscious from being hugged, and you can see the player in question standing next to a thick resin wall with hive weeds under it, and the KO’d marine is appropriately next to the wall as well.

A: “Hello! First I want to make sure you are trying to nest this person correctly, first, make sure they are grabbed, then simply click the wall with the hand you are grabbing them by as your active one (basically make sure the grabbing hand is selected), this should nest them automatically, if this does not work please try a different wall that is weeded and if the issue still persists please let me know.”

With that being said I do apologize for the player names but again as stated above once the approval or denial of this app is given these names will most likely change as I do understand they are a bit LRP.

A1: Very good. I’m very pleased with the response here.

A2: This one had no wrong answer. Well - it probably does, but you’d have to try to get it wrong. Basically, I’m looking to see if you’re going to be seeking opportunities to roleplay.

A3: This is one of those gray area scenarios. Per the mentor code of conduct (and this pertains to A4 especially with your response, but we’ll get to that) you’re not supposed to engage in police duties, and riot control is a police duty. It’s okay to help the MP or get him to safety, but deploying flashbangs or LTL tools is probably not a good idea.

A4: Whew. This one’s a doozy. I appreciate the long-winded response, but as per the mentor code of conduct, you’re not allowed to deploy into the FOB during a siege. I should also point out that you are not required to deploy against your will as the SEA, so it is not an order you have to follow (again, this is in the code of conduct).

A5: Good answer.

A6: This one was an intentional curve ball. There’s a bug where, if a hivelord upgrades a normal wall into a thick wall, that wall cannot be used to nest people on. A lot of people aren’t aware of this being the cause of some walls not being able to be used for nesting.

Overall, I’m quite pleased with the knowledge answers, but I’m displeased with the lack of knowledge of the code of conduct - which you should have familiarized yourself with prior to applying. For that reason, I’m going to give this a -1 for now.

I’d like to see you play just ONE or TWO characters and work on becoming a more recognized name in the community (as a mentor, you are the face of the community), perhaps spend some time in Discord talking with people in VOIP if you’re comfortable with it, and ensure you are familiar with the mentor code of conduct (for obvious reasons). If you do not get accepted in this round, try again in thirty days and I’m confident you’ll make it if you work on my suggestions.

I see, may I request this application to be closed/denied? A future one with more improvements and thus more knowledge will be sent at a later date hopefully.

Thank you.

Withdrawn. Normal re-application restrictions apply, hope to see you when you believe you’re ready.

Added mentor:denied